Official: No WMC in Win 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:11 am

richard1980 wrote:I've said it many times, the average computer user has no idea how to actually use a computer. They might be able to author an Office document, or check their email, or browse the web, but they don't know how to truly use the computer. That's why things like Geek Squad exist and are very successful. That's also why smaller computer repair shops stay in business. Those business models are only successful because they do what the average user can't do...things that most of the people here would find trivial.
And which you equate with "using" the computer, which is complete garbage.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:08 pm

No, I equate "can't use the computer" with saying things such as those that I listed in my previous post. I hear statements like those all the time on support calls (both telephone and on-site). I get that not everybody can decipher a BSOD, or chase down malware, or replace faulty hardware, etc., and I wouldn't say that means they don't know how to use the computer. But when somebody calls tech support (or visits a computer repair shop, Geek Squad, etc.) and says things like I listed, I don't consider the person a person that knows how to use the computer.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:13 pm

ruff_hi wrote:At present, there is something amiss with my Win7 install (and / or apps). About 1 in 3 reboots removes all of my gadgets and is also re-arranges my desktop icons. I currently have a second SSD that I have reinstalling win7 on ... but I am finding it difficult (read: find available time) to reload all of the apps that I have added over the years. I was thinking of imaging my current win7 (and all of the apps) to the new SSD and then upgrading that to Win10 ... hoping that the instability would (magically) go away.
Just to an "upgrade" (run the installer from the current windows (i.e. do NOT boot off the media), and reinstall "in place" (google it for more). This is easiest way to repair a sick installation and keep your applications, etc.

cubdukat

Post by cubdukat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:20 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Sinkers21 wrote:How will I be able to continue watching TV on my Dell XPS l702x that came with a TV viewing card. Windows 10 will delete the Media Centre on installation.
Are there any free work-arounds for this???
Yes.

Don't install Windows 10.

No charge.
Actually, there's a third alternative: dual-boot both Win8.x and Win10. That's what I am currently doing. I do the majority of my recording in Win10 using NextPVR, but when I want to record something from, say, HBO, I boot back into Win8.1.

Yes, it's clunky, but until there's a Cablecard-ready PVR for Windows 10, it's a necessary evil.

Although, from what I've read, the Cablecard may very well go the way of the dodo by the end of this year; that is, if the industry would get off its ass and choose a successor like they've been told they have to do...

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:10 pm

DavidinCT wrote:It's true to what I said, if there are still a lot of user of it and people say something through all the channels available these days, there is a possibility it could come back as an option. Even if a true 1% of Windows users (XP MCE, 7 or 8/8.1) user actually use live tv on it (in a global scale, I do believe it is higher, and I cant find the link I read on users as of this year), that is still close to a million or more people. Anyway you look at it, it's still a LOT of users of the product. When People attempt to upgrade to Windows 10, they will see the option that it will be removed, and I think there will be a buzz on it, not something that will change the world but, I bet there is some back lash to it.
So, it's been a week since the initial rollout. What's the social media buzz looking like so far? Have the WMC villagers stormed Microsoft's twitter account with their emoji torches and pitchforks?

offthelows

Post by offthelows » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:53 am

I wonder if it would help if there was an organized effort to upgrade to Win 10, then downgrade back to 7/8 and when the "Why are you going back" dialog box comes up, put "There's no Windows Media Center" in the "tell us more" box. Just not upgrading because WMC is no longer included doesn't get Microsoft's attention, and I assume they put a relatively high priority on reasons people would downgrade from their flagship product, even if given away.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:45 pm

Microsoft's hinted at "replacement" for Media Center is now available for Windows 10. Before you get too excited it is just a DVD player. Which according to Microsoft is all anybody ever used Media Center for.

If you have performed an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 from 7/8 with Media Center you get it for free. Otherwise it costs £11.59. So far it has received two 1-star reviews. This is Microsoft hammering in the nails on Media Center.

Buy it here (if you are insane):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/a ... blggh2j19w
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:16 pm

I upgraded my Surface Pro 2 to Windows 10. I must say, the upgrade was painless and only took about 25 minutes. Windows 10 is great including the new start menu, and the new sidebar on the right side. The only negative of course is no WMC. After you upgrade a survey box appears asking you how the upgrade was and there is a comment box. I suggest everyone that upgrades to Windows 10 mentions the lack of WMC in this comment box.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

ruff_hi

Post by ruff_hi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:46 pm

Anyone see this?

How to install the Discontinued Windows Media Centre on Windows 10

MCEBuddy posted about it on facebook.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:55 pm

HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:21 pm

nevermind they are talking about the very first build of this (10.0.10134.0) and it was VERY buggy and the guide did not work at all.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

1010todorojo

Post by 1010todorojo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:53 pm

Don't know if it will help but perhaps if everyone took the time to send in feedback to Microsoft about bringing back support for WMC using the Windows Feedback app in Windows 10 (click start then type "feedback", then click on "Windows Feedback") perhaps they'll eventually see how important it is to all of us.

Once the Windows Feedback app is open search for media center and click "Upvote" on each media center result you see.

Spread the word and hopefully crowd sourcing this petition will get it supported again.