What are the advantages of W10 Media Center?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
john321

HTPC Specs: Show details

What are the advantages of W10 Media Center?

Post by john321 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi,

I've been browsing around in the Windows 10 Media Center sub-forum for a while, and all I've seen are the problems associated with running Media Center on Windows 10.

Can you please tell me the advantages of running Media Center on Win10?

I'm happy camping on Win7. What am I missing?

EDIT: I should clarify that I know that Media Center is essentially identical on Win 7, 8 and 10. The "advantages" to which I am referring are those that are gained in the "Formerly Known As Metro" interface in Win10. Additionally: do any of those Win8/10 apps work with an infrared (eHome) remote now???
Last edited by john321 on Thu May 12, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu May 12, 2016 12:15 am

Nothing in WMC itself. With Win 10 you do gain better streaming apps like Netflix and a newer OS that will be more compatible with new hardware and software in the future. The most cited reason for converting an HTPC to Win 10 is DirectX 12, if you care about that kind of thing. That's about all I can think of. There are many more drawbacks to WMC in Win 10 than advantages.

Some people just can't stand that there's something shiny and new out there that they're missing out on, in spite of the fact that it's worse than what they already have. You've done well to resist as long as you have.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu May 12, 2016 12:29 am

john321 wrote:Can you please tell me the advantages of running Media Center on Win10?
None.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

john321

Post by john321 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:06 am

I appreciate the responses from mdavej and Scallica. I added an "edit" to my original post. I understand that Media Center has not changed since Win7.

What I am looking for here is whether or not the Win8/8.1/10 "apps" have added any value. The last time I looked at the Win8 apps... they could not be controlled by an IR remote.

Has that changed in Win10?

Is there some other (more pressing) reason to "upgrade" from Win7 to Win10?

Some background:

From what I've read in the past, the "upgrade" from Win7 to Win8 and Win8.1 had some pains for Media Center users... but none were insurmountable. Recently, users have posted on TGB about methods to make Media Center work in Win10. That's wonderful. However...

The "apps" in Win 8/8.1/10 do not seem to have any relevance for a Home Theater user who wishes to use an infrared remote control.

So, my question is this...

Outside of Media Center, do ANY of the Win10 "apps" work with an infrared remote? My preference would be to use the eHome remote that works with Media Center.

AND... are there any Win10 "apps" that aren't already replicated on Roku or other streaming devices which would make it NECESSARY to "upgrade" to Win10 on my Home Theater PC????

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:54 pm

john321 wrote:The last time I looked at the Win8 apps... they could not be controlled by an IR remote.
Nope. Play/pause generally work but you can't navigate around.
john321 wrote:AND... are there any Win10 "apps" that aren't already replicated on Roku or other streaming devices which would make it NECESSARY to "upgrade" to Win10 on my Home Theater PC????
Not to my knowledge, there are far fewer apps than on a dedicated streamer. You are much better off sticking with one of those.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:01 pm

I have been using WMC in Win10 since Xmas 2015. The version of WMC that is used in Win10 is the same as the WMC in Win8.1

There are a few advantages to WMC on Win10.....

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1228751

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 12, 2016 4:20 pm

I will 2nd what everyone else says. The Version of WMC in WIndows 10 is from 8.1.... And with 8.1 over 7 you lose "Always on top" and "start WMC when the computer starts" (Although they can all be set via the registry). There ARE some registry mods and hacks on 10 where you can get video running over RDP (Remote desktop) and some other minor fixes/hacks. Otherwise there is 0 advange to running it on Win 10, accept if you run Windows 10, you CAN have WMC.

Also Extenders do NOT work right out of the box, there are some "hacks" needed to get them to work.

Personally, I only use WMC on Windows 10 for my office machine (primary gaming machine), I share out my Ceton tuners so I can watch TV on my Gaming computer. Also I have a Win 10 tablet that I do it on as well. In a nutshell it works great, and is very solid for the most part. I can have one of my favorite features from 7 on Windows 10...

If your running Windows 7 for a dedicated home theater PC, There is no need to move to 10... I ONLY put it on my Office machine is because I game on it, (DirectX 12 is not available for 7 or 8.1, ONLY 10 (7/8 go up to Directx 11)

If you want to stop the annoying Win 10 upgrade thing... create a .reg file out of this and inport it, this will stop the OS upgrade and the annoying messages..

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001
john321 wrote: What I am looking for here is whether or not the Win8/8.1/10 "apps" have added any value. The last time I looked at the Win8 apps... they could not be controlled by an IR remote.

I was hoping for this too, this could make some epic apps for WMC but, no, as said above, Transport works but, navigating does not, on 8.1 and 10... There is even a way (a hack) to get a 8.1 app to show up in WMC start menu but, if you cant use them with a remote...what's the point ?

