V12 Installation issues

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
offgridqld

HTPC Specs: Show details

V12 Installation issues

Post by offgridqld » Tue May 17, 2016 12:54 am

I was very happy when I discovered WMC was now a working option for windows 10 :D . I discovered the news on a webpage that had a link to a zip file that I downloaded https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AL9 ... ion=locate it downloaded fine and unpacked without issues.

I followed the basic steps listed at http://www.windowscentral.com/install-m ... windows-10 Everything worked as expected and I had WMC on my windows 10 laptop.

I then did some searching and discovered that the version I downloaded was most likely a old one and would have a lot of issues?

From what I can see it looks like V12 is the one I want. So I downloaded V12 from this link https://mega.nz/#!7kdR1ICb!1TCdTd_UpqtY ... 8PVD21mrAU I downloaded it through my Browser (firefox) So now I have the 65.5mb file sitting on my desktop but I'm having issues unpacking it and installing it.

I cant open it with any of my RAR extractors or zip programs and windows 10 wont access it. So what am I doing wrong with this V12 download? Am I meant to be able to unzip it and access some installers like I did with the old version or is this something different?

Sorry for the basic question must be missing something.

Kurt

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Tue May 17, 2016 1:17 am

Ok I see my issue now. The programs I was trying couldn't extract 7z files. All good now .

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Tue May 17, 2016 7:05 am

I can get V8 to install and no issue's installing V11 as well. Though no luck with V12 :(

When I try v12 It looks like it has installed fine. No errors or the like. Though when I try and open the WMC app/icon It looks like its going to load for about 5 seconds but nothing happens.

I tried reinstalling V8 and uninstalling and then going through the V12 install again but same issue.

I really just want to use WMC one task. Scheduling recordings of free to air DVB - T (in Australia) with my usb twin tuner. I don't need any of the other features of WMC. Should I just work with V11 or keep trying to sort out V12?

Kurt

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:03 pm

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1200602

This link is to the official source of WMCv12

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Tue May 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks for that . I have been sifting through that huge thread. To date I have just been testing/playing with this on my laptop (was windows 8.1 upgraded to win10) As mentioned I started out trying with a very early version of the win10 WMC a few days ago. Then tried v12 with the above results. Now I just have V11 running on it. At least I have some experience with it now befor I tackle the actual HTPC I want to use it on.

Though I will try and upgrade my HTPC this weekend that's at another location. It was windows 7 ultimate and was upgraded last weekend to windows 10 ultimate. My plan of attack is to just try V12 on it and see how I go. Fingers crossed its a smooth install.

Kurt

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Find one of my posts over there, and in my signature there is some links to the various versions. v10 was a bit of a struggle, v11 was perfect except for the security breach all though all the apps I tried worked great. v12 has all the "fun stuff" in it such as extenders and multiple RDP connections. For example you can connect to your Win10 WMC from multiple workstations, and even over WAN. Try the Search Thread rather than Advanced Search. I use local bookmarks/favorites to remember where stuff is.

Meluvalli and Gareth North wrote the book on Xbox in Win10. Graznok and T-S did most of the RDP stuff. Abbodi is the wizard that splits Win10 wide open and injects all these projects. They truly are master craftsmen.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:04 am

offgridqld wrote:I can get V8 to install and no issue's installing V11 as well. Though no luck with V12 :(

When I try v12 It looks like it has installed fine. No errors or the like. Though when I try and open the WMC app/icon It looks like its going to load for about 5 seconds but nothing happens.

I tried reinstalling V8 and uninstalling and then going through the V12 install again but same issue.

I really just want to use WMC one task. Scheduling recordings of free to air DVB - T (in Australia) with my usb twin tuner. I don't need any of the other features of WMC. Should I just work with V11 or keep trying to sort out V12?

Kurt
Go to v12 in my signature....your specific issue with v12 is covered in the first 10-20 pages. The first time you open WMC use run as Admin.

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Wed May 18, 2016 12:22 am

"Go to v12 in my signature....your specific issue with v12 is covered in the first 10-20 pages. The first time you open WMC use run as Admin."

Thanks, I will give that a go. :D

Also I have to give full credit to anyone who puts in so much of there personal time into something and offers up there hard work to everyone's advantage. Unfortunately my skill level in that area wont be of much use. Though I'm happy to share my experience on the chance it could help others having the same challenges.

There has been a big shift locally to steaming most content via the web. Though considering a large portion of what is being streamed is content that is all ready being broadcast via our local free to air digital broadcast network. Often broadcast over the air at 1080 HD resolution. I sometimes question why stream it at a lower resolution and sound quality via the web. For one it uses a large chunk of your data quota and even if you have a unlimited data plan. It's still going to bog down your connection. Particularly if several people in the home are all streaming at the same time.

