Media Center EPG: Rovi Guide Data Quality

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
HTBruceM

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by HTBruceM » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:18 pm

Ed  wrote:
HTBruceM wrote:...If you have a HDHR Prime or Ceton InfiniTV cablecard tuner, you cannot use Guidetool to ADD an encrypted channel that is missing from the Rovi guide data. Or am I missing something? Has someone been able to do actually do this?
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=6#p91583
Thanks so much Ed! Took me a couple minutes to realize that I needed to enter the virtual channel number in both fields!

Whiznot

Post by Whiznot » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:38 am

A couple of my issues were addressed by Rovi but now I'm experiencing some strange behavior. One show set to manual recording only recorded the first few minutes instead of the complete 30 minutes. There was another time where I was only recording one show but the lights on my HD Homerun Prime indicated two active tuners. One of my tuners was not released when a previous recording should have ended.

I hope the Silicondust DVR due in October delivers a quality experience. I'm just not a fan of Microsoft anymore.

hae

Post by hae » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:16 am

As of 8/4 (and at least through 8/17), the Rovi "San Fran-Oak-Sj OTA Antenna" guide no longer enables WMC to recognize the rebroadcast listings of the PBS NewsHour. In other words, if we record the PBS NewsHour as a series, HD preferred, anytime, the same daily show may be recorded 8 times.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:54 am

Looks like another problem...

When I looked at my Series for "America's Got Talent" on 8/3 I saw that it was set to record the 8/4 episode but not the repeat of this episode on 8/7 (indicating "Another airing will record on 8/4/2015), so it looked good.

However, after the 8/4 episode recorded and the guide did an update, it now has the 8/7 repeat scheduled to record. It's as if WMC forgot that it already recorded the episode on 8/4.

This is a different problem then the one where several repeats of an episode are scheduled to record because it only decided to record this repeat after it had recorded the initial airing.

This is the second week in a row that this has happened, so I doubt it was just a one-time glitch.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:06 pm

I live in Phoenix area zip 85143. I have noticed a lot of ch changed to west code feed. One glaring exception for me is (The Discovery Channel HDTV) still is (East) cost feed. Has anybody else seen it change to west coast feed? also all the music choice channels have the same call sign. MC or MCHD, this than shows up as one channel in my ch logos. Has anybody advised ROVI of this error? I have tried changing the call sign in edit channel but is does not help.

Goodguy6

Post by Goodguy6 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Some channels show program times in Eastern Standard Time, even though the Rovi channels indicate West (PST) satellite channels. So, for example, a program for TNT network that actually airs at 6pm is listed as airing at 9pm. If I record on WMC whatever program they list for 6pm, I get the correct program. How can I get the listings for these channels to shift back to the correct time zone?

Does anyone else have time problem? If so, did you fix it? How?

[Moderator note: topic merged]

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Are all channels like this, or just a few ? Is your computer set to the right time zone (something overlooked by a lot of people with guide issues) ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:03 am

The new ROVI EPG stopped pulling two OTA channels schedules a week ago Monday in zip code 89117 Las Vegas for channels 8.3 Movies and 13.3 Heroes & Icons.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:35 am

Space wrote:Looks like another problem...

When I looked at my Series for "America's Got Talent" on 8/3 I saw that it was set to record the 8/4 episode but not the repeat of this episode on 8/7 (indicating "Another airing will record on 8/4/2015), so it looked good.

However, after the 8/4 episode recorded and the guide did an update, it now has the 8/7 repeat scheduled to record. It's as if WMC forgot that it already recorded the episode on 8/4.

This is a different problem then the one where several repeats of an episode are scheduled to record because it only decided to record this repeat after it had recorded the initial airing.

This is the second week in a row that this has happened, so I doubt it was just a one-time glitch.
Just an update on this that I forgot to mention...
When I select "do not record" on the 8/7 repeat, it is no longer set to record, however there is no "(i) This program will not be recorded per user request" on the episode like would normally happen when you tell WMC that you do not want a specific episode of a Series to not record. Strange...

Bob.Blockerlundt

Post by Bob.Blockerlundt » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:39 am

Space wrote:Looks like another problem...

Interesting that it got it right initially, then messed it up later.

I think you're right, this sounds like a new issue. Or at least, a new variation. Do you want to file a bug for this?

I think this is the other bug you are referring to, where repeats are scheduled to record. I guess this one though is wrong from the get-go, whereas yours was correct then wrong later.
#1603597 Rovi guide causes same episode to record twice a day.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:55 am

I'm just wondering if anyone else is seeing this same problem, or if it is just me. I also want to see if it keeps happening, as I know that they are still working on issues. If it continues, I can open a MS case.

It's interesting that this is the only show it has happened with. I record many other shows (on cable networks) and they repeat several times throughout the week, and they are not being recorded multiple times... Although I will have to look to see how many of them I have set to "new & rerun" (as I do AGT) as opposed to just "New".

