Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

JoeDown

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JoeDown » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:45 am

It's now working again even though I didn't do anything. Now I'd sure like to know what the cause was.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:48 am

Strangely, I did have to sign in again on my Xbox 360 yesterday. It acted as though I had just installed it.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:52 pm

zenischosen wrote:For me it just loads the Netflix home page as if I was using a browser. I can still play anything, but I have to use a mouse. Remote signals do nothing. I tried restoring it but it still does the same thing.
Mine started doing this today.
gbwelly wrote: The classic fix works -clear the cache in internet explorer, log into Netflix using internet explorer, play something. Then go to Netflix in media center, sign out and back in and away you go.
Will have to try this when I get the chance.

blupupher

Post by blupupher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Well, started opening as a web page again...

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Mine plays it as though it's through the webpage, but it plays the videos fine. The problem is no remote commands work, and the display goes to sleep and it asks to click continue watching often.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:44 pm

zenischosen wrote:Mine plays it as though it's through the webpage, but it plays the videos fine. The problem is no remote commands work, and the display goes to sleep and it asks to click continue watching often.
Same here.
gbwelly wrote:
stuartm wrote:Anybody sort this one out? Or, is it gone for good?
The classic fix works -clear the cache in internet explorer, log into Netflix using internet explorer, play something. Then go to Netflix in media center, sign out and back in and away you go.
This did not resolve my remote/webpage viewing issue. May have to try out Marc's new beta Netflix plugin sooner than expected.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Yeah, I am seeing the same thing. remote commands don't work. Using the back button gets me back to WMC but the player continues playing. Anybody know how to fix this? I am now trying out the Beta of the new WMC Netflix app and it is working reasonably well with the remote.

JoeDown

Post by JoeDown » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:53 pm

zenischosen wrote:Mine plays it as though it's through the webpage, but it plays the videos fine. The problem is no remote commands work, and the display goes to sleep and it asks to click continue watching often.
I'm having the same issue. I did find that if I click the maximize button over to the right it will prevent the screensaver from activating but the no remote control is really annoying. So does this mean that MS actually updated the plugin someway? Or did Netflix fix it? This whole thing just seems weird.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:17 pm

has anyone tried this?? I don't have windows 8 or 10 on my htpc so haven't bothered but would love to hear from someone that has used it

http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:54 am

epayson85 wrote:has anyone tried this?? I don't have windows 8 or 10 on my HTPC so haven't bothered but would love to hear from someone that has used it

Hell, I'll give it a go tomorrow, the blurb looks promising.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Yea it looks impressive to the point I might try 8.1 or
Trying the wmc 10 install.

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:33 am

gbwelly wrote:
epayson85 wrote:has anyone tried this?? I don't have windows 8 or 10 on my HTPC so haven't bothered but would love to hear from someone that has used it

heck, I'll give it a go tomorrow, the blurb looks promising.
Ok, gave it a go. For the most part it worked, double clicking the app launched Netflix. I was able to move selection of the titles, accompanied by the mouse pointer jumping as I used the directional buttons on the remote. I couldn't select the search icon. Pause button worked as it always has anyway. Skipping forward and back also worked which was nice. For now I will stick to controller companion, and revisit this in the future, it's not far from a workable solution.

CharlesLam

Post by CharlesLam » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 pm

just tried it and the executable just removed itself and it gave an error stating it needed escalation in privileges. almost like a virus :-/

mholgate

Post by mholgate » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:04 pm

CharlesLam wrote:just tried it and the executable just removed itself and it gave an error stating it needed escalation in privileges. almost like a virus :-/
Are you talking about the Netflixremotecontroller.exe file?
Assuming you downloaded it from the official link: http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/ I can assure you it is not a virus. Also it does not need escalated privileges, and most certainly should not remove itself.
I'm assuming that the 'error' message you saw was actually a 'downloaded from Internet' warning dialog that Windows displays for any executable file that has been downloaded from the Internet.

Ylinen

Post by Ylinen » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Anyone figure out how to make the remote work in Netflix for forward, stop, rewind, pause etc in Windows 7?

moolelo

Post by moolelo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:34 am

Ylinen wrote:Anyone figure out how to make the remote work in Netflix for forward, stop, rewind, pause etc in Windows 7?
Good question has this been approached yet? Seems like the simplest shortest route to getting a working Netflix app in WMC, I have tried the NetflixMCE and using Netflix remote control plugin for windows 8 app. None have really met the standard of usage the original has. Simple remote function should be just adding back that layer to the stream (similar to web browser plugins for remote). It is odd that even the play/pause doesn't work though.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:22 pm

Edited. In summary all you have to replace is the markup.dll files, and you can do that via drag and drop. I added this to wmc 10 and it seems to be working so far.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:29 pm

I just realized that I never hosted the files to fix the netflix plugin so here they are https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eetCq ... pLCJsGqjqp

I'll probably just start a new thread with better instructions, and links for these files and the search fix.