Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
HDTV-WMC-fan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by HDTV-WMC-fan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:46 am

marvin-miller wrote:I had a years old MC install (Windows 7) and managed to even get it over to the new guide with little issue (other then the poor listings quality that Rovi is becoming well known for).

However, the other day the computer kaffed and I had to do an O/S re-install. I installed all the updates and....guess what....it refuses to download any guide info. A message pops up during setup saying that there were too many guide updated failures etc.

I can look at the firewall logs, I can see that it's connecting to Microsoft with no issue, but it's not pulling down any listings. It does pull down the correct channels though - just no guide data whatsoever.

Has anyone got any clue on how to fix this?

[Moderator note: topic merged]
I had the same thing happen (too many download failures during TV setup)

Go here and do the steps in post #1501 (you may want to read post #1512 also). This should bring your EPG back under Rovi.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... start=1500

This has worked for most WMC users

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:11 am

Attachments
GuideRepair019.JPG

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:20 pm

HDTV-WMC-fan wrote:By the way, does anybody know if there is any truth to the rumors that the Windows 10 team has commandeered most of the WMC servers to handle the massive overloads caused by demand for Windows 10 downloads?
I've been thinking along those lines myself. I first learned here at Green Button last year that Microsoft relies on Akamai for delivering WMC guide data: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 410#p80288

According to a July 27 blog on the Windows 10 launch by Dan Rayburn, "Akamai has the largest share of the traffic": http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2015/07/ ... affic.html

Furthermore, Windows 10 PCs reportedly phone home to Akamai: http://www.osattack.com/why-is-windows- ... hnologies/

So yes, unusually busy servers might be at least partly to blame for the troubles that WMC users have experienced lately.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BTW it's been 5 pages since I asked this question, but still no reply: Is there anyone running Vista without TV Pack who is getting any guide data? If yes, please post.

Savemediacenter

Post by Savemediacenter » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:42 pm

Finally got my Rovi guide! I'm a happy camper!
I'm joining this forum just to post my experience so hopefully other don't have to suffer like I did!
I have worked on guide "download failure" for 2 straight days and have tried just about everything listed!
I was so frustrated even went ahead and upgraded to Window 10 and gave NextPVR a try. It was not nearly as polished an interface as WMC and the second time I used it it could not talk to my TV tuner for some reason. Also could not get any EPG going and wasn't sure if I wanted to committed $25/yr for Schedule Direct.
Got tired so rolled back to Window 7, thought at least I could manual record without the guide. Just in case went ahead and did the ipconfig/flushdns , add another line to the host file-
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com AND
72.246.56.69 cdn.epg,tvdownload.microsoft.com
Reboot the computer. Tried a San Francisco ZIP that was reported to be working. Still nothing happened.
As I was ready to give up one last time I started the TV setup with a Sacramento ZIP code 95814 where I live and voila, it downloaded the Rovi guide as I was least expecting it!

Bottom line is maybe it's all luck of the draw, maybe the server was busy you just need to hit it the right time to get it downloaded? But it appears some of the steps like flush dans and modifying the host file are necessary? At any rate, if any of you are still struggling maybe to keep trying the TV setup? Cheers!

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:16 pm

dukeynstewie wrote:Just wanted to share what worked for me step by step:

Make sure to close WMC

A-) Modify Host File

- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
-Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
-Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
-When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
-In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
-Click Open.
-Replace the IP address at the bottom of file with:
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
-Click File > Save to save your changes.

B-) CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD AND ASSIGNMENT (By Wyldwof):

-Close WMC
-Open Task Scheduler - Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks
-In the left tree expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center
-In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)
-Close Task Scheduler

C-DNS FLUSH

-Click Start.
-Select Programs.
-Select Accessories and locate the Command Prompt shortcut.
-Right click the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu.
-Type ipconfig /release in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been released.
-Type ipconfig /renew in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been re-established.
-Type ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt.
-Close the command prompt and reboot computer

Last step is to run "Set Up TV Signal" from the WMC settings menu. After running the set up it should take 3-5 mins for the guide to update. Hope it helps.
This worked for me on a fresh Windows 7 install! Tried a dozen different zip codes with no success. I have 2 other computers on the same network that didn't require any of these steps. Makes no sense to me.

