Detecting HD Homerun Prime Tuners via WiFi?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
eclas

HTPC Specs: Show details

Detecting HD Homerun Prime Tuners via WiFi?

Post by eclas » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:58 pm

I don't think this is possible but...

I have a good working Win 10 Media Center on my spectre x360 but it has no Lan port only wireless.
I can watch all the videos on my server running WMC (except DRM of course) and all is well.
I have 2 hdprimes so I was wondering if there's any way to get WMC to see those tuners for setting up live tv or is it as I expect and I'm out of luck for that option?

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:19 pm

I would "guess" that the performance (especially on HD) might be "iffy", but have you tried to install the HDHR drivers on the WMC box and use the SD software? If they can see the primes, then WMC should see them too. May have issues with the CableCard advisor, but should be able to work around that.

Give it a try and let us know!

eclas

Post by eclas » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:20 pm

well, i tried a few more things.
I have discovered there will be no way to play drm with the win 10 WMC due to you cannot activate correctly.
When you try to setup the digital cable advisor it wants a media center product key which is impossible to get. :)
It is useful on my spectre for watching anything on my wmc server as long as it's not protected tho.
I can watch live tv via the time warner app. sd's view app for windows still doesn't allow drm channels. I sure wish they'd get that corrected soon.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:31 pm

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10080

"On most systems the Digital Cable Adviser automatically generates and registers the product key needed for WMC to use an OCUR tuner.

If WMC detects the HDHomeRun Prime CableCARD tuners but prompts for a product activation key then enter the following key:

263DJ-2Y9YT-6X9G6-W28DB-697TF"

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:50 pm

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:45 am

To eliminate the Wireless issue, you can always get a USB to network dongle.

eclas

Post by eclas » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:15 pm

ok, tried a couple more things.
The code from mcewinter fails. digital cable override worked (i think).
When it 1st downloads the data I get an error about the guide not being downloadable due to too many failures but it gets past that point (i did do a fix for rovi which worked on my server and until I did that I couldn't even get past the initial downloading at signal setup). It tells me to check the tray icon for the log but until I can get it to run the tv signal setup fully I'll never see that icon.
It IS seeing the hdprimes.
I still get activation failure and just answer no for trying again.
Then when I click 'next' to confirm setting up with digital cable (cardcard) (4 tuners - didn't bother with tunersalad yet) It freezes up with the spinning busy icon.

I think I'll give up on this. It wasn't really needed. I was just tinkering to see if it could be done and I probably wouldn't have used the recording function with my spectre anyway.
I do hate giving up on a tech problem tho! :)

EDIT: I left the busy icon alone and it did finish. I now can click on the livetv but I'm getting a display error about protected content on any channel but that may be a problem with the guide too.
Apparently the digital override did not work. Still have to get past that activation problem?
i run the override and then try the digital setup in wmc and it fails activation.
I'll keep tinkering and let u know what I come up with. Got other crap to do today tho.
Thanks for all the tips!

eclas

Post by eclas » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Unless someone has any idea I guess I will give up. This is where I ended up...

At initial setup after wmc tries to download info I get this...
wmcSetup.JPG
Then if I continue I get this...
activation.JPG
Lastly I get here...
playready.JPG
No activation key I try works and I think that would clear up the drm issues. The downloadable guide info is another story.
Hopefully silicondust will overcome the drm issue and be a full replacement for wmc.
Merry Christmas to everyone and have a happy New Year!!

pointz1

Post by pointz1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:57 pm

I also about ready to give up this is frustrating. I have a Z580 lenovo laptop and it also has this activation nonsense. Time Warner Cable (TWC) as well. When i first ran DCA it passed the first two but failed on the video card. Apparently it doesn't like the HD3000 on board graphics its not HDCP compliant. The laptop was initially able to view channells in WMC but I came back a day later and got the activiation error. Is your spectre x360 suppose to be HDCP compliant?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:42 am

eclas wrote:well, i tried a few more things.
I have discovered there will be no way to play drm with the win 10 WMC due to you cannot activate correctly.
When you try to setup the digital cable advisor it wants a media center product key which is impossible to get. :)
It is useful on my spectre for watching anything on my WMC server as long as it's not protected tho.
I can watch live tv via the time warner app. sd's view app for windows still doesn't allow drm channels. I sure wish they'd get that corrected soon.
If you start out with a properly activated Win10 and the correct version of WMC for Win10, the key you are looking for will populate automatically.

What version (file name with ALL the numbers) of WMC are you using?