Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
jbburlison

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jbburlison » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:17 am

GnatGoSplat wrote:Has anyone been able to get this working on a clean install? I tried changing to Google DNS, adding those entries to the hosts file, and using every zipcode reported as working, and can't get past the guide setup on a clean install. Even tried removing and reinstalling Media Center.

There's a post by Elliot239 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 6e8?auth=1, he says it's not possible to get the guide working on a clean install no matter what. Only solution is to copy files from a working old install. My experience seems to indicate he's correct. Anyone else have a different experience?
Only using the google DNS and none of the other maneuvers besides switching zip codes back and forth between cities, my TV setup seemed to hang at seemingly random spots... After re-running the TV setup for the zip code I needed, it finally hung at downloading current guide data, so I just pushed cancel. However, it had downloaded some of the Rovi guide... Then I right-clicked the green button in the taskbar and started an update manually and voila everything worked.

Hope this helps some people....

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:35 am

GnatGoSplat wrote:Has anyone been able to get this working on a clean install? I tried changing to Google DNS, adding those entires to the hosts file, and using every zipcode reported as working, and can't get past the guide setup on a clean install. Even tried removing and reinstalling Media Center.

There's a post by Elliot239 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 6e8?auth=1, he says it's not possible to get the guide working on a clean install no matter what. Only solution is to copy files from a working old install. My experience seems to indicate he's correct. Anyone else have a different experience?
I had to reset WMC, uninstall tuners from device manager and programs to loosen things up a bit. I am using a Ceton Infini4. I have a feeling that the tuner has a mind of it's own (its own bios so to speak) (and it's connection to the CableCard) A general outline of what worked for me is listed below.....

Duh! I never thought of this before. Why didn't I remove the CableCard as part of the teardown. That might be what's hanging you up.

1 mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask
2 Edit Hosts file
3 ipconfig /flushdns
4 Uninstall tuners from device manager.
5 Uninstall tuners from Programs.
6 New drivers for the Ceton tuner
7a WMC Setup - Custom - Tuner and guide setup only using my own zip 48103
7b WMC Setup - Custom - Tuner and guide setup only using different zip 48104
7c WMC Setup - Custom - Tuner and guide setup only using different zip 48197

Mine worked on the 3rd zip, although the plan was to try every zip between here and Detroit.

raynewman

Post by raynewman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:44 am

GnatGoSplat wrote:Has anyone been able to get this working on a clean install? I tried changing to Google DNS, adding those entires to the hosts file, and using every zipcode reported as working, and can't get past the guide setup on a clean install. Even tried removing and reinstalling Media Center.

I have said many times.
I am ONLY doing clean install win7/wmc.
It work on every computer, old or new. AMD or Intel. Every zip code I have tried.
BUT
BUT
ONLY
HDhomeRunPrime
Less than a week ago it would ONLY work with old computers & HDhomeRunPrime
NOW
every computer (from Atom/ion, AMD/Intel single, dual, quad core)
well over 20 computers I have tried new install with.
Ceton tells me it is not their problem.
That is all I can say.
When I get Ceton to work, I will announce. :-)
Ray

Ceton said:
"No Ceton software or hardware has any involvement in the downloading of the program guide. That is 100% handled by Windows Media Center.
If you continue to have trouble with the program guide, our recommendation is that you contact Microsoft, as they both make Windows Media Center and provide the guide servers, so they are better equipped to troubleshoot this issue.
-Ceton Support"

Yet HDhomeRunPrime works EVERY time.
Adding Ceton to a working HDhomeRunPrime computer kills wmc with only "no tuners available" message.
Last edited by raynewman on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Makuna

Post by Makuna » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:49 am

dukeynstewie wrote:Just wanted to share what worked for me step by step:

Make sure to close WMC

A-) Modify Host File

- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
-Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
-Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
-When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
-In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
-Click Open.
-Replace the IP address at the bottom of file with:
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
-Click File > Save to save your changes.

