Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
dnsacks

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by dnsacks » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Augustus wrote:
I'm not sure that that is true about what a 403 error implies. I do indeed get the 403 error when I enter data.tvdownload.microsoft.com into a browser which you say indicates the site is up, but then I found a site called Uptrends.com and under their tools I ran the up-time test and data.tvdownload.microsoft.com fails from all tested points with a "high protocol error." It also shows no return data on their speed test and the DNS report shows errors as well. I tested other sites such as google.com and they ran fine.

Ping may be unreliable, but the time outs it is reporting are certainly consistent with the errors reported at Uptrends.

I still think that the best hypothesis here is that there are server issues at the root of all this, and that the fixes mentioned on this thread worked only because they were coincident with the server being up.

Good luck to all.
Augustus -- while I don't disagree with your conclusion that server issues are at the root of all of this (and continue to share your lack of guide data), not sure that uptrends.com is clarifying the picture. Per uptrends' up-time test description, "The Free Uptime Check utilizes select regional groupings from our network of 136 global checkpoints, which systematically pings and checks your website’s uptime."

If uptrends.com is using the same ping command that's been discussed above, it's going to find that the ICMP issue discussed above makes it unpingable and will report that it's offline.

My one problem with your hypothesis is that, if true, I must be one of the unluckyest folks around -- even thought I've tried to get the info/connect with their server dozens of times at a variety of different times of the day, I'm still striking out. I'm confident that the server is AN issue, but would love to understand the minimum steps necessary to "cue up" MCE to download the guide if/when it does connect. Seems it's somewhere between simply instructing media center to manually update and running the myriad of solutions detailed in this thread.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:27 pm

All you guys that are trying to ping data.tvdownload.microsoft.com are wasting your time. The MS servers at these addresses have never allowed ping to work, and they never will. Stop trying.

If you want to get more valid IP's for data.tvdownload.microsoft.com, you can use this site:
http://www.cogentco.com/en/network/looking-glass

select PING test, select a city, paste in data.tvdownload.microsoft.com, click Go.
Wait... you will get an IP and 100% packet loss or packets filtered.
Try another city, you may get a different IP but still it will be 100% packet loss/filtered.
repeat to get more IPs...

grittree

Post by grittree » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:37 pm

Awful lot of FUD here.

Lets talk about pings. From a really smart guy:
====
The MS servers don't respond to ICMP/ping. It's not a useful test for connectability. I've had no troubles using public DNS (opennic or opendns) for several weeks. Currently I resolve from SEA to:
data - 65.55.186.115
cdn.epg - 184.25.56.52 & x.x.x.44

I would suggest you not force an IP anymore unless you absolutely know you need to.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... oft#p92689
====
Then, as to HOSTS, just go to an elevated command prompt and do an nslookup of the data.tvdownload.microsoft.com site. It will return a dotted quad address starting with 65.55
Ping that address and it will timeout. Do the whole thing again, and you will get a different address. MS has loads of IPs that will respond to your DNS request. But not to pings. Other than a rare event, it doesn't matter which DNS you specify. Google is not better than whoever your ISP assigned.

dnsacks

Post by dnsacks » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:17 pm

grittree wrote:Awful lot of FUD here.

Lets talk about pings. From a really smart guy:
====
The MS servers don't respond to ICMP/ping. It's not a useful test for connectability. I've had no troubles using public DNS (opennic or opendns) for several weeks. Currently I resolve from SEA to:
data - 65.55.186.115
cdn.epg - 184.25.56.52 & x.x.x.44

I would suggest you not force an IP anymore unless you absolutely know you need to.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... oft#p92689
====
Then, as to HOSTS, just go to an elevated command prompt and do an nslookup of the data.tvdownload.microsoft.com site. It will return a dotted quad address starting with 65.55
Ping that address and it will timeout. Do the whole thing again, and you will get a different address. MS has loads of IPs that will respond to your DNS request. But not to pings. Other than a rare event, it doesn't matter which DNS you specify. Google is not better than whoever your ISP assigned.
OK -- so it's clear to me that the ping "issue" with these addresses was a red herring. Back to my question -- After trying the various "fixes" in this thread (i.e. using a known-good zipcode for rovi (80206 and 8022) running ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, uninstalling and reinstalling the MCE component, deleting the \programdata\ehome directory, ipconfig /flushdns, etc. ) without success on my previously-running copy of Windows 8.1, I ended up performing a clean install of Windows 8.1 and am still at exactly the same place as before (and trying all of these various "fixes" has still not brought in guide data).

SO . . . what next? I've been forcing MCE updates at various times of the day by right clicking the green orb in the system tray and choosing "update now," am also going into guide, backing to the channel number, right clicking and selecting "update guide now," but still have no guide data. Are repeated update requests causing MCE to stop trying to update until "reset?" (how to reset?) Do I need to take another step before forcing a MCE update/guide refresh? (i.e. first run objectstorerecoverytask, etc.) ?

