BIG NEWS! Xbox one to become a DVR!!!!

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mcewinter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:00 pm

STC wrote:
Ed  wrote:....and a network tuner somewhere on the network.....
Yes, this is my point. There will always be hardware tuners in the mix. I think though, the more hardware parts that are xbox specific (therefore $licensed$), more viable the complete solution is to MS. Would MS allow the use of a third party DRM scheme or design bespoke PlayReady code? I think the latter.
The difference is that you wouldn't have to wait for Microsoft to sanction said tuners. Very much exactly like Kodi.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:08 pm

^ They probably are already in the process of doing just that ;)
The big market is paid programming.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:13 pm

mike_ekim wrote:If MS is going to support encrypted/DRM cable, it likely won't be via cable cards. Cablecards are about to be a thing of the past.
Care to place a wager? I would bet good money that the hypothetical "AllVid" replacement for CableCARD a) does not exist, even as a reference design, by 2020 and b) is not supported by even a single TV provider by 2025.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:55 pm

glugglug wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:If MS is going to support encrypted/DRM cable, it likely won't be via cable cards. Cablecards are about to be a thing of the past.
Care to place a wager? I would bet good money that the hypothetical "AllVid" replacement for CableCARD a) does not exist, even as a reference design, by 2020 and b) is not supported by even a single TV provider by 2025.
Interesting. I have a cable box for encrypted cable, and it does NOT use a CableCard. I didn't mention AllVid in my previous post, but we shall see what shakes out. VidiPath?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:02 pm

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the Comcast X1 DVRs don't use CableCard? I could have sworn I read that.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Ed  wrote:Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the Comcast X1 DVRs don't use CableCard? I could have sworn I read that.
I'm not sure if there are no cable cards, but supposedly VidiPath is coming to Comcast X1 and Cox Contour.

http://www.qctv.org/files/qccc/Packets/ ... e_2015.pdf
http://hightechindustrynews.com/cables- ... to-retail/
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... cO-wvlVhBc

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:28 pm

^ Interesting:
DLNA launched the VidiPath certification program last fall, which is being used to stamp products that adhere to the CVP- 2 guidelines. At the time, DLNA said at least 15 companies were working on VidiPath-compatible products.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:50 pm

STC wrote:^ Interesting:
DLNA launched the VidiPath certification program last fall, which is being used to stamp products that adhere to the CVP- 2 guidelines. At the time, DLNA said at least 15 companies were working on VidiPath-compatible products.
I'm a Cox subscriber but not a Contour subscriber (why pay more, when I can pay less? lol) but my understanding is that the Contour users get a few extra stations (in h.264, some old boxes can't decode them) and can stream some stations to certain tablets (iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Nexus).

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:13 am

Vidipath is for streaming from your cable box to other devices on your LAN. It is NOT for streaming from the cable company to you through the internet, and NOT for any 3rd party box to be able to tune channels with. In other words, not a CableCARD replacement, and never intended to be.

frantick

Post by frantick » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:29 am

XBone needs 2 tuners or the ability to use 2 usb tuners. Imagine not being able to switch channels because something is recording. Yuk! I can live with OTA, I do now, but I need 2, dang it MS!

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:50 am

^ Once you use up to six, even going down to four would be a big negative.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:04 am

STC wrote:^ Once you use up to six, even going down to four would be a big negative.
This.

Although with OTA in my area, I think four would be fine.

But really, I already have 6 network tuners. For OTA. So yeah, two is not an option. I want to use my 6 network tuners. Shoot, I want to use network tuners, period. I would buy new ones. But I don't want to buy physical external things that must be bolted to the XBone in some fashion. Because the XBone is also a Blu-ray Disc player, I'm not going to shove it in the basement; it will be physically attached to the TV. Therefore, it must be a clean and neat piece. External hard drive is bad enough. External USB tuners? No. Just no.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:01 am

This is interesting news. Isn't it planned to roll-out Windows 10 to XBox One? If so surely it isn't much of a leap to make this available to PCs?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:53 pm

IT Troll wrote:This is interesting news. Isn't it planned to roll-out Windows 10 to XBox One? If so surely it isn't much of a leap to make this available to PCs?
It's Xbox one STREAMING to Windows 10. I used it to play a few games, it works pretty good over all. If the feature is Xbox one only and not on the PCs (no TV option for Windows 10 right now besides streaming services), I don't see it coming to PCs unless your going to stream it from the Xbox one and in that case, just use the xbox one...

Microsoft has no plans right now to support Cablecards in the Xbox one, from what I understand this is the big license cost why WMC is not included/an option in Windows 10, as Microsoft would need to get Windows 10 re-certified for cable labs standards at a very large cost.

In my area, I am lucky if I get 2-4 channels OTA and that is religion channels and PBS, so pretty much nothing I will watch, maybe blue moon type of things nothing I would spend the money on. I have an original HD home run dual tuner QAM/OTA, if I got good channels I would be using it in my HTPC now...

So, let's see, Xbox one as DVR, Need a minatory external USB 3.0 drive to use the feature, Limit of OTA and 1 tuner only ? A joke to me, I'll stick with WMC for another few years
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Off-topic discussion moved to here--> http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =22&t=9091
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:57 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Microsoft would need to get Windows 10 re-certified for cable labs standards
I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true. There is no certification for an OS. There isn't even anything to certify. The OCUR is the only thing that requires certification.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Its my understanding the cost is the Dolby Digital licensing required to decode the stream that is the big cost factor.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:29 pm

Dubly. I mean, if it's not for heavy metal, it must be for this, right?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:37 am

TheOsburnFamil wrote:Its my understanding the cost is the Dolby Digital licensing required to decode the stream that is the big cost factor.
They already used that excuse with Windows 8. And in Windows 8, they decided to pass that cost to the end user. They could have done the same thing in Windows 10, but they chose not to do so...although they did release a $14.99 DVD player app (which, according to the reviews, is junk).

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:31 am

richard1980 wrote:
TheOsburnFamil wrote:Its my understanding the cost is the Dolby Digital licensing required to decode the stream that is the big cost factor.
They already used that excuse with Windows 8. And in Windows 8, they decided to pass that cost to the end user. They could have done the same thing in Windows 10, but they chose not to do so...although they did release a $14.99 DVD player app (which, according to the reviews, is junk).
Junky as it may be, in fairness, the DVD app is supposed to be free via Windows Update for users who upgraded to Win10.

http://aka.ms/win10dvd