Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

Mpgrimm2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:08 am

FYI, I just downloaded and ran the Restore Netflix installer and can confirm that it does indeed put Netflix back in Win7 Media Center.

Many thanks to all those involved and Marc for repackaging it so it's easy peasy.

Now, where is that Amazon Prime installer at?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:36 pm

Don't worry, Netflix go the way of the Amazon installer eventually.

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Mpgrimm2 wrote:Now, where is that Amazon Prime installer at?
His Amazon Prime addin can be found at http://sharepointsnapple.com/amazonmceaddin/
-Alan

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Update, Marc's Netflix Restorer package worked on my win 7 machine, but not the one at my wife's house (we are mid move for a job) via TeamViewer.
Some thing about the markup.dll being read only. Tried adjusting permissions, no go. Changed the extension to .old.
Still no Netflix.

Will update this post with a screen shot shortly.
NetflixRestorer Error.JPG
Not sure if these extra folders were causing issues or not.
NetflixRestorer Error 2.JPG
NetflixRestorer Error 2.JPG (14.28 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
KerrAvon wrote:Hi All, Marc Davis here - the AmazonMCEAddin Guy.

I've put together a fix that will restore the native Netflix app in Windows Media Center. I isolated the single file that was changed and built an installer to make replacing the file simple. You can get details on it from my blog: http://sharepointsnapple.com/2015/09/21 ... x-restore/

As we all know Netflix has only to turn off Silverlight support to end this for good. I am working on an remote-friendly alternative that uses the HTML5 Web version of Netflix in Media Center. I will be posting more details on my blog as development progresses. So far I have a test app that can launch the HTML5 Netflix app in full screen and am able to read keycodes from remote button inputs. Work continues.

Hope this app helps get everyone streaming again - at least for now.

Regards,

Marc
Mpgrimm2 wrote:FYI, I just downloaded and ran the Restore Netflix installer and can confirm that it does indeed put Netflix back in Win7 Media Center.

Many thanks to all those involved and Marc for repackaging it so it's easy peasy.

Now, where is that Amazon Prime installer at?
May have to try the manual method...
zenischosen wrote:From your PC with working Netflix, copy the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages folder to the one that had it removed, overwriting any files. If you were receiving the September 15 message you will continue to get it, but Netflix will work. If it's a clean install, or if you recover Media Center using Task Scheduler the message wont be there. If Netflix disappears again, just recopy that folder again. It also does not seem to be removed if you don't have Service Pack 1.
zenischosen wrote: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03Jg3 ... sp=sharing

Let me know if you have any problems. If you are getting the Sept. 15 message and you want to get rid of it you can open Task Scheduler and go to Microsoft>Windows>Media Center and run MediaCenterRecoveryTask and ObjectStoreRecoveryTask and wait for them to complete, this will restore WMC to default. It may take a long time to complete. Be warned you will lose all settings including your Recording Schedule, channel line-ups, etc.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:47 pm

PS to the MODs,
is there any reason why Marc may be locked out of his account "KerrAvon"?? (per post at his site)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:55 pm

Mpgrimm2 wrote:PS to the MODs,
is there any reason why Marc may be locked out of his account "KerrAvon"?? (per post at his site)
Nope, his account is active. Last visited: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:48 pm
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Bryan wrote:Noticed similar over here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 881#p96881
His sub3 account is active too. I will reach out to him via PM.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Scallica they were both put into the developer group recently. There may be a blip somewhere.

I cleared and re-added their perms, and can logon as both so it seems to be okay now. Sorry about that.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Back in - thanks guys!

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Mpgrimm2 - Those other numbered folders are backups to the best of my knowledge. The installer is setting the new dll readonly to hopefully prevent MCUpdate from overwriting it. Check the folder c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\UpdateableMarkup. The DLL should have a size of 2810KB if the fix was applied successfully. Also - be sure to exit Media Center BEFORE applying the update.

Also - check those numbered UpdateableMarkup folders for a dll dated on or after 9/15 - if so - then that is the active folder and I will need to modify my installer accordingly.
I'll be incorporating feedback into an update for the installer as needed.

Marc

blupupher

Post by blupupher » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:17 am

KerrAvon wrote:Hi All, Marc Davis here - the AmazonMCEAddin Guy.

I've put together a fix that will restore the native Netflix app in Windows Media Center. I isolated the single file that was changed and built an installer to make replacing the file simple. You can get details on it from my blog: http://sharepointsnapple.com/2015/09/21 ... x-restore/
Thank you so much Marc, I was about to just cancel my Netflix account because of this. This installer was super simple to make it work again.
Wife and kids are very happy. So we will see how long this lasts, hopefully you can get the HTML5 setup working.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:16 am

KerrAvon wrote:Mpgrimm2 - Those other numbered folders are backups to the best of my knowledge. The installer is setting the new dll readonly to hopefully prevent MCUpdate from overwriting it. Check the folder c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\UpdateableMarkup. The DLL should have a size of 2810KB if the fix was applied successfully. Also - be sure to exit Media Center BEFORE applying the update.

Also - check those numbered UpdateableMarkup folders for a dll dated on or after 9/15 - if so - then that is the active folder and I will need to modify my installer accordingly.
I'll be incorporating feedback into an update for the installer as needed.

Marc
My 2nd win7 machine was apparently using the Markup-2 folder as it's active folder (file date was 9/16 and about 1600kb). Copied over the replacement .dll file and Netflix came back. So depending on the machine, the .dll will depend on which folder is active. I would have thought it was Markup-3, oh well. I'm working now and the wife will be happy again. Thanks for the support!
NetflixRestorer Error 3 Markup-2 Folder.JPG

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Mpgrimm2 - ok I was starting to suspect that was the case. The 1.1 version of the Restore Utility addresses that issue. Thanks!

Marc

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:47 pm

I had to replace the entire Packages folder (with the one provided in an earlier post) to get Netflix back and working.
Thanks guys!

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:49 pm

I'm glad you guys are getting it working.

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:17 pm

ITGuy1024 wrote:I had to replace the entire Packages folder (with the one provided in an earlier post) to get Netflix back and working.
When I did that, got more than I bargained... the Sports strip was back.
-Alan

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:21 pm

The packages folder I posted is the whole Internet TV/Sports/Netflix add-on, so it should restore all of it even though the Internet TV add-on support was discontinued a while back.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:22 am

Not sure where my post went from earlier, but if it's inappropriate ( i m not sure how) please mods let me know...

For anyone interested that wants to give Microsoft a hard time about officially killing off our beloved Netflix and especially MediaCenter in Win10, here is some information I got from Netflix customer service a while back when I was having issues with Netflix in mediacenter (Took a while to find it).

Microsoft SilverLight Support Team: (5am-9pm PT) 866-234-6020
(MediaCenter Netflix Support)

STC

Post by STC » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:14 pm

^ it's in Windows 10 Media Center which is of course the wrong place. I'll kill that one.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123