Directly accessing 8.1 apps through Media Center ?

3rob3

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Ya, I didn't see anything about keyboard control that rantanamo mentioned.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:33 pm

3rob3 wrote:Ya, I didn't see anything about keyboard control that rantanamo mentioned.
Yea, that would be the big one... If a shortcut to a 8.1 app could be placed on the desktop, no question it could be put in WMC with a little work (a trial and error thing). The biggest thing is controlling with the remote...

After trying to use about 10 apps with a remote (connected a MC IR device to my 8.1 tablet and tried with a remote) and it did nothing, it would be interesting how it could be done. If it's just a mouse emulator that's done with the remote, not sure on how usable that actually would be.

Almost 1/2 way there....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:57 pm

Interesting, a script was found to run 8.1's Netflix inside Windows Media Center using a remote control..... I spotted this in the thread about Netflix's death on WMC...

I wonder if this script could be modded to use other apps, this could open a WHOLE world of apps for Windows Media Center... WMC is NOT DEAD YET ! :)

https://gist.github.com/holgate/01d73c6ac33ab4b6d66f

Anyone with a Netflix account and 8.1 running at 1080p willing to test this to see how well it works ?

This was the post I found it... Need some experts to look over this and see if it's possible....

RacerX10 wrote:I think I'm going to try Windows 8.1 /w WMC and use the Netflix App available for Windows 8/10. If I get really lucky, I might even be able to launch Netflix out of WMC.

I can't think of a better way forward than that. Kodi / MediaPortal are too clunky, with many pieces that don't work for what I'm trying to do here.

I found an solution that is supposed to let me navigate around in the Netflix app with the WMC remote, but I haven't actually tested it yet : https://gist.github.com/holgate/01d73c6ac33ab4b6d66f
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

coolVariable

Post by coolVariable » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:46 am

Would absolutely try the script if there was a way to convert the pixels for different dimensions.

Otherwise, has anyone tried using an air mouse?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:54 pm

coolVariable wrote:Would absolutely try the script if there was a way to convert the pixels for different dimensions.

Not sure you can reply to the thread where it's made, maybe he still uses the product and has some updates for it. I think for a quick account and a good layout of how it works, it might be worth it...

I run my TV and WMC at 2160p (4K), so using for even 1080p, wont do for my case.

Personally using an air mouse would work but, it loses what I am looking for myself. I want the WMC experience across all programs, one remote to do everything, to make it more appliance like, than a PC.

So, dumping a mouse in to everything loses what I love about WMC...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

dlarry

Post by dlarry » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:48 pm

coolVariable wrote:Would absolutely try the script if there was a way to convert the pixels for different dimensions.

I keep an air mouse and wireless keyboard with my remotes to get over these limitations, particularly playing apps or web-browser video. It works, but is less than ideal, playing ten-foot seek-and-click with the air mouse often turns into a dexterity test. It would be much better in my opinion to get these apps to run from WMC. I'll be watching this thread and searching others for the best solution.

If anyone has had luck already, the first items I'd like to have improved WMC access for are SlingTV, NASAtv, and Xfinity's browser-based content.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:39 pm

I gave up on the full remote experience long ago. I have a wireless trackball that works great from the couch and requires no keyboard for anything.

I can still use the remote for everything in WMC and powering the TV on and off, and the trackball works for all of the apps inside Windows.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Still rockin' the full remote experience in my house, 15 years and counting. Of course I use WMC for TV and a Roku instead of Windows apps (both to be replace by Tivo shortly). My universal remotes have outlived every device I've ever had in my home theater and still do their job perfectly, giving me one button access to everything seamlessly.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:44 pm

mdavej wrote:Still rockin' the full remote experience in my house, 15 years and counting. Of course I use WMC for TV and a Roku instead of Windows apps (both to be replace by Tivo shortly). My universal remotes have outlived every device I've ever had in my home theater and still do their job perfectly, giving me one button access to everything seamlessly.
Did you take advantage of the summer sale for Tivo? I was very tempted, worried about the Plex app though. Sounds like it is slow and 720p only.