I looked into this pretty big, Even tried about 20 different 8.1 and 10 apps, then popped out a WMC remote, some apps could do minor stuff but, nothing that would make 95% of them usefull.

What a big disapointment...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu May 12, 2016 9:03 pm

3rob3 wrote:
john321 wrote:The last time I looked at the Win8 apps... they could not be controlled by an IR remote.
Nope. Play/pause generally work but you can't navigate around.
Actually there is this which supposedly gives you full control:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... oller.html

But other streaming devices still work better.

john321

Post by john321 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll just stay on Win7. I already disabled the Win10 upgrade message. I used GWX Control Panel to do that. I also disabled automatic updates in Windows Update when I read that MS was pushing it without asking.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Fri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm

The only advantage for upgrading to Windows 10 - taking advantage of the free upgrade offer now, so that when you do pull the plug on WMC, you can upgrade that system to Windows 10 without having to pay for the Windows upgrade.

If you have a spare HDD - you can do the upgrade on the extra HDD now - store that disk for now - and then use it when you decide to stop using WMC.

dgre057

Post by dgre057 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:45 pm

So, I've been using Win8/8.1 for our HTPC since it came out. Media Center is "always on top" (I actually find that a bit annoying), without any registry hacks. I can navigate the Windows start menu with my WMC IR remote (and using a programmable Logitech remote, I can even exit to the start screen from WMC). I primarily use the Plex Windows App, and I can navigate in the app, as well as play/pause/skip etc., with my WMC IR remote. I've also used the Hulu and Netflix apps and have no problem navigating with my WMC remote.

I've recently updated two of our HTPCs (that access the tuners on the main one) to W10, and am running v12 of the "WMC for W10" project. I've had no issues so far, but am waiting a while before I upgrade the main lounge HTPC.

If you're happy on W7, then by all means stick with it. But from my perspective there are a few advantages to running W8/W10 on an HTPC. To me, it feels like a bit of a waste to have an HTPC but only use it for WMC (even if some of those other uses would require a keyboard). With the growth of OnDemand, streaming-based media, WMC has become (for me) just one component of my media system. And if you want to use your HTPC for things outside of WMC, W8/W10 provides a nicer interface to do it. The full screen start menu (on W8 or W10) with its large tiles is actually quite nice to navigate from the couch. Windows Apps (there actually are some useful ones) are generally easier to use from a distance than a desktop program/website (unfortunately new apps tend to be W10 only, which is the main reason I've been looking at WMC on W10). And I really like the Edge browser over alternatives.

Anyway, I offer that as a counter perspective. But perhaps I just can't stand that there's something shiny and new out there that I'm missing out on ;)

eeprom

Post by eeprom » Wed May 25, 2016 5:09 pm

The only point for WMC on Win10 at this point is as a DVR. Hopefully SiliconDust or Ceton or the like will come up with a solid ‘app’ based solution that leverages network tuning.

The play/pause controls for eHome remotes generally work decently well. There’s just no native navigation support. Might be worth it to purchase a cheap air mouse remote or use an existing smartphone as a mouse/keyboard. The old RemoteKC project can probably still be dug up if you want to try and use your IR remote as a mouse/keyboard. Just thoughts.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed May 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Ceton? Don't count on it.

eeprom

Post by eeprom » Wed May 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Ed  wrote:Ceton? Don't count on it.
Yeah, probably not. But the HDHomeRun DVR pitch has my interest anyway.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 26, 2016 1:37 am

Ceton ? Their 8.1 driver works perfect on Windows 10.... and I have my PCIe tuner shared out from Windows 7 and watching TV with it on Windows 10...(office machine)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu May 26, 2016 1:49 am

DavidinCT wrote:
Ceton ? Their 8.1 driver works perfect on Windows 10.... and I have my PCIe tuner shared out from Windows 7 and watching TV with it on Windows 10...(office machine)
That has nothing to do with what he said that I was replying to - Ceton coming out with a new app of their own. Ceton ain't making anything anymore/ain't coming out with anything new.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:23 am

\~/ + \~~/

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri May 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Only thing I can think would be possibly be UEFI boot if you're using an SSD or M.2 drive.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri May 27, 2016 6:07 pm

JTScribe wrote:Only thing I can think would be possibly be UEFI boot if you're using an SSD or M.2 drive.
Win 7 has UEFI boot/install option. I did it with mine when I was still on Win 7.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:11 am

Ed  wrote:
JTScribe wrote:Only thing I can think would be possibly be UEFI boot if you're using an SSD or M.2 drive.
Win 7 has UEFI boot/install option. I did it with mine when I was still on Win 7.
Right, but it's much faster in 8/8.1/10.