I'm about 2 weeks into this "no guide data" wormhole and have invested at least 20 hours of time into trying (and retrying) to get this done. While I suspect that, as others have posted, this is a problem that will likely "fix itself" over time, any thoughts on how to better my odds?

grittree

Post by grittree » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:38 pm

dnsacks, sorry, but there is no absolute solution. My 3rd PC had your exact problem. After trying all the solutions on the internet, I just tried the "Setup TV Signal" every few days. One time it worked.

grittree

Post by grittree » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:51 pm

This EPG changeover is really unique. It has caused huge problems for many people. And a few people still have problems.

But what is unique is that after an extended time, there is no definitive solution or explanation. And the shame is MS should have jumped in and explained what the problems were. And I have little doubt that they know. But since MS had decided to "orphan" WMC, I understand.

Anyway, we have enough anecdotal info to make some informed conclusions.

Many of us have multiple WMC systems, yet have different results on each PC. How is that possible? None of the "solutions" address that fact. Say you have two identical PCs, both running WMC, and one gets switched to Rovi, and one doesn't.

Actually, that is very common. Happened to me. How could all the HOSTS/DNS/etc/etc solutions be definitive when every one of them has gotten replies saying "worked for me" and many other replies saying the opposite.

In summary, there is/was a problem. TGB had lots of good info initially, but the discussion seems to have been taken over by people who don't understand the technology, but finally got their EPG back and now think they know why.

I am really upset at MS for causing all this pain for many of us. We finally had the MS guy in charge show up. I think it was at AVS. But he just addressed some stuff about Rovi not being as good as zap2it. That is not acceptable.

dnsacks

Post by dnsacks » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks Grittree -- I'll keep "doubling down" on Setup TV signal and see if I get a win

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:08 pm

@dnsacks-

Simply right clicking the icon and telling it to run mcupdate does not make it run. There are timers associated with mcupdate. You have to open an elevated command prompt, cd into the ehome directory and do mcupdate -uf -pscn 0 to truly force it to run.

It seems like some servers on the MS side properly download the guide and others don't. So it all depends on the luck of the draw if you are resolving the addresses via DNS. Here is what I would try:

Add static addresses for the WMC addresses so that DNS has nothing to contribute:
click start button
type CMD in search box
right click CMD and run as administrator
cd c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
notepad hosts
if there are ANY lines in your file that are for data.tvdownload.microsoft.com or cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com DELETE THEM
Add the following 2 lines
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
save the file and exit notepad

in your cmd window
ipconfig /flushdns

Now that this is done I would use the same elevated command prompt and cd to windows\ehome. Then I would do a mcupdate -uf -pscn 0 and allow it to finish. I would then repeat that again (mcupdate -uf -pscn 0, let it finish).

At this point I would run TV setup and force it to zipcode 11111. WMC will balk at your choice but keep forcing it to continue until it completes.

Reboot computer

Now do TV setup again and use your zip code.

BENSTER

Post by BENSTER » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:30 pm

I just wanted to chime in here and say thank you for post #1501 and #1515. I'm new to WMC, set up my cable card a week ago, and no guide. After floundering on Google, another member here pointed me to this thread, and I was able to get the guide working.

I used a new install of Win7 and set up WMC> no guide.

Upgraded to SP1 through Windows Update

Followed this guide, I already use Google DNS servers, added the two entries in my hosts File, and what ever else was here flush, reboot, do the chicken dance!.

Thanks for the help here!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:59 pm

In summary, there is/was a problem. TGB had lots of good info initially, but the discussion seems to have been taken over by people who don't understand the technology, but finally got their EPG back and now think they know why.
Of course they know why--it was the last thing they did that did the trick.

aka, voodoo.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:01 pm

Yep, I did a whole bunch of stuff. Have no idea which "one" was the trick, or if they all were necessary, or if the Rovi Servers decided that it was "my turn".

Here they are again, if anyone is still trying.

1 mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask, WMC is reset to new, out of the box, you loose everything. This will zero everything.
2 Hosts file edit, ipconfig /dnsflush
3 Uninstall tuners from device manager.
4 Uninstall tuners from Programs.
5 New drivers from Ceton.
6 Run WMC's Setup "Custom" (only the tv and tuner section)
7 Start doing the zip code shuffle

One thing that I did, that I don't see anyone else mentioning much. I tore out the tuner software in step 3 and 4, and was prepared to "factory reset" the Ceton tuner if necessary. Keep in mind, those tuners are not as dumb as they look. I believe tuners can retain settings that can prevent other software steps from completing properly. I did not physically remove the tuner from the PciE slot, however, I was prepared to reset the motherboard BIOS if necessary. Do not accept NO as an answer. Keep slapping it until it gives up or dies.

