Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Snowdog

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Snowdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:11 pm

BucK wrote:Is the "Ground Hog Cycle" just a Canadian guide issue? s anyone in the US having this issue: you can get the guide when you run setup but after that it never updates and eventually expires?
For me it was entirely related to Peter Nears "Enable ATSC" script. Which no one in the USA would need to run.

I finally have everything working for my Canadian OTA setup.

I detailed it on another forum:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-home ... ost2611290

bmcpeak

Post by bmcpeak » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:10 pm

[
Start Here --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Notepad as Administrator & edit the hosts file found @ \Windows\system32\drivers\etc. "All Files"
copy the below 2 lines and paste them in this file below the entries that exist in it.

65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

Closed WMC
Open task scheduler. Run both MediaCenterRecoverTask and the ObjectStoreRecoverTask.
Uninstalled WMC from programs and features.
Reboot.
Open Windows Explorer and C:\ProgramData\microsoft\ehome
Delete all mcepg3-x folders and files.
Opened regedit32 and drill down to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Epg]
Deleted all the keys underneath "the default key probably won't delete" don't worry, that's normal.
Do the same for
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\ProgramGuide]

Now reinstall WMC from program and feature and reboot.
It will probably give a "Serious error message when you start it" That is a good thing... probably... :thumbup:
Open WMC and run the setup. It should now download the listing for you with out error.

Let me know if this fixes it for you.

TRAVBRO[/quote]

Well I tried it but it did not work for me. I then did what The Mac Post#1780 Suggested and backed up one step and just keep running tuner setup until it went through the setup. Only it was not necessary to do the Ipconfig/flushdns. ( i have done it both ways) This is the only procedure that has let me get past the TV data download failure. But still no guide. :crazy: I went to schedule updates and tried updating the guide many times, but that did not work.
It still does not have the line "about guide" in the Guide section, so I guess it has not switched to Rovi?

I am surviving by recording OTA with NextPVR and it is working fairly well, but for some reason the Fast Forward does not work very well. Have it set to intercept commands from my MC remote?

BucK

Post by BucK » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Snowdog wrote:
BucK wrote:Is the "Ground Hog Cycle" just a Canadian guide issue? s anyone in the US having this issue: you can get the guide when you run setup but after that it never updates and eventually expires?
For me it was entirely related to Peter Nears "Enable ATSC" script. Which no one in the USA would need to run.

Excellent snowdog - I will give your method a try and report back in this forum

Bard

Post by Bard » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:49 pm

got my win 8.1 box going last night. my win 7 media center has been working for a week or so now. There was a windows update that prompted me to reboot my win 8.1 machine (while I was in media center trying in vain to get the TV settings to download) and after the reboot/update install, I tried the tv setup again and it worked perfectly the first time. Now all that I have left is trying to get it going on my win10 box. I have kodi/nextpvr set up on the win10 box, but it just isn't the same. If I can get media center to work on it the wife and kids will be much happier.

Localemperor

Post by Localemperor » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:42 pm

So I've been trying at this for over a month and still no luck. When it tries to download the TV setup, it fails every time. It worked for about 5 years and then nothing.
I have Windows 64-bit with very little else on the PC as it was meant as a simple HTPC. It is wired to an ethernet jack, and the internet connection seems stable and doesn't have problems getting to websites and downloads. I have installed Kodi and NextPVR in an attempt to find an alternative to WMC, but don't like them as much. I also have hundreds of recorded TV shows in the WMC file format that I don't think other programs can read.

As for what I have tried, in short; Everything! I've modified more hosts than parasitic aliens in the sci-fi horror flicks. I've flushed more DNS's than plumbing fixtures. I've run so many tasks I'm thinking I deserve a marathon sticker on the back of my car for all the running I've done. I've run through so many setups I'm thinking about suing Microsoft for entrapment. I've done more zip codes than Debbie. In short, I've tried a lot, and I won't go into details about what I've tried with a few exceptions.

