Anyone find a remote friendly Netflix app?

audinutt

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone find a remote friendly Netflix app?

Post by audinutt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:43 pm

I am looking to replace the Windows Media Center Netflix app since it is 2 to quit working in about 2 weeks I would prefer something that works within Windows Windows Remote friendly or I will have to go with a separate hardware box that has optical output. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.

Thanks
Richard

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:45 pm

audinutt wrote:I am looking to replace the Windows Media Center Netflix app since it is 2 to quit working in about 2 weeks I would prefer something that works within Windows Windows Remote friendly or I will have to go with a separate hardware box that has optical output. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.

Thanks
Richard
As you can see from the tumble weeds rolling by there isn't a remote friendly Netflix client for Windows except for the Media Center one. Therefore I have rolled my one back to before the time bomb was introduced, and have firewalled it to prevent it updating again. I have my suspicions it will keep working for a while yet.
My plan B (which is set up and ready to go) is the Windows 8.1 Modern App with Controller Companion (xbox 360 wireless controller). Despite appearing to be an awful kludge in concept, it's actually not traumatic to use.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:59 pm

My Netflix app is still up and running. I have the icon relocated to my TV strip, maybe that's why(?).

Jathor9000

Post by Jathor9000 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:20 pm

mcewinter wrote:My Netflix app is still up and running. I have the icon relocated to my TV strip, maybe that's why(?).
Yeah, I have still been using the Netflix app built into WMC. My system is updated often, so not sure what problems others have experienced but mine has been fine.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:48 pm

It still does work fine, but you should be getting a message every time you launch it that it will no longer work come September 15th.

It is really unbelievable there is no other remote support for Netflix on a PC. I even tried using the Android TV Netflix APK running inside of the Bluestacks emulator. Unfortunately only the phone/tablet version will run at this time (no remote support) until Bluestacks is updated. It might be an option in the future. I am using a Roku for now.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:54 pm

Ah! Thought it was supposed to self destruct last month. I no longer use the app but would be interested in an alternative inside of MC interface. I'm running Windows 7, so not very likely.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:33 am

gbwelly wrote:
audinutt wrote:I am looking to replace the Windows Media Center Netflix app since it is 2 to quit working in about 2 weeks I would prefer something that works within Windows Windows Remote friendly or I will have to go with a separate hardware box that has optical output. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.

Thanks
Richard
As you can see from the tumble weeds rolling by there isn't a remote friendly Netflix client for Windows except for the Media Center one. Therefore I have rolled my one back to before the time bomb was introduced, and have firewalled it to prevent it updating again. I have my suspicions it will keep working for a while yet.
My plan B (which is set up and ready to go) is the Windows 8.1 Modern App with Controller Companion (xbox 360 wireless controller). Despite appearing to be an awful kludge in concept, it's actually not traumatic to use.
I am doing this as well.. Controller Companion and the Windows 8.1 App for Netflix and Hulu. It's not perfect but it works pretty well and at least both apps are updated which is more than I can say for anything related to WMC.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:33 pm

A option, not a great option mind you is PlayOn in combination with VMCplayit. If your looking for something self contained in WMC. Some of the other suggested methods however will get you better picture quality.

mholgate

Post by mholgate » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:57 pm

Thanks
Richard
Hi Richard,
You can use the standard Netflix app (from the Windows App Store) with my Remote tool.

It's in beta stage.
More details & download is here: http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/

I need feedback to take it forward - so far it's only been tested on two resolutions - 1360x768px and 1920x1080px - and with the standard Media Center Remote (Philips 5100).

mismjy1

Post by mismjy1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:25 pm

The best solution I have found is this remote on Amazon for only $20:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K76 ... detailpage

It is kind of like the old Gyration remote (no longer available) in that you can use it for navigating WMC menus, while it has a gyroscopic mouse plus a keyboard. Works great for navigating the Netflix Windows 8 app. I almost never reach for my Logitech keyboard anymore.