WMC "losing" channels

thumperyz69

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC "losing" channels

Post by thumperyz69 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:32 pm

I am lucky enough to get 15 channels in clear QAM. I am using a SiliconDust Prime 3 to bring the channels to WMC. My setup has been pretty good for about 4 years. All of a sudden the channels have been dropping off of WMC. (It happened Sunday afternoon) They are not listed in the guide but if I switch to my built-in tuner off my TV the clear QAM channels are still transmitting at the same numbers. Any ideas why they would drop off WMC???

Thanks for any ideas

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:09 am

I seem to be having a similar problem as of this morning. I cannot tune most of the major network affiliate local channels using WMC, but when I just tune them with the TV or with the HD HomeRun View app they work fine. This applies to the HD Home Run tuner with Clear QAM from cable as well as the HD Home Run Prime with a cable card and to a Ceton internal card with cable card. The signal seems fine. I also thank you for any ideas.

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:13 pm

The issue in my case seems to be with the clear QAM. I'm wondering if my friends at Verizon have encrypted the channels over the cable. If so, I will have to look into antennas. The cable channels work fine.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:07 pm

mskenny wrote:The issue in my case seems to be with the clear QAM. I'm wondering if my friends at Verizon have encrypted the channels over the cable. If so, I will have to look into antennas. The cable channels work fine.
While WMC only adds 25 of them to the guide by default (it can only tell what they are if there is proper inband metadata with a callsign that matches the guide callsign, so many get left out), I am getting 205 ClearQAM channels from Verizon FIOS currently. Granted, a lot of these are useless (64 of them are for ad targeting, ~30 are local origination/public access). But Cinemax has been unencrypted awhile...

If you go to "Edit Channels" in your guide settings you'll notice the lock icons are missing on many of the QAM channels. This means they were unencrypted on the last scan, and you can enable them and add a proper listing.

I should put an updated version of the InfiniTVToQAMChannelMapper to identify the unencrypted channels by the encrypted flag in the QAM scanned lineup instead of being shared with your OTA lineup. The mismatch between Rovi Cable Guide callsigns and Zap2It OTA callsigns is confusing the current one.

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:27 am

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had this working by re-doing the setup. I was getting all the channels but now some of the network affiliates are missing again. When I look at the edit sources menu the channel number for the clear QAM channel is different than what it shows me in HD HomeRun setup. When I click the link in HD HomeRun setup, the channel opens properly in Windows Media Player. The channels now don't come up at all from the cable card sources though the channel seems correct.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:20 am

If you are with Verizon, they started moving clearQAM channels around right before they took out ClearQAM feed in my area

Moving them around must have been some process to get them encrypted.

thumperyz69

Post by thumperyz69 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Nope... Not on V here. I have a small mom and pop cable provider.