I tried to uninstall WMC and it actually didn't work. I went into Windows Features, unchecked the box, clicked OK, and rebooted. Then, as it said it was configuring Windows, it said it had failed and was reverting back.
I manually installed PlayReady, a program I had never heard of but some said WMC requires it. While I could manually install it, WMC wants to update it (funny how the download straight from MS's website wasn't up-to-date...). Anyways, that always fails.

I have another computer with Windows 7 64-bit, so I wanted to see if anything could be excluded as the culprit from my HTPC. I moved one of my tuners to my laptop, plugged in a portable antenna, and WMC started up, got the startup info with my real zip code, downloaded the guide, found every channel like a champ. I then tried to hook it up my my main antenna and no issues there. So I think I eliminated the tuners, modem/router, antenna, zip code and such from being the issue.

When I used the new computer and got the information, it occurred to me I could try to copy it over to the old computer. Not a perfect solution, but one that I could do on the weekends. So I tried to find the registry value that identifies the path for the EPG data. Although I found a couple websites that give a registry key name, it didn't exist in my registry. So I decided to take the full route and copied the entire eHome folder (which does seem to have the EPG data under the Packages folder), and the entire Media Center registry folder, and exported to a USB drive. I then copied the folder over to my old computer, installed the registry info, and hoped it would be done. Only... nothing. The files are there. There were a couple folders that couldn't be overwritten, but not a lot. I then tried to delete the eHome folder and copy the new one in, but it had no effect.

Running in Safe Mode with Networking gave me an odd result. When I started WMC and tried to setup the TV Signal that way, it said that "Windows Media Center has encountered a serious issue. Try restarting Windows Media Center or Windows"

What it seems like is that the program and data don't want to be changed. Perhaps I'm anthropomorphising the program, but I can't seem to change it. Even with new data. I can't uninstall it, I can't install PlayReady updates, it ignores new data from another computer ever when I overwrite the files. I am an administrator on the computer.

Thoughts?

PS. I've also tried;
Started a new user profile
Disabling all firewalls, and adding the program to the firewall list
Running everything as Administrator and tasks with "Highest Privileges"

I've not tried;
Formatting the computer. I don't have a Windows 7 install disc.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Localemperor wrote:So I've been trying at this for over a month and still no luck. When it tries to download the TV setup, it fails every time. It worked for about 5 years and then nothing.
I have Windows 64-bit with very little else on the PC as it was meant as a simple HTPC. It is wired to an ethernet jack, and the internet connection seems stable and doesn't have problems getting to websites and downloads. I have installed Kodi and NextPVR in an attempt to find an alternative to WMC, but don't like them as much. I also have hundreds of recorded TV shows in the WMC file format that I don't think other programs can read.

As for what I have tried, in short; Everything! I've modified more hosts than parasitic aliens in the sci-fi horror flicks. I've flushed more DNS's than plumbing fixtures. I've run so many tasks I'm thinking I deserve a marathon sticker on the back of my car for all the running I've done. I've run through so many setups I'm thinking about suing Microsoft for entrapment. I've done more zip codes than Debbie. In short, I've tried a lot, and I won't go into details about what I've tried with a few exceptions.

I tried to uninstall WMC and it actually didn't work. I went into Windows Features, unchecked the box, clicked OK, and rebooted. Then, as it said it was configuring Windows, it said it had failed and was reverting back.
I manually installed PlayReady, a program I had never heard of but some said WMC requires it. While I could manually install it, WMC wants to update it (funny how the download straight from MS's website wasn't up-to-date...). Anyways, that always fails.

I have another computer with Windows 7 64-bit, so I wanted to see if anything could be excluded as the culprit from my HTPC. I moved one of my tuners to my laptop, plugged in a portable antenna, and WMC started up, got the startup info with my real zip code, downloaded the guide, found every channel like a champ. I then tried to hook it up my my main antenna and no issues there. So I think I eliminated the tuners, modem/router, antenna, zip code and such from being the issue.

