BIG NEWS! Xbox one to become a DVR!!!!

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:52 pm

If anyone can push a non CableCard DRM solution through CableLabs it's MS and partners.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:32 pm

Part of me wonders, did SD start their kickstarter/push DVR development because Microsoft isn't using SD for their next-gen DVR? Hauppauge won the XBox tuner contract, SD lost, and SD saw its future dissolve.

I know I'm being repetitive, but I think it's pretty obvious that M$ won't use Cablecard in future products because cablecard is about to be dead. Software-based cable DRM is the future, but it wasn't ready in time for Windows 10. And lots of people don't use Windows for media, but they use XBox for media.

There were lots of hardware combinations that could be used for WMC, third party extenders, several tuners, and lots of questions/complaints on the forums from people who had slow extenders and crappy tuners, or their PC's antivirus would cause problems, or their network tuner would be on a different subnet, bla bla bla. Some people stick it out, do lots of research, and eventually get things working. That is OK for some people, but some people just want plug and play. Those are the people Microsoft is trying to cater to.

People asked for XBox to be a WMC extender, and for WMC to be added to Windows 10. People want to know how to have Cablecard support in Windows 10. But that's not what we will get.

(ironically in true Apple fashion) Microsoft is going to tell people what they want: WMC will be in XBox, not Windows 10. The OTA tuner will be Hauppauge (in the US) and when the software based cablecard is ready for prime time (pun intended) we may see that. Maybe with the same Hauppauge tuner, maybe with a different one.

SiliconDust acted fast. They got people to pay for their DVR software months before it was ready...and before we knew what was coming to the XBox. Bravo SD, well played.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:00 pm

The current XBone media player handles DLNA stuff. If SD succeeds in creating a standalone DVR system that emits DLNA-spec video, there would be no need for the Hauppauge single tuner. XBone could watch whatever the SD thing emits.

Lots of moving pieces in that, but still and all it could be that SD did what they had to do to remain relevant.

At the same time, were I SD I would not stop lobbying to be a tuner system for the XBone DVR--and/or try to work with Roku and/or Apple.

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Something I'm not seeing mentioned that has me excited is the ability to stream to Windows 10 or Smartglass. If they are able to go multi-tuner and some kind of cablecard or other future solution, this could make for a nice HTPC situation. Xbox One as the hub streaming to smaller, less powerful PCs running Windows 10 in tablet mode and having all of the streaming apps(which look great, btw) running full screen. Its a round-a-bout way of doing a complete HTPC that does everything, but it and the Xbox One may be the closest we ever get.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:48 pm

rantanamo wrote:Something I'm not seeing mentioned that has me excited is the ability to stream to Windows 10 or Smartglass. If they are able to go multi-tuner and some kind of cablecard or other future solution, this could make for a nice HTPC situation. Xbox One as the hub streaming to smaller, less powerful PCs running Windows 10 in tablet mode and having all of the streaming apps(which look great, btw) running full screen. Its a round-a-bout way of doing a complete HTPC that does everything, but it and the Xbox One may be the closest we ever get.
Looks like it will stream OTA recordings to WIndows 10 or SmartGlass. Also streaming live TV would be a nice addition, I guess we will have to wait and see if that feature gets added.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:50 pm

mike_ekim wrote:
rantanamo wrote:Something I'm not seeing mentioned that has me excited is the ability to stream to Windows 10 or Smartglass. If they are able to go multi-tuner and some kind of cablecard or other future solution, this could make for a nice HTPC situation. Xbox One as the hub streaming to smaller, less powerful PCs running Windows 10 in tablet mode and having all of the streaming apps(which look great, btw) running full screen. Its a round-a-bout way of doing a complete HTPC that does everything, but it and the Xbox One may be the closest we ever get.
Looks like it will stream OTA recordings to WIndows 10 or SmartGlass. Also streaming live TV would be a nice addition, I guess we will have to wait and see if that feature gets added.
It already does that. Was announced with the initial Live TV/tuner announcement.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Ok, so live and recorded TV can be shared. So XBox One gets MCE, and Windows 10 PCs and Android/iOS are the extenders (with SmartGlass).

I wonder, will SmartGlass come to AndroidTV?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:03 pm

mike_ekim wrote:Ok, so live and recorded TV can be shared. So XBox One gets MCE, and Windows 10 PCs and Android/iOS are the extenders (with SmartGlass).

I wonder, will SmartGlass come to AndroidTV?
I doubt it, but with this 'new' Microsoft, who knows. You could always petition them :)

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:18 pm

This is SD's comment on why their tuners don't work. No clue how reliable/true it is, but it's what they said:
nickk wrote:The XBox team wanted a single-tuner USB device. That isn't interesting to us and we think too limiting for customers.

