Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

AtomicCEO

HTPC Specs: Show details

Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

Post by AtomicCEO » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:39 pm

I got the popup message from WMC this morning.

Looks like it's finally over. <pours 40>

AtomicCEO

Post by AtomicCEO » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Surely I'm not the only one who has seen this:

boogmeister1

Post by boogmeister1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:28 pm

I got that this morning too. I'm just glad I recently bought a new smart TV, at least it has a native Netflix app. I figured things like this would start happening as soon as MS announced that WMC was not going to be included in Win10. I'm honestly surprised it took Netflix this long to dump WMC, after all, why should they keep supporting it if MS has given up on it?

Eric

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:09 pm

It wasn't Netflix that supported and dumped this, it was MS. The netflix app was built by Microsoft. But, that said, I'm surprised it took them this long to dump it too; after dumping the Sports Strip and Internet TV plugins 2-3 years ago. I always wondered if they got more support calls about the Netflix plugin or guide data, lol.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:12 pm

haven't used netflix for wmc in years, so many better players with surround sound and higher hd quality, not a huge loss

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:14 pm

hansolo89 wrote:haven't used netflix for WMC in years, so many better players with surround sound and higher hd quality, not a huge loss
And proper Season/Series view, instead of having to scroll through hundreds of episodes :eek:

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Weird - the icon for Netflix was missing from my WMC strip today - guess I won't bother to fix it.

AtomicCEO

Post by AtomicCEO » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:59 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:Weird - the icon for Netflix was missing from my WMC strip today - guess I won't bother to fix it.
Yeah, I saw the message saying it would work until September, but it actually stopped working today. Might be a coincidence, but not one that I need to fix, I guess.

My Nexus Player arrived last night. Perfect Timing.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:03 pm

AtomicCEO wrote:My Nexus Player arrived last night.
Good choice. I suggest you get a 10/100 OTG Ethernet adapter for it, if you haven't already. One with USB ports included too if you want to use it with a Harmony/programmable remote (via FLIRC USB dongle) :)

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Agreed, really enjoying mine!

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:37 pm

hansolo89 wrote:haven't used netflix for WMC in years, so many better players with surround sound and higher hd quality, not a huge loss
While I agree with this, I did find the MC app convenient for playing content for the little one in my family.

Kodi (+HDHomerun) installed on a streaming device is the future...at least in my home.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:22 pm

Ed  wrote:
Good choice. I suggest you get a 10/100 OTG Ethernet adapter for it, if you haven't already. One with USB ports included too if you want to use it with a Harmony/programmable remote (via FLIRC USB dongle) :)
OT but does anyone know if the Nexus player plays Netflix at 24p? I'm trying to find a streamer that does.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:27 pm

STC wrote:
Ed  wrote:
OT but does anyone know if the Nexus player plays Netflix at 24p? I'm trying to find a streamer that does.
Don't believe any of the Android Boxes do by default (I know Kodi can on the SHIELD, but not outside of Kodi; also not sure if can do it on other devices other than the SHIELD).

Edit: Heard this works (it's for Android TV devices only) not sure myself: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... v.hz&hl=en so, possibly?

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:28 am

Since this is a WMC message and not a Netflix message I would assume that it came through a windows update. If the update was uninstalled then Netflix should keep on working. I hope so since this is the only thing we can watch Netflix on. Why is Microsoft murdering WMC bit by bit?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:32 am

elhuevon wrote:Since this is a WMC message and not a Netflix message I would assume that it came through a windows update. If the update was uninstalled then Netflix should keep on working. I hope so since this is the only thing we can watch Netflix on. Why is Microsoft murdering WMC bit by bit?
The Sports Strip and Internet TV plugin got removed via an update from mcupdate, which is how WMC updates the TV guide listings as well. Not through regular Windows Update. So, the only way to prevent it is to kill mcupdate now and never run it again, but then you get no more guide listings.

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:40 am

Oh well, I have my Rokus... But I agree with above, it was a convenience for a casual look to just have it there. For me, it's never quite worked right after the last issue (some JS error), it sometimes just stopped streaming. Between this and the guide missing metadata that makes the Movie Guide mostly useless, about to have an excuse to just hide that whole strip again.
-Alan

colecrew

Post by colecrew » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:22 am

MESSAGE: As of September 15, 2015, Netflix will no longer be available on Windows Media Center. Please visit devices.netflix.com to see the many devices that support Netflix today.

Netflix announced that they will no longer support Windows Media Center (WMC) the day Microsoft launches its latest operating system, Windows 10 (which does not contain Windows Media Center). In a deal that was obviously worked out between the software giant and the number one streaming service; both Netflix and Microsoft have left tens of thousands of users that utalize WMC daily up the creek without a paddle. Netflix representative Kent replied with the reason for Netflix abandonment as: "Alright this message about that Netflix is going to stop working on Windows Media Center is related to the expiration of the Windows Media Center which is actually going to be replaced by Windows DVD"
Windows DVD is in no way a replacement for WMC. In fact, Windows DVD is Microsoft's way of fixing what they broke in windows 8 when they remove DVD playback. It looks like Netflix has been persuaded to assist Microsoft in getting as many people to switch to Windows 10.

[Moderator note: topic merged; search before posting]

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:31 am

Our troubles are over. Who needs a DVR or Netflix when you can play DVDs? Thanks Microsoft. I can't wait to start playing DVDs again, along with everyone else whose been in a coma for 10 years. Now if I could only play 8 track tapes and laser discs on my Win 10 computer...

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:45 am

Yup.... you think the people who note that the only people still using WMC are using it for DVD playback.... should go check out the length of the Guide thread.
-Alan

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:13 am

Fortunately during removal of the GWX malware from my system I created a restore point on the 29th. Netflix still works without the RIP prompt with this restore point so it wasn't introduced earlier and lying dormant. I have blocked MCUpdate.exe from accessing the internet using windows firewall. For once the self sufficiency of living in an area with no guide support has been an advantage. Big Screen EPG will still happily import the guide even with MCUpdate.exe blocked from the internet. I presume this is either a screw you from Microsoft for not upgrading to Windows 10, or else part of their newfound obsession with killing Silverlight.