When I used the new computer and got the information, it occurred to me I could try to copy it over to the old computer. Not a perfect solution, but one that I could do on the weekends. So I tried to find the registry value that identifies the path for the EPG data. Although I found a couple websites that give a registry key name, it didn't exist in my registry. So I decided to take the full route and copied the entire eHome folder (which does seem to have the EPG data under the Packages folder), and the entire Media Center registry folder, and exported to a USB drive. I then copied the folder over to my old computer, installed the registry info, and hoped it would be done. Only... nothing. The files are there. There were a couple folders that couldn't be overwritten, but not a lot. I then tried to delete the eHome folder and copy the new one in, but it had no effect.

Running in Safe Mode with Networking gave me an odd result. When I started WMC and tried to setup the TV Signal that way, it said that "Windows Media Center has encountered a serious issue. Try restarting Windows Media Center or Windows"

What it seems like is that the program and data don't want to be changed. Perhaps I'm anthropomorphising the program, but I can't seem to change it. Even with new data. I can't uninstall it, I can't install PlayReady updates, it ignores new data from another computer ever when I overwrite the files. I am an administrator on the computer.

Thoughts?

PS. I've also tried;
Started a new user profile
Disabling all firewalls, and adding the program to the firewall list
Running everything as Administrator and tasks with "Highest Privileges"

I've not tried;
Formatting the computer. I don't have a Windows 7 install disc.

Ur old PC needs a clean OS installed. (That is, if, i read correctly and u can get WMC working np on a new PC.)

Note: "Windows Easy Transfer" can be used to backup existing settings. But stick to that as a future option for when things if ever work flawlessly.

So that leaves or the problem is/ remains with the Old PC:

"Win7 No OS Install Disk".

1st good looking search result (and i think flat out legal unless someone else says no), that i see, is:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/h ... -disc.html

A backed-up and restored "PlayReady" folder does absolutely work on a "Restored Backup Image", but most likely not after a clean OS install. But try it anyways and report back.

GL

PS
Make full backups (Imaging technology) each step of the way. Meaning, 1. after a completed clean install, Image C drive. 2. just before Tweaking anything radically, Image C drive. 3. Especially after all is fixed and working fine, Image C drive. (Incremental Imaging results in Backups that are only about 1/50+ smaller and also much faster to make. Example: a 250 MB Incremental Backup Image is small compared to a 25+ GB Full Backup Image. And is only 25 seconds versus 15+ minuets. :) )

PSS
For backing up a Full Image of and Entire PC, Win7 includes, "Backup and Restore" and i believe that a Drive with Recordings could be unplugged because with it plugged-in it would be included and that would make the Backup too big. For customized Backup Imaging, use Acronis, or equivalent software such as a ported Linux Backup Imaging software... which is always a good strategy. (Also, Western Digital And Seagate come with an OEM version of Acronis Backup Imaging; but it only works for their brands of Hard Drive and even so, it's not very customization. But getting families, by using OEM versions of Acronis, is a good strategy/ start.)

Localemperor

Post by Localemperor » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I had attempted to do reinstall Windows, but ran into an issue. I had seen that video before, and the problem is MS doesn't allow Digital River to distribute their ISO's anymore. So I did some searching and found they are available directly through MS's website. Just punch in your product key and you can download it. Problem is, when I punch in the product key (actually, I believe it wants the CD Key), it chugs for a couple seconds, and then says it encountered an error.
What may be the issue is I bought this computer from Dell, and perhaps them have a volume OEM version that MS doesn't allow people to download.
I also checked to see if I could do a Restore Point, but they only go back a week.
I'm not so sure the difference is that it's just an old computer. It was working perfectly until the switch from Zap2It to Rovi. It then stopped downloading the EPG. When I followed some of the steps in this thread to fix the issue, like deleting the contents of the eHome folder, then I lost my TV setup data and can't get that back either.
To add insult to injury, I tried the manual way of Schedules Direct->XML file-> MXF file imported into WMC. The file is there under the Packages folder, but no data in the guide when I start WMC.
I may call the Microsoft Store nearby and see if they'll install Win7 for me.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:36 pm