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:04 am

Here's what we're seeing....and it's pretty darn interesting....

From my post above, I had a several year old Win 7 Media Center install working and it changed over to Rovi without too much issue. The other day, an unrelated issue caused me to do a complete format/re-install. With all updates....No guide Data.

The symptom is that the system connects to data.tvdownload.microsoft.com:443 with no issue. That machine (in this attempt it was 65.55.5.170:443) responds correctly with all requested data. Ie, it sends back all the separate dB files. The problem is that it happens very fast. Looking at the guide shows No Guide Data for everything.

OK, so my machine is connecting to data.tvdownload.microsoft.com with no issues. That machine is sending back the data files. The issue seems to be that the data files are empty and contain, literally, No Guide Data.

So...from a connectivity standpoint, it's all good! The conclusion I would draw then is that data.tvdownload.microsoft.com:443 is sending back Zap2It listings and, because Zap2it has been phased out, those listings are now all full of nothing resulting in No Guide Data.

So, I then go into my Windows 7 Hosts file and add in these lines;

72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

This IS saved as the Hosts file - not hosts.txt or whatever. I then issue a ipconfig /flushdns (even though this should not be required) and further yet, re-start the Windows 7 machine.

Once it re-starts I then start up a live trace of the traffic coming from this one specific machine while I force a manual update of the guide using Media Center (tell it to get the latest guide listings).

What do I see in the network logfile? This;

data.tvdownload.microsoft.com 65.55.5.170 443

Under no circumstances will Windows 7 use the hosts file......

I then check with my two local (LAN) DNS servers. They are set to forward to Google. I do a nslookup at Google and what do I find for data.tvdownload.microsoft.com ? 65.55.5.170 - Makes sense, my DNS servers forward to there and that's Google's answer.

So I check with my ISP's DNS servers and I get this for data.tvdownload.microsoft.com 65.55.186.115 - Hmmmm...that's a lot closer to what people are recommending using. So I go into Media Center, try another manual EPG update, it connects just fine to Microsoft's data.tvdownload.microsoft.com at 65.55.186.115 but once more, the guide download is instant and the guide contains no data.

So far what I'm seeing is some pretty odd behavior. People are saying to use the hosts file with this (65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com) and what I'm seeing is that Windows 7 will, under NO circumstances, parse the hosts file first during domain name resolution. That alone is really freaking weird behaviour.

The second thing I'm seeing is that Google thinks data.tvdownload.microsoft.com is one address and my ISP's DNS servers think it's another. In any event, there is no way that I can force Media Center to go to any IP address through the hosts file. It seems Windows 7 completely ignores it. I know from experience there are other problems with the TCP/IP stack in Windows 7 but suffice to say, this is really odd behavior.

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:25 am

Go figure....now it works....

I think there's a LOT of DNS/Routing in this issue.....

Especially since my network logs show that it's now using 65.55.186.113 - which I could not set using the hosts file...

SLK in SF

Post by SLK in SF » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:14 pm

grittree wrote:This EPG changeover is really unique. It has caused huge problems for many people. And a few people still have problems.

But what is unique is that after an extended time, there is no definitive solution or explanation. And the shame is MS should have jumped in and explained what the problems were. And I have little doubt that they know. But since MS had decided to "orphan" WMC, I understand.

Anyway, we have enough anecdotal info to make some informed conclusions.

Many of us have multiple WMC systems, yet have different results on each PC. How is that possible? None of the "solutions" address that fact. Say you have two identical PCs, both running WMC, and one gets switched to Rovi, and one doesn't.

Actually, that is very common. Happened to me. How could all the HOSTS/DNS/etc/etc solutions be definitive when every one of them has gotten replies saying "worked for me" and many other replies saying the opposite.

In summary, there is/was a problem. TGB had lots of good info initially, but the discussion seems to have been taken over by people who don't understand the technology, but finally got their EPG back and now think they know why.

I am really upset at MS for causing all this pain for many of us. We finally had the MS guy in charge show up. I think it was at AVS. But he just addressed some stuff about Rovi not being as good as zap2it. That is not acceptable.
Thanks. This makes sense to me, and I've been through all 81 pages of this topic and have tried the suggested solutions without success. Am still hoping for my number to come up in the server lottery.