Nick

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:52 pm

So there's still time for SD to convince MS that an ethernet tuner is a good idea nonetheless, and accommodating it means nothing more than letting SD play in the XBox store.f

tarheel

Post by tarheel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Personally I feel Microsoft is right in not supporting cable cards. The future is the app model for these cable conglomerates, Dish's Sling TV, Verizon FIOS app, ATT Uverse app, TWC app etc. No reason to get into the business of supporting the cable cards which were never really supported by cable companies as the cable companies would rather you buy their cheap DVR set top boxes for 15 bucks rather than a 2 dollar cable card. Now for the OTA stuff they can include the local channels that would be missing from these apps. So ultimately you have a scenario where a consumer can now watch any show (cable through the app of your choice and now OTA via the XBox and the XBox app either live or recorded) on any Windows 10 device at anytime, anywhere integrated into the XBox One guide for easier viewing and search ability (which I hope gets an update). All the average consumers needs to do is purchase a relatively cheap computer called the XBox One. Set up is a lot easier than a HTPC build and the average consumer doesn't have to worry about building one. One could argue that WMC is the best media experience, but lets face it the average consumer does not know how to either set it up or use it (as the case with my parents and my in-laws). Now that demographic can easily use and set up a similar experience for a 350 dollar XBox One, a 70 buck tuner, an antenna, and a 110 dollar 2 tb Xbox Harddrive (just announced) and use their existing tablets, smartphones, PC's and laptops as extenders with no hassle other than downloading the smartglass app. I loved my WMC experience but saw the limitations it caused and the learning curve people not tech savy had with it. Also the constant tinkering (which I enjoyed trying to figure out) can sometimes be annoying. All in all I'm looking forward to Microsofts moves and feel that the company has definitely switched gears in turns of listening to consumers.

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:26 pm

tarheel wrote:... a 350 dollar XBox One, a 70 buck tuner, an antenna...
Where OTA is available... A lot of us are in areas where OTA isn't realistic due to geographic concerns and HOA prohibitions against high towers. We'll of course have to use DBS or cable, and if cable, Cablecard for the present. I don't dispute the premise that IPTV is the future, but until it is, pragmatism reigns...
-Alan

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:55 pm

tarheel wrote:Personally I feel Microsoft is right in not supporting cable card.
The thing is, with CableCard is that they already have everything they need running in a proven workspace.
It would not be out of the realms of possibility that they do infact have a third party build an xbox only CableCard tuner box (4 or 6 tuner).

Perhaps they will ultimately offer OTA and CableCard to begin and then in the future an IP decrypt solution. Either way, for any cable fed feed, you'd still have to have a physical external box with dedicated tuner electronics for the COAX to terminate to.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:46 pm

Ed  wrote:This is SD's comment on why their tuners don't work. No clue how reliable/true it is, but it's what they said:
nickk wrote:The XBox team wanted a single-tuner USB device. That isn't interesting to us and we think too limiting for customers.

Nick
If Microsoft was to implement Silicondust's forthcoming app then tuner support might be moot.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:50 pm

mcewinter wrote:
Ed  wrote:This is SD's comment on why their tuners don't work. No clue how reliable/true it is, but it's what they said:

Nick
If Microsoft was to implement Silicondust's forthcoming app then tuner support might be moot.
Microsoft wouldn't need to implement it. SD just has to publish it to the store and not break any guidelines/rules/whatever with it so it gets published. They probably would wait the earliest until Win 10 and universal apps come to the XB1, so they only need 1 app for XB1 and PC.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:53 pm

The app still requires a box with physical tuners right? How would you capture picture from headend without them?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:21 pm

STC wrote:The app still requires a box with physical tuners right? How would you capture picture from headend without them?
App will require either just a NAS or PC to run the backend software/house the recordings; and a network tuner somewhere on the network. The app would be the front-end/control/management/viewing part.

But unlike WMC, it requires an always on internet connection (no guide data or images are stored locally, only 3 hour window to not miss recordings if your net or their servers go down) and has no grid epg. But if that doesn't bother you, should work fine.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Ed  wrote:....and a network tuner somewhere on the network.....
Yes, this is my point. There will always be hardware tuners in the mix. I think though, the more hardware parts that are xbox specific (therefore $licensed$), more viable the complete solution is to MS. Would MS allow the use of a third party DRM scheme or design bespoke PlayReady code? I think the latter.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:38 pm

Ed  wrote:But unlike WMC, it requires an always on internet connection (no guide data or images are stored locally, only 3 hour window to not miss recordings if your net or their servers go down) and has no grid epg. But if that doesn't bother you, should work fine.
Yuk!

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:16 pm

^ The one thing that MS will for certain continue to use for xboxTV is grid guide.