Localemperor wrote:Thanks for the reply. I had attempted to do reinstall Windows, but ran into an issue. I had seen that video before, and the problem is MS doesn't allow Digital River to distribute their ISO's anymore. So I did some searching and found they are available directly through MS's website. Just punch in your product key and you can download it. Problem is, when I punch in the product key (actually, I believe it wants the CD Key), it chugs for a couple seconds, and then says it encountered an error.
What may be the issue is I bought this computer from Dell, and perhaps them have a volume OEM version that MS doesn't allow people to download.
I also checked to see if I could do a Restore Point, but they only go back a week.
I'm not so sure the difference is that it's just an old computer. It was working perfectly until the switch from Zap2It to Rovi. It then stopped downloading the EPG. When I followed some of the steps in this thread to fix the issue, like deleting the contents of the eHome folder, then I lost my TV setup data and can't get that back either.
To add insult to injury, I tried the manual way of Schedules Direct->XML file-> MXF file imported into WMC. The file is there under the Packages folder, but no data in the guide when I start WMC.
I may call the Microsoft Store nearby and see if they'll install Win7 for me.
np.

i bought a refurbished Dell recently and wat i've seen at the Dell forums seems to have a lot of inquiries about ur type of situation.

Have u tried the Dell Forums?

Edit 1:

Try all these URLs:

http://pilot.search.dell.com/Restore%20Partition

( ^^Because the Partition is totally hidden and hopefully still there. (i bought two refurbished Dells and it was a beach to get rid of their hidden recovery partitions so i bet u still have them.)

ogfooman

Post by ogfooman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:54 am

I've read quite a bit about the EPG switchover from Zap2it to Rovi. My WMC installation still states that it is using Zap2it, and of course the EPG updates don't work (they download successfully, but when EPG is opened it just says "no data"). I have no idea how to either get a WMC update or make it start using Rovi so I can imput a working compatible zip code to get the EPG working.
My windows automatic updates are on.
Thanks

[Moderator note: topic merged]

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:16 pm

ogfooman wrote:My WMC installation still states that it is using Zap2it, and of course the EPG updates don't work (they download successfully, but when EPG is opened it just says "no data").
What version of Windows are you running? (My wild guess would be either XP MCE or Vista without TV Pack.)

ogfooman

Post by ogfooman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:50 pm

Nope, Win7 64 bit, WMC version 6.1.7601.17514

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Well that's a good thing, because Rovi data should actually exist for Win7. In WMC Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup, have you tried Run Setup Again?

Localemperor

Post by Localemperor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:np.

i bought a refurbished Dell recently and wat i've seen at the Dell forums seems to have a lot of inquiries about ur type of situation.

Have u tried the Dell Forums?

Edit 1:

Try all these URLs:

http://pilot.search.dell.com/Restore%20Partition

( ^^Because the Partition is totally hidden and hopefully still there. (i bought two refurbished Dells and it was a beach to get rid of their hidden recovery partitions so i bet u still have them.)
Thanks for the idea. I did find the image on a partition and was able to restore back to the original factory install.
I then only installed the drivers for my tuners, started WMC, and went through the setup process. Same error as before. It cannot download the TV Setup Data. I installed all of the critical updates, edited the Hosts file, and still nothing.
Luckily I've done this so many times I was able to quickly to get back to at least being able to read my library and can watch my previously recorded programs. I'll have to reinstall NextPVR and Kodi, but that's not too much of an issue.
I did go on to the Dell forums. I didn't see much in the ways of people complaining about the same problem with WMC. I did see a number of people ask about the media for their OS.
I may look at getting a new PC. I wish I could be certain that would solve the issue.