I share your disgust with MS for its miserable response to this widespread problem.

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:44 pm

joeer77 wrote:
dukeynstewie wrote:Just wanted to share what worked for me step by step:

B-) CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD AND ASSIGNMENT (By Wyldwof):

-Close WMC
-Open Task Scheduler - Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks
-In the left tree expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center
-In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)
-Close Task Scheduler

Can someone help me with "-In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)" I'm looking at task scheduler and cannot see this ? (Vista Ultimate X64)

My guide has not been updating although it says it's downloaded successfully my channels have now run out of data after 14 days of not downloading anything.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 pm

kennyken wrote:Can someone help me with "-In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)" I'm looking at task scheduler and cannot see this ? (Vista Ultimate X64) My guide has not been updating although it says it's downloaded successfully my channels have now run out of data after 14 days of not downloading anything.
Hello kennyken, ObjectStoreRecoveryTask must be a Win7/8 task. I cannot see it on my Vista Home Premium x86 even though I have TV Pack, which is nearly identical to W7MC. (Instructions should read "middle pane.") On the bright side, I do have Rovi data, and I'm pretty sure that TV Pack was the key to my success. However the DNS Flush instructions in the post you quoted might be worth a try. Would I be correct in guessing that your "About Guide Listings" still shows Zap2It? [Edit] Don't miss this thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =93&t=9031

hipsterdoofus

Post by hipsterdoofus » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:14 am

I have 2 machines with WMC - Windows 8.1 (working ), Windows 7 (not working). Windows 7 I had to do the tv signal setup again to get the rovi guide. It worked for a month or more and now guide listings ran out again as of 8/30. I tried to re-set up the tv signal, and now it is even more screwed up than before. Now I am getting the message "the new tv setup data could not be downloaded" and I don't even end up with channels let alone EPG. Has anyone else ran into this? The only thing I've seen on it is https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... itpromedia, but I'm not sure how legit this answer is. Would appreciate input.

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Vistaar wrote:
kennyken wrote: Would I be correct in guessing that your "About Guide Listings" still shows Zap2It? [Edit] Don't miss this thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =93&t=9031

Thanks for your help I tried the DNS cache flush using CMD and admin and rebooted my PC, media center said it was downloading guide data upon reboot but it did not actually get anything.

As for Zap2it I have no idea what that is, and I'm in the UK using media center with no addons or mods. Please check out this screenshot of my guide about because I think I got a different problem, check out the date :clap: Does that mean I no longer get tv guide data :shock:

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:23 pm

I initially did not like the new lineup, as many channels were missing. I live in the Youngstown market, but can pickup other markets with my rooftop antenna. I record both Cleveland and Youngstown channels frequently. I opened a ticket with Rovi directly about this. Below is the response that I received. Sure enough, the new lineup is there, and it includes Cleveland, Youngstown, Erie, Pittsburgh, and Wheeling. Great support from Rovi! My WMC lives on!

A new broadcast lineup for your area has been created that contains channels from a broader reach. In the next 24-48 hours you will find an option with your zip code called Cleveland/Surround. You may need to rerun setup for WMC to select this option.

If you continue to have issues please open a ticket with Microsoft in the Connect application (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback). Microsoft will work directly with Rovi on any further issues you might be having.

dnsacks

Post by dnsacks » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:26 pm

After repeated unsuccessful attempts to update my directory via microsoft, I finally bit the bullet and followed the instructions to convert to schedules direct found earlier in the thread. Used the 7 day trial membership so I could prove-out whether it worked and, while time consuming, now have my guide back and auto-updating via schedules direct. $25 annual fee (assuming it continues to work) I just paid to schedules direct is money well spent to have my guide data back.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 pm

kennyken wrote:As for Zap2it I have no idea what that is, and I'm in the UK using media center with no addons or mods. Please check out this screenshot of my guide about because I think I got a different problem, check out the date. Does that mean I no longer get tv guide data?
I wouldn't have guessed you were in the United Kingdom (you might want to edit your profile to include Location). The "EPG Cutover" from Zap2It to Rovi is a North American issue; however as a Vista user, I am convinced that it also entails the elimination of the legacy guide service for Vista. Your post might be an indication that the same thing is happening in the UK, but I don't really know and perhaps we shouldn't jump to far-reaching conclusions.

