360 extender noob, issues

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
UCBearcat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by UCBearcat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:19 am

You don't even need to program the Harmony remote to send it to WMC mode on the XBox. In the XBox360 settings menu, you can actually set it up to boot directly into WMC as soon as it turns on. And the remote button pushes are super-wife-friendly.
In our living room, it's a simple as hit the "Watch TV" activity button on the remote. Then keep the remote pointed at the TV (and XBox) for about 3 seconds so it has a chance to send all of the pre-programmed commands (turn on TV, Turn on XBox, turn on sound bar if applicable, set TV input to HDMI1 or 2). The XB360 simply bypasses the regular dashboard screen and immediately loads WMC.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Hitting the green flag button on the XBOX media remote, or the button programmed as "menu" on the harmony will launch media center from any app on the XBOX, including launching WMC from a powered off state even if it's normally configured to boot to the XBOX dashboard.

McGary

Post by McGary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Excellent -- sounds like it's plenty simple. Until now I've been using other PC's attached to every TV and simply ran WMC on all of them, with the media library pointing to the recorded TV on my main HTPC. Works fine for watching -- you just can't set recordings from the remote PCs. However, I've now switched to all cable-card tuners, so I have to use extenders (especially since Time Warner marks EVERYTHING as copy once, regardless of whether or not the provider requires it). So ... I'm in the "debating between an Xbox or an Echo" mode. I like the small size of the Echo ... and those on the forum who have them are generally very positive -- but I've also read some reviews that indicate the Xbox is more reliable (and of course can also be used as an Xbox -- although that's highly unlikely (we're seniors who are long past the game console stage). Do any of you have both? ... or experience with both. Just curious which you'd buy if you were starting over. The higher power consumption of an Xbox is no big deal ... and from what's been said in this thread if I get a 360S it will be plenty QUIET (everyone agree ??) ... so the only real difference is the size (the Echo is certainly a slick looking little box).

One potentially big advantage of the Xbox is Windows 8.1 compatibility, but my HTPC is '7 and as it works perfectly I doubt I'll ever bother to switch.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:02 pm

I'm afraid i'll be no help regarding opinion of Echo vs XB360, as I've never owned an Echo. I was excited for the Echo when it was announced, but I stayed away for all the reasons that you've probably read about in the forums. Of the 3 XBoxes I have, only one of them ever sees double-duty as a gaming machine and an extender. The other 2 are used as extenders 99% of the time. Although I have no plans to make the jump to Win 8/8.1 any time soon, I do like the flexibility that the XBoxen provide in that respect.
Fortunately, you have done your homework. So, regardless of which route you go, it sounds like you know what you're getting into with either choice you make.

Senior or not - you're never too young for gaming. :)

McGary

Post by McGary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:01 pm

UCBearcat wrote: Senior or not - you're never too young for gaming. :)
I suppose there's some truth to that -- once I actually HAVE an Xbox, no telling what I might decide to try :D

The main complaint I've read about r.e. the Xbox's is that they can be rather loud ... but several have said that a 360S doesn't have that problem. Are yours the S models? ... and would you agree that they're quiet enough that you don't really hear them?

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:53 pm

The white one that I bought in 2010 is pretty loud... It's hooked to our bedroom TV, which gets very little use. No way I would want to listen to that thing hum in the living room for an entire evening.
If I recall, the 2 S models i have were purchased around 2012/2013. Both are pretty quiet. I have to put my ear up to them (roughly 2 feet) to hear them. And even then, it's just like a whisper. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been pleased with both of mine.

McGary

Post by McGary » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:07 pm

I'll find out next week -- just ordered a 360 S model from e-bay. Gonna put that one in my "man cave" (extra 60" TV where I watch stuff the wife doesn't like). If that works nicely I'll buy a couple more for the master bedroom and our guest room. Main family room doesn't need an extender ... that's where the HTPC lives.

McGary

Post by McGary » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Well, the one I ordered came VERY fast -- got it yesterday. It's a black 360 S model ... and it is indeed VERY quiet. I can't hear it unless I get within a few inches. Works very well ... I just ordered two more of the same, so I'll be done with extenders everywhere I need them.

... and it's also VERY "wife friendly" => set it to auto-on to WMC, and programmed the Harmony so it's a single button press and ~ 35 seconds later you're using Media Center exactly as it works in the main room.