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:05 pm

I found an issue last night with FOX programming. "Master Chef" and "Home Free" have generic descriptions, and are not being picked up for series recordings. It's the lack of episode descriptions causing this, as WMC thinks they are repeats.

Also, late night talk shows still have genereic descriptions, and are to no longer recording based on Actor Names....

Time Warner Cable, North East Ohio....

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:43 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Are all channels like this, or just a few ? Is your computer set to the right time zone (something overlooked by a lot of people with guide issues) ?
My clock is set to (UTC-07:00) Arizona time. I am in Phoenix area zip code 85143 so it is correct. Thanks for the suggestion though. There may be other channels that are using the incorrect feed but for me the ones I watch have all been fixed except for the discovery channel HDTV also I noticed lately the discovery ch among others are using generic episode descriptions as posted by others which is causing recording errors. I also posted this at the recommended Microsoft site but another issue is all the music choice channels have the same call sign which causes windows media center to list all music choice channels as an available source for said channel. so instead of 4 sources for channel 1913 I have 196. no available tuners anyone.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:46 pm

dejavux2 wrote:I found an issue last night with FOX programming. "Master Chef" and "Home Free" have generic descriptions, and are not being picked up for series recordings. It's the lack of episode descriptions causing this, as WMC thinks they are repeats.
On the Fox affiliate here, a few days ago the Big Bang Theory reruns in the early evening suddenly started going generic, without descriptions--and indeed, WMC didn't record a couple of them.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:04 am

I'm seeing quite a few incorrect movie covers for the record.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Space

Post by Space » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:02 am

Local station WJLP which shows old repeats of classic TV shows does not have any episode specific descriptions until August 11th @ 8pm, at which time every show has episode-specific details (so it looks like they fixed it). This continues until August 17th (the day added with last night's update) @ 8am where they stop having episode-specific info (broken again?). The update from tonight also has no episode specific data for this channel on the 18th and did not add it for the 17th.

I suppose this could just be that the info was not yet provided to Rovi and will update later, but I will keep a lookout to see if something broke again.

Also, I noticed that last nights (and tonight's) update only added one additional day of data, and considering that the night before there was no new day added, that means we have one less day of data in the guide. Also, the data was available for download last night (and tonight) at ~8:30pm EDT which is 8 hours earlier than the previous week or so. It could just be that they were delaying the update while they were fixing the data, and now it is back on the normal schedule.

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:09 am

Why can't I view the details of the tickets on Microsoft connect? It keeps saying I don't have permission to view it, even my own ticket.

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:41 pm

dejavux2 wrote:I found an issue last night with FOX programming. "Master Chef" and "Home Free" have generic descriptions, and are not being picked up for series recordings. It's the lack of episode descriptions causing this, as WMC thinks they are repeats.

Also, late night talk shows still have genereic descriptions, and are to no longer recording based on Actor Names....

Time Warner Cable, North East Ohio....
Ugh.... found more issues:

These issues are for: Time Warner Cable, North East Ohio, 44052

TVLAND Ch. 55 has no guide data
WeatherChannel Ch. 31 has no guide data
WeatherChannel Ch. 370 has no guide data
WBNXDT3 Ch. 9.3 has no guide data
LAFF TV Ch. 5.3 has no guide data
TCM (Turner Classic Movies) Ch. 276 has no guide data

Plus all of the 'generic' descriptions listed above, plus a lot more shows with generic descriptions....

Plus, I'm seeing the picture errors as well now. Example: My daughter watches 'Fish Hooks' on Disney XD, well the picture shown is for a show called 'Female Forces'....which I have no idea where it came from ....doesn't look like a kid's show.

Ugh....

Everything was good when the switch first happened, now this....

someperson

Post by someperson » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:27 am

n4mwd wrote:Also, it picked up a few scrambled OTA stations. I didn't think that was legal for OTA broadcasts. Anyhow, I'm showing Starz, Showtime and Airbox listed, but no EPG.
The Airbox service that you're picking up has been operating since 2012 on the signals of ION Television stations. It uses encrypted MPEG-4 channels that only their own receivers can decode.

They aren't the first ones to do this sort of thing either. Previously there was a service called USDTV that broadcasted various cable channels across several digital TV stations in select cities.

Even back in the '80s, there were analog stations that broadcasted scrambled services like ONTV and PRISM. So no, there's never been anything illegal about paid OTA television.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:25 am

Another way to fix the 2 city issue is to dedicate tuners to each city.

If you have 2 tuners, when you set up TV, just select 1 one tuner to set up and select the guide listing for one of the cities. At the end of the set up, it will ask if you want to set up the other tuner. Say yes, select the remaining tuner and then select the guide listing for the other city.

Now when you tune to a station in city A, it will always use tuner A, and when you tune to a station in city B, it will always use tuner B.

No more pooling of tuners to tune all stations, but at least you'll have a guide with all the stations in it.