Don't get me wrong often I have used the streaming services to watch something I missed recording. So its nice to have that as a back up. Though considering the content is being broadcast across the air for free without effecting your broadband connection at all. i think WMC is a great tool to take advantage of this and I think recording FTA TV via the guide is where WMC shines.

Though locally with this big push towards encouraging everyone to take full advantage of streaming (catch up tv) I can see this having a impact (and it already is) on our relative slow oversubscribed broadband networks. With everyone sitting down for the night to watch streamed tv shows that were broadcasted the night befor. That they could have simply recorded using WMC.

A worst case long term scenario would be all the free to air TV providers make the choice to turn off thee broadcasting towers and offer all there broadcasted content via live & catchup streams at (low quality).

Kurt

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:12 am

Its only right to give something back to the community that helped me so much since 2009. I like the idea of keeping WMC around for awhile, even though the powers that be want her extinguished.

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Wed May 18, 2016 4:59 am

I just had another go at installing V12.7 . Everything looked to go smooth as usual. This time as suggested I opened the app using run as Admin. It just did the same thing. Loading icon for 5 seconds then nothing.

Kurt

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:40 pm

offgridqld wrote:I just had another go at installing V12.7 . Everything looked to go smooth as usual. This time as suggested I opened the app using run as Admin. It just did the same thing. Loading icon for 5 seconds then nothing.

Kurt
What page are you on with your reading? The first 10 pages cover most of the installation errors

I guess you haven't made it this far yet.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1214920

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Wed May 18, 2016 10:39 pm

I have read through a good chunk of both links.

The only post of relevance to my issue (WMC installes ok but wont open when you click on it) That i could find was this one on page 342.

Try to launch the WMC recovery task. Usually WMC not starting means corrupted/invalid configuration files.
The recovery tasks just cleans up them for you.
Other than that I get the impression that having a copy of V8 to use as a clean up tool befor attempting a V12 install is handy. Its also worth trying to use the uninstall two times with reboots to make sure it has worked.

I also read that Some people(well at least one guy) has never had any luck installing V12 unless it's onto a fresh clean install of windows 10.

Other than that most of whats in the thread isn't relevant to the issue I am having as its about extenders and the like.

So I will give it another go. I will Install V8 then uninstall using V8 uninstaller (two times) . Then install V12. If it installs ok but wont open when I click on it. I will use WMC recovery task.

from a quick search WMC recovery task is
Right click on Computer > Manage > Task Scheduler > Expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Expand it to locate Media Center > Highlight it > Locate MediaCenter Recovery Task > Click Action tab in the menu > Select Run.
I hope this is heading down the correct path with.

Kurt

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Thu May 19, 2016 12:11 am

ok I just went through all of the above and got the same results.

I think the attraction to WMC was always that it was simple, supported and just worked out of the box. I think at this stage for me anyhow it's lost that advantage when you try and hack it to work with windows 10.

If Im going to go through this much messing about I my as well invest the efforts into configuring a open source solution on my windows 10 HTPC and enjoy the benefits. I just downloaded Kodi and Nextpvr. Looks like this kind of solution has come a long way over the years.

Thanks anyhow for the time and effort trying to help me with WMC for W10 .

Kurt

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:09 am

One last one and I am out of ideas...

If you haven't all ready, try to follow the instructions in the Readme.txt Something as simple as not using a short path can mess things up.

Another help file included in your WMC installation folder is Workaround.txt
Attachments
ShortPath001.jpg

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Fri May 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Tonight I was able to access the HTPC that I intended to use WMC10 on. It was a fresh install (upgrade) to windows 10 just last week. I just ran v12 installer without even rebooting between steps and it just installed 100% perfect first go:D To easy hey!

I tried almost everything on my laptop through the week and it just didn't want to play nice on that pc for some reason.

So great outcome in the end and thanks again for the support along the way.

Kurt.

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Sat May 21, 2016 5:55 am

Testing WMC10 V12 today on my HTPC. Everything is working as expected except one important thing.

It wont wake up from sleep and record a scheduled recording from the guide.

I have tried several times today. The pc sleeps after preset time but I notice the scheduled recording didn't record and the PC just stayed sleeping.I wake it with the mouse of keyboard and no recording have taken place.

