Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

zenischosen

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by zenischosen » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:11 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
stuartm wrote:
zenischosen wrote:I still have Netflix on all my PCs I tried it on. I have the files if you need them.
Thanks, If you could make them available to me I would really appreciate it. I only set Netflix up recently and I haven't imaged my disk since then so I don't think I have the files.
I'd appreciate trying them out, too - thanks!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03Jg3 ... sp=sharing

Let me know if you have any problems. If you are getting the Sept. 15 message and you want to get rid of it you can open Task Scheduler and go to Microsoft>Windows>Media Center and run MediaCenterRecoveryTask and ObjectStoreRecoveryTask and wait for them to complete, this will restore WMC to default. It may take a long time to complete. Be warned you will lose all settings including your Recording Schedule, channel line-ups, etc.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:29 pm

I don't know if this will help anyone but here is the Installer.exe (original MS file) and Netflix Search fix if anyone wants it. http://1drv.ms/1KApZGs
For what its worth In Windows 8.1 with MC I used MCE Reset tool box and restored the Netflix Tile in WMC by clicking on Start Menu then clicking Fix MCE Menu's then Fix Netflix. http://www.acs-digital-media.com/

newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:31 pm

I didn't even think to include the search fix. Good thinking.

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:37 am

For those who are using relaunch what can I expect as far as remote control support? Full control like the current (RIP) plugin or limited to basic functions?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:33 am

elhuevon wrote:For those who are using relaunch what can I expect as far as remote control support? Full control like the current (RIP) plugin or limited to basic functions?
Using ReLaunch remote control support would be non-existent, you would need a remote with mouse capability like a Lenovo n5902 or one of the old Gyration WMC Remotes.
I'm using Windows 8.1 and installed the Netflix App. I use Controller Companion http://controllercompanion.com/ and the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows to navigate Modern apps like Netflix. Works really well.
it's not perfect but it's an option.
newfiend~

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:00 am

I'd appreciate trying them out, too - thanks

Let me know if you have any problems. If you are getting the Sept. 15 message and you want to get rid of it you can open Task Scheduler and go to Microsoft>Windows>Media Center and run MediaCenterRecoveryTask and ObjectStoreRecoveryTask and wait for them to complete, this will restore WMC to default. It may take a long time to complete. Be warned you will lose all settings including your Recording Schedule, channel line-ups, etc.!

Is there a chance there is just one or two files that get replaced during an update that make Netflix disappear? We could mark them read only or even setup a bat file to replace them as needed.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:09 am

My guess is it's only one or two files in that folder, but I didn't try individual files. I came up with this fix looking through WMC folders for the Internet TV/Netflix add-on files to try to find a way to fix it assuming MS was just removing Netflix from WMC, not that it was going to actually stop working. Not having SP1 installed if you are on Win 7 seems to prevent it from even happening. As far as I can tell once you put it back it's fixed permanently, but only time will tell.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:13 am

Also, it's not done through Windows Update as I have it disabled. I'm guessing it was time/date scheduled through MCUpdate.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:10 pm

A folder watcher tool may help here: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/3-portable- ... s-changes/
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks so much for posting the files. I also don't allow windows updates on my HTPC's as I consider them appliances and once they are working the way I want I leave them alone (and image the disk) Unfortunately, I only recently enabled Netflix since a couple of series I wanted to watch were only available there and hadn't got around to imaging with it enabled yet.
For anyone else wanting to restore Netflix. By comparing your files to my newly Netflix-disabled machine It looked like the only thing I might need was the MCEClientUX sub folder. Sure enough, just renaming that folder and copying in the one you provided restored Netflix to working status on my HTPCs so thanks again.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:15 pm

I'm glad I could help. When I saw I was able to fix it I knew I had to make an account and post to share. That is the folder I assumed, but I forgot to make note of the differences I saw.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:56 am

Thanks guys!

I got to this early today, and only replaced the MCEClientUX folder... Fired up WMC and Netflix was right back where it was before and worked like nothing had changed. There was no nag box about being discontinued, either. Let's see if it sticks!

:clap:

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Thank you!! Up and running again which makes a happy wife!! I have the nag box. Just replaced the one folder.

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi All, Marc Davis here - the AmazonMCEAddin Guy.

I've put together a fix that will restore the native Netflix app in Windows Media Center. I isolated the single file that was changed and built an installer to make replacing the file simple. You can get details on it from my blog: http://sharepointsnapple.com/2015/09/21 ... x-restore/

As we all know Netflix has only to turn off Silverlight support to end this for good. I am working on an remote-friendly alternative that uses the HTML5 Web version of Netflix in Media Center. I will be posting more details on my blog as development progresses. So far I have a test app that can launch the HTML5 Netflix app in full screen and am able to read keycodes from remote button inputs. Work continues.

Hope this app helps get everyone streaming again - at least for now.

Regards,

Marc

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:26 pm

KerrAvon wrote:Hi All, Marc Davis here - the AmazonMCEAddin Guy.

I've put together a fix that will restore the native Netflix app in Windows Media Center. I isolated the single file that was changed and built an installer to make replacing the file simple. You can get details on it from my blog: http://sharepointsnapple.com/2015/09/21 ... x-restore/

As we all know Netflix has only to turn off Silverlight support to end this for good. I am working on an remote-friendly alternative that uses the HTML5 Web version of Netflix in Media Center. I will be posting more details on my blog as development progresses. So far I have a test app that can launch the HTML5 Netflix app in full screen and am able to read keycodes from remote button inputs. Work continues.

Regards,

Marc
This is awesome.
Thank you for your efforts!

-Richard

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:06 am

Regards,

Marc

This is insanely cool and something I would have never expected! Thanks!

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:33 am

Nice! Thanks for continuing to support WMC!

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:29 am

Regards,

Marc
Good looking out, thanks for this! :D

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:25 am

Can the two of you start new threads for each of your work around so it's not buried. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Marc
zenischosen wrote:
Doctor Feelgood wrote:
stuartm wrote: Thanks, If you could make them available to me I would really appreciate it. I only set Netflix up recently and I haven't imaged my disk since then so I don't think I have the files.
I'd appreciate trying them out, too - thanks!

Let me know if you have any problems. If you are getting the Sept. 15 message and you want to get rid of it you can open Task Scheduler and go to Microsoft>Windows>Media Center and run MediaCenterRecoveryTask and ObjectStoreRecoveryTask and wait for them to complete, this will restore WMC to default. It may take a long time to complete. Be warned you will lose all settings including your Recording Schedule, channel line-ups, etc.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:36 am

Regards,

Marc

Sounds very cool. if it will work in win 7 WMC I am very interested. Please keep us (the TGB community) posted.

Thanks