Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
glorp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by glorp » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:06 am

No indication of any error on either of 2 WMCs here. Both had the same issue with the previous days' update. I just noted the trouble but let them go until the next automatic update. Nothing seems unusual except that I have a whole bunch of EpgListing directories now. Worth keeping on eye on. I wonder if the "error" is the fact that there is likely an unusual time event in every MXF file we'll get from now until a week from this Sunday? There would have to be a repeated 2am Nov 1 show for every channel.

zoobio

Post by zoobio » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:00 pm

The update(s) mentioned by Jon Fincher on 10-15 worked for me. I have tried everything mentioned on the forum and nothing worked. Thank you Microsoft for not giving up!

Space

Post by Space » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:19 pm

glorp wrote:No indication of any error on either of 2 WMCs here. Both had the same issue with the previous days' update. I just noted the trouble but let them go until the next automatic update. Nothing seems unusual except that I have a whole bunch of EpgListing directories now. Worth keeping on eye on. I wonder if the "error" is the fact that there is likely an unusual time event in every MXF file we'll get from now until a week from this Sunday? There would have to be a repeated 2am Nov 1 show for every channel.
Maybe; if you look in the guide on 11/1 there are two 1am slots, but for almost all the channels the second 1am slot says "To be announced" (or something similar). So it looks like they may be having some trouble with that extra hour.

uberrob

Post by uberrob » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi Everyone -

I have a weird variation on this problem that I've never seen listed. I live in San Francisco, and I don't believe I was affected by the EPG cutover. My guide shows are all completely listed, and the metadata in each of the guide panels is completely filled in. Furthermore, ongoing shows are being recorded as usual.

HOWEVER....

for the past month or so I've noticed that I cannot search the guide. Whatever show I attempt to locate for recording gives me the result:

"search results may be incomplete because the Guide listings are still being indexed"

However, if I go to the Guide matrix, I can scroll around to the date/time/channel, find the show and select it - and, voila, it records just fine.

Is this issue related? (I suspect that it is) and if so, how do I correct it? (Yes, I've initiated a re-indexing)

See the links to see what I see.

Searching for "The Six Million Dollar Man": https://flic.kr/p/zZrMR1
Seeing "The Six Million Dollar Man" in the Guide: https://flic.kr/p/zZrMRS

What gives?

Space

Post by Space » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:22 am

I was going to suggest rebuilding the index, but apparently you have already done that.

Does your normal windows search work for finding normal files?

You can check to make sure (using "Indexing options" in control panel) that "Windows Media Center" is one of the things set to be indexed (under "Index these locations"). If you don't have "Windows Media Center" listed there, then I don't think it will index the WMC guide.

If you leave this window open, it will tell you if it is currently indexing or "Indexing complete" if it is done. If it is still indexing and you don't see the number of items indexed incrementing, then there is something wrong with the indexing (perhaps it is getting stuck on a corrupted file?). Note that it can take a while to index everything, so you may just have to wait for it to complete. You should leave you system idle for the indexing to go at it's fastest speed.

You can also "delete and rebuild index" (if you haven't done this) from the screen shown when you press the "Advanced" button.

Other than that, I am not sure (and I am no expert). If your indexing isn't working at all (can't search even outside of WMC), then I would just look for other solutions on the web that deal with fixing that.

uberrob

Post by uberrob » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:28 am

Hi Space - thanks for the reply.

Yeah - went thru the entire index dance - no joy. (And yes, I could see the files in explorer.)

What I did do, that seemed to work, was apply recent Windows 7 updates -- apparently something in the October bundle fixed the problem. I was just logging in to let everyone know. Not sure which specific update patch did it, I just did all of the ones from Sept and Oct.

donniew

Post by donniew » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:26 pm

I've waited and hoped. I've had all I can take. Years of WMC and happiness. I'm done. I guess the day had to come. I never expected it to be over a crappy guide change though. X1 system evaluation begins tomorrow.

bmcpeak

Post by bmcpeak » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:56 pm

zoobio wrote:The update(s) mentioned by Jon Fincher on 10-15 worked for me. I have tried everything mentioned on the forum and nothing worked. Thank you Microsoft for not giving up!
Zoobio, What update are you referring to?
Thanks.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:57 am

He's talking about this

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =96&t=9369
bmcpeak wrote:
zoobio wrote:The update(s) mentioned by Jon Fincher on 10-15 worked for me. I have tried everything mentioned on the forum and nothing worked. Thank you Microsoft for not giving up!
Zoobio, What update are you referring to?
Thanks.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Well, I'm back due to having to reinstall Win 7 on another machine and sure enuf, I ran into the guide problem again.

Having been through all this before, I remain convinced that all the solutions are pretty useless since the problem boils down to the server not responding to the request.

So this time I took a different approach.

I went through the initial set up, got the error, but finished the setup to set up my tuner and everything else.

Then I went back to reset up the TV signal, but this time I just kept trying and then canceling as soon as I got the error. In fact, I noticed that if the progress bar jumps ahead about half way and then sticks there, the process will fail, so as soon as that happened I hit cancel and started again. This greatly speeds up the cycle.

Long story short, after about 10 times through it worked.

I think this validates that the issue is simply that the servers are busy and there's nothing one can do except retry. All the fixes are just a waste of time.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:12 pm

One of my non-OS hard disks failed, and my WMC machine wouldn't boot. I ended up doing a restore of the OS disk from one week ago (turns out didn't need to). Now my guide is stuck at Nov 13 and when I manually check for updates it literally takes 15 seconds and comes back saying successful, but still stuck at Nov 13. I have already re-run Tv Setup, got no errors and seemed to take normal amount of time, guide still stuck at same end date.