BrianAz

Post by BrianAz » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:08 pm

I've been on Rovi for several weeks now. Everything downloads fine and most of my "cable" channels have correct guide data. However, like many of you, I am only getting generic descriptions for a lot of daily network shows (esp. Fallon, Meyers, Kimmel, etc).

I posted my issue to the MS connect site here: https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/1722220

The only other issue I'm seeing is incorrect artwork. But honestly, all that matters to me is the descriptions and timing are accurate.

I haven't heard back as of yet, but I'll post back here if/when I do. I'm also concerned from the posts I've read where people said Rovi fixed this show descriptions issue only for it to come back in a few weeks. :crazy:

grittree

Post by grittree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Crash, I love your posting. First sentence was accurate. And then you went into humor.

"those tuners are not as dumb as they look". How dumb do you think a PCIe card looks? Does it have anything to do with the red color? I just looked at mine, and it looked semi-intelligent.

How do you reset a BIOS? Forward or backwards? Or sideways? Inquiring minds want to know.

And thanks for the "slapping" suggestions. I might try that the next time my PC or girl friend causes a problem.

Regards

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:29 am

grittree wrote:Crash, I love your posting. First sentence was accurate. And then you went into humor.

"those tuners are not as dumb as they look". How dumb do you think a PCIe card looks? Does it have anything to do with the red color? I just looked at mine, and it looked semi-intelligent.

How do you reset a BIOS? Forward or backwards? Or sideways? Inquiring minds want to know.

And thanks for the "slapping" suggestions. I might try that the next time my PC or girl friend causes a problem.

Regards
do you have a ceton pcie tuner?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:50 am

If so, have you done a factory reset of the Ceton tuner as part of your process?

Have you pulled the cablecard?

Uninstall from device manager?

Uninstall from programs?

BTW is your tuners IP set to factory default? If not, what is it set to?

I'll start talking bios after you answer this one.

whoareyou

Post by whoareyou » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:25 am

As far as the generic description issue for shows such as The Tonight Show .... Does anyone's guide have the correct descriptions?

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:19 pm

I have to do a complete reinstall, update of WMC every ~10-14 days.

When I setup WMC it works fine. I get about 10-14 days of guide. That is all. Every update after that adds no new data, so my guide runs out and I have to do all the setup again.

Any ideas on how to fix this particular problem? I have done this 4 or 5 times now, and it is getting really irritating.

lees40

Post by lees40 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:44 pm

ewtaylo wrote:@dnsacks-

Simply right clicking the icon and telling it to run mcupdate does not make it run. There are timers associated with mcupdate. You have to open an elevated command prompt, cd into the ehome directory and do mcupdate -uf -pscn 0 to truly force it to run.

It seems like some servers on the MS side properly download the guide and others don't. So it all depends on the luck of the draw if you are resolving the addresses via DNS. Here is what I would try:

Add static addresses for the WMC addresses so that DNS has nothing to contribute:
click start button
type CMD in search box
right click CMD and run as administrator
cd c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
notepad hosts
if there are ANY lines in your file that are for data.tvdownload.microsoft.com or cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com DELETE THEM
Add the following 2 lines
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
save the file and exit notepad

in your cmd window
ipconfig /flushdns

Now that this is done I would use the same elevated command prompt and cd to windows\ehome. Then I would do a mcupdate -uf -pscn 0 and allow it to finish. I would then repeat that again (mcupdate -uf -pscn 0, let it finish).

At this point I would run TV setup and force it to zipcode 11111. WMC will balk at your choice but keep forcing it to continue until it completes.

Reboot computer

Now do TV setup again and use your zip code.

Well... I've been struggling with this for quite some time on a box that was upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home premium. I just did the update from the command prompt... and it worked.

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:24 pm

RECOMMENDED: Clearing the DNS cache.
This is a simple step and seems to be effective in some cases. To do this, open an elevated Command Prompt and enter ipconfig /flushdns. This removes old DNS entries from the cache and forces the machine to reacquire the proper IP’s for our download URL’s.
Thanks for this, it is working for zipcode 23601.

It has been weeks since it had an EPG guide.

[Moderator note: topic merged]

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:57 pm

I had a years old MC install (Windows 7) and managed to even get it over to the new guide with little issue (other then the poor listings quality that Rovi is becoming well known for).

However, the other day the computer kaffed and I had to do an O/S re-install. I installed all the updates and....guess what....it refuses to download any guide info. A message pops up during setup saying that there were too many guide updated failures etc.

I can look at the firewall logs, I can see that it's connecting to Microsoft with no issue, but it's not pulling down any listings. It does pull down the correct channels though - just no guide data whatsoever.

Has anyone got any clue on how to fix this?

[Moderator note: topic merged]