I hate to see Vista lose more and more users, but have you ever looked into the possibility of installing Windows 7 on your hardware? Here at GreenButton, the "Windows 7 Media Center" forum has an "International Issues" subforum (and the same goes for Windows 8), but I just checked and everything appears quiet on that front. W7MC includes H.264 support, so with a suitable tuner you could watch and record DVB-T2 HD channels. (Even with TV Pack, Vista WMC has no H.264 support.) However if Win7 is out of the question, then TV Pack might solve your immediate guide issue. I found an external link in which one of your countrymen had a similar issue a few years ago, and solved it with TV Pack: http://trumphurst.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0 ... ogram.html.

You might want to start your own thread in the "Windows Media Center Legacy Editions" forum here, in which case be sure to mention "Vista" and "UK" in your thread's title.

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:31 pm

Quite annoying because my brother actually uses MC Extender on his 360 console for watching all his TV as do my parents use their 360 console to record scheduled programs.Thanks vistaar sounds like I'm stuck for now then. That Trumphurst post is correct it's the exact same thing, everyone's EPG data expired (well all of us who use media center) and there was loads of rants on forums. Then 2 weeks later Microsoft sorted it out. I'm gonna hang on and hope they sort things out. I don't plan on moving to another OS and yes I know all about the h.264 vista 7 scam Microsoft pulled to persuade media center users to upgrade in the UK it's meaningless there are only 3 or 4 HD channels going and it's not even full HD anyway. Will not benefit me since I use a Cinergy 2400i DT which only supports standard res.

16volt

Post by 16volt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:44 am

I am having an issue with all my local PBS (KAET) stations since Sept 1st. I can't get any signal in Windows Media Center for any of these channels.

I can view them just fine using HDHomeRun Viewer and using just the antenna.

I tried to get these channels on 2 different computers and they just stopped working on WMC but have 100% signal.

I don't know what to do at this point, did something change? anyone else having this issue?

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 pm

FINALLY!!!

After a solid month of trying everything, my WMC finally downloaded the Rovi guide data. I am almost crying tears of joy as I write this, what a relief.

My story in brief:
Noticed no guide data.
Tried updating guide, download errors - mild curiosity.
Searched the web, tried everything - annoyance, commiserated with all of you.
Reinstalled win 7, tried everything - frustration.
Installed win 8, paid for WMC, tried everything - despair.
Tried all possible combinations of all suggested solutions - anger and bitterness.
Gave up, tried every few days - resignation.
Tried again this morning, did the usual, hosts file, objectstorerecoverytask, release/renew/flush DNS, reboot.

And then suddenly I noticed I was at the next screen, no error, WTH? Yeah! Profound relief, giddiness, desire to move on with a normal life.

So there is hope, maybe MS has made some fixes, way too late as usual.

Good luck to all!

imaham

Post by imaham » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:38 pm

al_wilson2 wrote: I live in the Youngstown market, but can pickup other markets with my rooftop antenna. I record both Cleveland and Youngstown channels frequently. I opened a ticket with Rovi directly about this. Below is the response that I received. Sure enough, the new lineup is there, and it includes Cleveland, Youngstown, Erie, Pittsburgh, and Wheeling. Great support from Rovi! My WMC lives on!
Which Youngstown market are you referring to Al? I'm using 14174 (Youngstown N.Y.) which contains mostly Buffalo area and a bunch of Canadian channels near Toronto. I don't see any OTA lineup for anything except Buffalo, remainder are Cable/Satellite listings. Headend ID is 309582194.

JK

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:49 pm

@16volt-

WMC tunes to only the channels that the EPG states it has. What this means is that your guide does not have the PBS stations in them. You can get WMC to tune the channels by going into TV setup and having WMC scan for more channels. You can then use WMC to map the correct guide listing to the new set of channels. You can also use guidetool to set this up.

In the long run you should create a ticket on the microsoft site so that Rovi knows the channels are missing in your zip code so that it gets fixed in a few weeks.