I have checked the time on the pc and its 6 seconds fast so think that's fine. Reading the (workarounds) mentioned that no tweaks are needed and gave reference to a old tweak to fix wake to record. I tried that anyhow and no luck.
to make WMC wake up for recordings, you may need to make "NETWORK SERVICE" a member of the administrator group

Run lusrmgr.msc, or right-click on Start button and select: Computer Management > Local users & Groups
then:
Groups > Administrators > Add > "network service" > Check names > O
Google search just shows the old tweak mentioned in the workarounds.

Kurt

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:33 pm

offgridqld wrote:Testing WMC10 V12 today on my HTPC. Everything is working as expected except one important thing.

It wont wake up from sleep and record a scheduled recording from the guide.

I have tried several times today. The PC sleeps after preset time but I notice the scheduled recording didn't record and the PC just stayed sleeping.I wake it with the mouse of keyboard and no recording have taken place.

I have checked the time on the PC and its 6 seconds fast so think that's fine. Reading the (workarounds) mentioned that no tweaks are needed and gave reference to a old tweak to fix wake to record. I tried that anyhow and no luck.
to make WMC wake up for recordings, you may need to make "NETWORK SERVICE" a member of the administrator group

Run lusrmgr.msc, or right-click on Start button and select: Computer Management > Local users & Groups
then:
Groups > Administrators > Add > "network service" > Check names > O
Google search just shows the old tweak mentioned in the workarounds.

Kurt
Somebody figured out an easier way since the readme was written. The command in the picture is for v11

On mine the recording problem was corrected with v12

The command was not necessary in v12

This is covered on the 2nd page of your reading assignment

Attachments
NetworkServiceMembership.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:52 pm

It appears that somehow you have reverted to v11

Here is your reading assignment for v11

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1189634

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Sun May 22, 2016 12:08 am

It appears that somehow you have reverted to v11
I cant understand how. This HTPC isn't the win10 laptop I was playing with during the week with all the different versions and couldn't get v12 to work.

This HTPC is a fresh install of windows 10. Friday night I downloaded v12 to it and installed it (worked first go) So this PC has never had v11 or any other on its hard drive.

Unless v12 can revert back by its self then that has me stumped.

It even mentions in the workaround that I tried anyhow
old-not-needed workaround, left for reference:
so it's v12.

I will read through the links you posted and see what I come up with .

Kurt

offgridqld

Post by offgridqld » Sun May 22, 2016 12:43 am

After some reading i found this.
Fortunately, I have found an alternative solution: the Task Scheduler XML schema includes a SecurityDescriptor field that can be used to specify the ACL in the XML file. Deducing the correct SDDL string from the contents of the "WMC64\bin\Acl" file and setting them in the Tasks XML files seem to do the trick. Here's the change I made to "WMC64\bin\Tasks\StartRecording.xml":

Code:

<Task xmlns="...">
<RegistrationInfo>
<URI>Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\StartRecording</URI>
<Date>1982-01-15T16:30:00-08:00</Date>
<Source>$(@%systemRoot%\ehome\ehres.dll,-126)</Source>
<SecurityDescriptor>D:AI(A;;0x1701ff;;;NS)(A;;FA;;;BA)(A;;FA;;;SY)</SecurityDescriptor>
</RegistrationInfo>
</Task>

For those not familiar with Security Descriptor Strings, the descriptor above means "inherit; grant most permissions to the network service; grant full permissions to administrators; grant full permissions to system". I tried to link to the MSDN reference for this but the forum doesn't allow me to post any links

I was about to do the same for the other tasks, but then I noticed that most of them already have security descriptors - I only had to do the above for two tasks: mcupdate_scheduled and StartRecording. Looking at the ACL file, I think I understand why: it's because these are the only two tasks that don't have special ACLs - they simply rely on ACLs inherited from the "Media Center" folder, but as I mentioned above that doesn't work. If we explicitly define ACLs for these tasks in XML, everything works perfectly.
Then I noted this....
Notice that these two tasks don't event exist before the first record scheduling. On Windows 10 ProfessionalWMC SKU I then tried to schedule a recording and it didn't work until I changed logon account to local administrator on ehSched service.
My MCPC is running windows 10 professional Version 1511. So could this be why I am having some extra issues or why the fix built into v12 isn't working as expected?

Should I try the above
changed logon account to local administrator on ehSched service
and then try the fix
Code:

<Task xmlns="...">
<RegistrationInfo>
<URI>Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\StartRecording</URI>
<Date>1982-01-15T16:30:00-08:00</Date>
<Source>$(@%systemRoot%\ehome\ehres.dll,-126)</Source>
<SecurityDescriptor>D:AI(A;;0x1701ff;;;NS)(A;;FA;;;BA)(A;;FA;;;SY)</SecurityDescriptor>
</RegistrationInfo>
</Task>
Kurt