Do I need to do the Object Recovery thing? Which instructions (post) is the correct procedure?

EDIT:
Went forward with ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, rebooted and now guide is back to normal end date, goes through 11/21.

mhajii210

Post by mhajii210 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:38 pm

TheReaper wrote:
timidhermit wrote:Thanks, STC. I did not know this. :)

If such is the case, how do I get rid of this pesky "update" request that is still causing the error message? Is it because I am still on Vista Media Center and that I am using the legacy version. It is annoying because it keeps generating text log almost hourly.
If you are getting: Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)
Then you might want to pile on Microsoft Connect Media Center Feedback: https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/1592971
Guys I'm getting this Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.) error daily using WMC on Windows 7. Is there any way to prevent WMC Update from giving this error? I understand it can be ignored since I am getting the guide update, but it's annoying to get this error daily.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:59 pm

mhajii210 wrote:Guys I'm getting this Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.) error daily using WMC on Windows 7. Is there any way to prevent WMC Update from giving this error? I understand it can be ignored since I am getting the guide update, but it's annoying to get this error daily.
It's because Microsoft discontinued Internet TV in 2012: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 587#p93587. You could always use other PVR software.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:32 pm

Vistaar wrote:
mhajii210 wrote:Guys I'm getting this Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.) error daily using WMC on Windows 7. Is there any way to prevent WMC Update from giving this error? I understand it can be ignored since I am getting the guide update, but it's annoying to get this error daily.
It's because Microsoft discontinued Internet TV in 2012: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 587#p93587. You could always use other PVR software.
I am sure Microsoft could fix this error by just having the server tell WMC that the package does not exist anymore, or by creating an empty nettv package so that it exists but does nothing. But these are both server-side fixes, and there is nothing (that I know of) that you can do on the WMC side to prevent these error messages from continuing to occur.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:04 am

Do you get the error on screen through WMC?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mhajii210

Post by mhajii210 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:46 am

STC wrote:Do you get the error on screen through WMC?
No errors from within WMC. It shows up on the WMC Update notification icon in the system tray. Also I am able to view the Windows Media Center error in Event Viewer. I would gladly use another software, but unfortunately I don't know of any other program that I am able to use to record copy once digital programming. I have Time Warner Cable and I am using a Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB tuner with a CableCARD setup. I guess I will just have to tolerate this error for the time being.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:09 pm

I would just forget about it if it's not affecting daily use.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

bmcpeak

Post by bmcpeak » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:02 pm

Augustus wrote:Well, I'm back due to having to reinstall Win 7 on another machine and sure enuf, I ran into the guide problem again.

Having been through all this before, I remain convinced that all the solutions are pretty useless since the problem boils down to the server not responding to the request.

So this time I took a different approach.

I went through the initial set up, got the error, but finished the setup to set up my tuner and everything else.

Then I went back to reset up the TV signal, but this time I just kept trying and then canceling as soon as I got the error. In fact, I noticed that if the progress bar jumps ahead about half way and then sticks there, the process will fail, so as soon as that happened I hit cancel and started again. This greatly speeds up the cycle.

Long story short, after about 10 times through it worked.

I think this validates that the issue is simply that the servers are busy and there's nothing one can do except retry. All the fixes are just a waste of time.
I have been able to get MC to do this several times, but I still get absolutely no guide data. I have used several local zip codes that show to have OTA guide data available. Recently I noticed that my actual zip is now showing OTA data on Microsoft's guide site, but still nothing when I use it in the setup. I have tried almost all of the ideals from here with no luck. Does anyone have any new ideals?
Thanks,

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:56 pm

bmcpeak wrote: I have been able to get MC to do this several times, but I still get absolutely no guide data. I have used several local zip codes that show to have OTA guide data available. Recently I noticed that my actual zip is now showing OTA data on Microsoft's guide site, but still nothing when I use it in the setup. I have tried almost all of the ideals from here with no luck. Does anyone have any new ideals?
Thanks,
There are a few other steps that are not necessary for most people, but, maybe in your case......as was mine...

1-Run Seans WMC backup and save what you can.

2-Uninstall tuner from Device Manager and Programs

3-Reset WMC to a new "out of the box" condition.

a. Please close WMC and open Task Scheduler (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Task Scheduler
b. Expand Task Scheduler Library, the Microsoft, and click on Media Center
c. Right click on MediaCenterRecoveryTask and choose Run. You will not get any indication of anything happening.
d. Open WMC. It will tell you that a serious error occurred, and take you to the initial setup screen
e. Go through the TV setup wizard to set up your tuners, channel lineup, etc.

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:43 am

I tried for three months to get WMC guide to download. All I got was No data available in the guide and in the Error log it stated "Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid)
No matter how many times I try all the steps, listed on the community page, I still get this same error and no data in the guide.

I started over about 20 times, using different zip codes with no luck.

I finally found a work around and it is now working.

I had to edit the listing for each of the 68 channels we get and browse the listing and scroll through the channel list until I could pick the right from the list (and click save in order to get programs to show up on the guide. For instance, for MSNBC, I had to go to Edit Listing and then scroll through until I go to MSNBC and go to Save. Suddenly the program listing for MSNBC showed up on the guide. I had to do this same process for each channel, which took me 2 hours to get it all straight.

The names seem to be a bit different on the Rovi guide, which causes the new guide not to show up. I hope this can be fixed so I don't have to do this again.

Before, this I tried the DNS flush, reinstalling, restarting, deleting the ehome files, etc. Nothing worked but this.