Entire Guide shows no data

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
columbia93

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by columbia93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Scallica wrote:
columbia93 wrote:I don't know much about how it works and some of the suggestions I've found call for all kinds of solutions for things I've no idea about.
Some of the solutions posted on this forum may be a bit technical, however, you should be comfortable trying the host file modification approach. After following the steps below, my guide switched to Rovi immediately.

1. On the desktop, right click anywhere, and create a new shortcut to cmd.exe and name it Command Prompt.
2. Right click on the shortcut and select Run as Administrator
3. At the prompt, type notepad c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
4. In Notepad, add the following lines to the bottom:

65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

5. Save the file. At the prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns
6. Re-run the TV guide setup in WMC
Thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me. However, it didn't work. I copied & pasted so I didn't misspell. I do wonder if I pasted it right. There were spaces & #'s above but I just literally pasted it right below the last information - where the cursor defaulted to...no # signs or spaces between the lines.

Again, Vista is different so I don't know if that's the issue.

columbia93

Post by columbia93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Miss8CH wrote:
Slugbait wrote:I left TGB after six or seven pages (about an hour) because most of those guys had cablecard tuners, and I googled again, and found that nuking from orbit was the solution. I now have my guide listings. Here's how:

1) Click Start
2) Type CMD
3) Right click on CMD->Run as Admin
4) Copy-n-paste the following in the command window: %systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask
5) Reboot and launch WMC

You'll be notified that WMC has suffered a catastrophic error (I forget the exact feedback dialog wording...editor's embellishment) and you need to run setup again (like the first use).

6) Select Express
7) Go to Tasks->Settings->TV->Set Up TV Signal
8) Run the setup wizard, select your area listing, etc

I got my guide again. And the About screen now says I have Rovi.
:clap: :clap: :clap: After a lengthy search and many attempts to get my guide back, including using different zip codes within a 250 mile radius (didn't work), THIS solution brought it back. In configuring my TV signal, I used my zip code but noticed the selections now included a selection between HD and SD from my cable provider (Time Warner). These were not previous selections. Not knowing the difference, I did a google search which showed SD was standard definition and selected SD. It was the longest (at least if felt like it) wait yet...and voila, my guide returned! :D Thanks so much Slugbait!
I have TWC and I've tried HD, SD, even different TWC listing in nearby cities, as well as cable companies I don't have! None of it works.

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:46 pm

I tried various combinations of things without success but I have a Windows 7 computer that never failed to get guide data so I decided to see what IPs it was using. I found that this machine resolved cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com to 23.14.84.178. Once I switched the host file on my non-working Windows 8 machine to this IP, it worked right away and I have guide data from Rovi.

columbia93

Post by columbia93 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:56 am

How do you check the IP? I have never had to change it...

pmb7272

Post by pmb7272 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:08 pm

You have to navigate to this location and add the IP lines mentioned to the file: c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

jazperkool

Post by jazperkool » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:59 am

FIXED...
It was good to find out from reading the previous posts that the guide listing provider was changed to Rovi. What worked for me was:
I ran Tasks - Settings - General - Windows Media Center Setup - Set Up TV Signal...I proceeded to enter all the information requested by the standard screens that follow Region, etc...I remember my tuner being detected and having to choose it, when prompted for the zip code I entered mine, the one that was listed was wrong, It proceeded to download but no downloading would occur, I had only one bar going forward but It stayed there, so I cancelled the download guide, and then continued to select Finish. I returned to the main screen and closed out/exited windows media center, shut the system down, waited a minute or so, and restarted. After everything loaded I restarted windows media center, and Then ran Tasks - Settings - Guide - Get Latest Guide Listings. Since I was running windows media center as a window, in the system tray, where the taskbar shows the time the icon, hovering over the icon displayed the progress of the downloading latest guide listing. After I was prompted that the guide downloaded I switch to live tv, and checked the guide from there, and the Guide had WORKED!!! Hope this helps someone. :D

columbia93

Post by columbia93 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:45 am

jazperkool wrote:FIXED...
It was good to find out from reading the previous posts that the guide listing provider was changed to Rovi. What worked for me was:
I ran Tasks - Settings - General - Windows Media Center Setup - Set Up TV Signal...I proceeded to enter all the information requested by the standard screens that follow Region, etc...I remember my tuner being detected and having to choose it, when prompted for the zip code I entered mine, the one that was listed was wrong, It proceeded to download but no downloading would occur, I had only one bar going forward but It stayed there, so I cancelled the download guide, and then continued to select Finish. I returned to the main screen and closed out/exited windows media center, shut the system down, waited a minute or so, and restarted. After everything loaded I restarted windows media center, and Then ran Tasks - Settings - Guide - Get Latest Guide Listings. Since I was running windows media center as a window, in the system tray, where the taskbar shows the time the icon, hovering over the icon displayed the progress of the downloading latest guide listing. After I was prompted that the guide downloaded I switch to live tv, and checked the guide from there, and the Guide had WORKED!!! Hope this helps someone. :D
It would be helpful if you would post what operating system you have.

columbia93

Post by columbia93 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:47 am

pmb7272 wrote:You have to navigate to this location and add the IP lines mentioned to the file: c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Okay, so you're not changing the IP, just adding to the file as has already been talked about on this thread. I, myself, have already posted that I did this and it didn't resolve the problem. Was hoping you weren't talking about something already covered.

columbia93

Post by columbia93 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:32 am

mskenny wrote:I tried various combinations of things without success but I have a Windows 7 computer that never failed to get guide data so I decided to see what IPs it was using. I found that this machine resolved cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com to 23.14.84.178. Once I switched the host file on my non-working Windows 8 machine to this IP, it worked right away and I have guide data from Rovi.
Oh my....I tried the IP you used in place of the one provided above and it seems to work!
After quite a bit of time, the guide is finally populated. Looks like everything is there and a few that I checked seem to parallel my TV guide.

jl031256

Post by jl031256 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:08 pm

Hello. After spending many hours trying all sorts of fixes, I finally found a solution that worked for a Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate OS. Here it is. I first uninstalled Windows Media Centre, using the info in this link: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reins ... windows-7/ After rebooting the computer, I renamed the "PlayReady" folder that is located in the "Program Files" folder to "PlayReady OLD" . You might or might not have this feature installed in Windows Media Centre, as it is optional when you first set up WMC. I think that this feature has something to do with rights permissions. Anyhow, I then reinstalled WMC, also using the instructions from the above link. I then rebooted my computer, opened up WMC and then reconfigured my TV signal. The app went through the process, but when it presented me with the TV provider options, the listing was now different and my provider was described slightly differently, it is like I finally accessed the ROVI database. The installation finished and voilà, I now had the guide! When I reinstalled WMC and configured my TV signal, I did not get the "PlayReady" optional install prompt and a new "PlayReady" folder was not created. Maybe all of this mess has something to do with the "PlayReady" feature. Anyway, this worked for me and I am now a happy camper. If anybody has success with this solution, please post your experience. Thanks.

[Moderator note: topic closed; continue discussion in existing EPG threads.]