SushiLover

Post by SushiLover » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:40 pm

Localemperor wrote: Thanks for the idea. I did find the image on a partition and was able to restore back to the original factory install.
I then only installed the drivers for my tuners, started WMC, and went through the setup process. Same error as before. It cannot download the TV Setup Data. I installed all of the critical updates, edited the Hosts file, and still nothing.
Luckily I've done this so many times I was able to quickly to get back to at least being able to read my library and can watch my previously recorded programs. I'll have to reinstall NextPVR and Kodi, but that's not too much of an issue.
I did go on to the Dell forums. I didn't see much in the ways of people complaining about the same problem with WMC. I did see a number of people ask about the media for their OS.
I may look at getting a new PC. I wish I could be certain that would solve the issue.

Are you getting an error message when you try to download the TV data or is it that it just won't try at all?

ogfooman

Post by ogfooman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Well that's a good thing, because Rovi data should actually exist for Win7. In WMC Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup, have you tried Run Setup Again?
I did, and during the setup after the screen that says "downloading TV setup data" that appears after I enter my zip code brings up an error dialog after a few seconds stating "The new TV setup data could not be downloaded. The existing data, if available, will be used as you continue through TV signal setup". And of course the existing data doesn't work.

So it's not reaching the new setup data for my region. Ive tried both my zip code and the zip code thats closest to me that is listing as working.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:37 pm

ogfooman wrote:The new TV setup data could not be downloaded
Yes that's very typical. I overcame several download failures in late July without taking any special actions at all. On August 28, a Microsoft representative recommended running ipconfig /flushdns from an elevated command prompt (in addition to trying different zip codes): http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =96&t=9179. I did not modify my Hosts file, and Microsoft has not recommended that you modify your Hosts file; but this 91-page thread contains a large number of posts suggesting that Hosts file modifications are essential for acquiring WMC guide data these days.

SushiLover

Post by SushiLover » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:50 am

Vistaar wrote:
ogfooman wrote:The new TV setup data could not be downloaded
Yes that's very typical. I overcame several download failures in late July without taking any special actions at all. On August 28, a Microsoft representative recommended running ipconfig /flushdns from an elevated command prompt (in addition to trying different zip codes): http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =96&t=9179. I did not modify my Hosts file, and Microsoft has not recommended that you modify your Hosts file; but this 91-page thread contains a large number of posts suggesting that Hosts file modifications are essential for acquiring WMC guide data these days.
I had the same issue after installing WMC on my W10 machine, modified the host file, run ipconfig release and renew then flushed the DNS. However I was finally able to get the Guide to download during set up by flushing the DNS then rebooting both the PC and modem (this was after probably 15 attempts at installing WMC and never getting the guide to work).

BucK

Post by BucK » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:41 am

BucK wrote:
Snowdog wrote:

Excellent snowdog - I will give your method a try and report back in this forum
Snowdog's solution above for "groundhog day" issue works!!! Guide is now updating. Thanks Snowdog.

thumperyz69

Post by thumperyz69 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:07 pm

I am getting real good at blowing WMC away and reloading. ;-) I think I am up to number 5. Thanks to all that have contributed!!!

One question. Since the areas are much smaller these days for zip codes how do I add the guide information for out of area stations??? I don’t see a way to scan in WMC for additional zip codes???

Localemperor

Post by Localemperor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:24 pm

SushiLover wrote:Are you getting an error message when you try to download the TV data or is it that it just won't try at all?
It says that it can't download the TV setup data. Where it should let me pick Chicago OTA, it just says it can't download it. I've tried a pure Hosts file, as well as the various IP addresses others have posted. I've tried other zip codes, including those that people have said worked, and even some far away from me to see if I can download anything. No luck.