B-) CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD AND ASSIGNMENT (By Wyldwof):

-Close WMC
-Open Task Scheduler - Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks
-In the left tree expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center
-In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)
-Close Task Scheduler

C-DNS FLUSH

-Click Start.
-Select Programs.
-Select Accessories and locate the Command Prompt shortcut.
-Right click the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu.
-Type ipconfig /release in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been released.
-Type ipconfig /renew in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been re-established.
-Type ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt.
-Close the command prompt and reboot computer

Last step is to run "Set Up TV Signal" from the WMC settings menu. After running the set up it should take 3-5 mins for the guide to update. Hope it helps.
didn't work for me. And I tried Zip codes for Seattle, WA and Redmond, WA and neither helped.

raynewman

Post by raynewman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:54 am

Could everyone indicate WHAT brand tuners they are using?
In every reply??
Thanks,
Ray

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:08 am

truly madness, my win 8.1 guide stopped updating with rovi, had to rerun setup

it failed for hours, and after running every command available it went thru

good news all series recordings are working and nbc , abc latenight shows have dates and guestlists, so the fix is there now for new setups
if you have to rerun setup, hope it don't take hours to take

Makuna

Post by Makuna » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:09 am

I think I may have found the problem. I have two tuner cards, I disabled one and followed steps that had not worked before (edit host file, clean dns, mcupdate, reboot) and this time it worked even though I used the same zip code.

You might want to try setup with only one tuner enabled and then enable the other after it starts working.

I have An ATI HD OTA tuner and a AverMedia A180 OTA tuner.
Last edited by Makuna on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeldar

Post by zeldar » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:25 am

I live on a hill in Auburn, Ca. Because I am on the west side of the Sierra slope, I can receive stations from both the San Francisco and Sacramento broadcast areas. Prior to this change, I was able to set my zip code to 94512 (Bird Landing, CA) and get program listings for both areas. This enabled me to record shows from either zone. Now the 94512 zip code is not supported at all and if I choose another zip code close to Bird Landing, I am presented with a choice between the Sacramento and San Francisco areas, I cannot choose both. This has essentially ruined my excellent system. No matter which market I choose, it assumes I can receive all of the channels in the area, which is also not the case. Before, I simply selected the stations in each market that worked well enough to record (since they were all in the channel list) and I was good. The only solutions are (1) Modify the new guide to either allow stations to be manually selected for addition to the guide or (2) Allow selection of multiple viewing markets. Otherwise, I will have to start adding manual recordings for one of the two markets. You might ask, 'Why not just use stations for each network from one market?" Well, the problem is that the CBS station for San Francisco comes in much better than the CBS station in Sacramento. On the other hand, the ABC station in Sacramento comes in whereas the ABC in San Fran mostly does not. Everything was great until today. :thumbdown:

GnatGoSplat

Post by GnatGoSplat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:48 am

Ok, I finally got mine working on the clean install and it only took 3 hours of experimenting, haha.
It was not due to a Ceton or CableCard because I only use an AverTVHD Duet with OTA.
I tried what Elliot239 suggested, copying the mpegX-X.db and folder files into %ProgramData%\Microsoft\eHome from a working old install, then renaming to match the existing files. It didn't work copying from my Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8.1 Pro WMC. However, I have a second Win8.1 Pro WMC setup in my wife's exercise room, a functioning old install with the same AverTVHD Duet card. It was still connecting to Zap2It and guide had ran out on 7/21, although updating the guide would seem to work, it never actually updated. So I tried to fix this one, going through TV setup again, and it worked with no problems and now got the guide from Rovi and good through 8/9. So I copied that machines mpeg3-0.db and folder to my non-working clean install, renamed to mpeg3-1 (since that's what it's named on that one), ran WMC and saw there are Guide options in the settings now. So I did a Get Latest Guide and it updated successfully, and the About showed connected to Rovi with guide data through 8/9. Live TV didn't work, said there were no tuners, but I went through Setup TV Signal again. Oddly enough, the initial guide setup download still fails! However, skipping it and going through the rest of it got my tuners working. I now have working guide on Rovi and it updates fine. Guide setup still fails, but I can't imagine needing to do that regularly.

Mine probably had nothing to do with DNS, hosts, or bad zipcode because my wife's WMC setup updated to Rovi with no problems just going through Setup TV Signal.
Last edited by GnatGoSplat on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Makuna

Post by Makuna » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:48 am

zeldar wrote:I live on a hill in Auburn, Ca. Because I am on the west side of the Sierra slope, I can receive stations from both the San Francisco and Sacramento broadcast areas. Prior to this change, I was able to set my zip code to 94512 (Bird Landing, CA) and get program listings for both areas. This enabled me to record shows from either zone. Now the 94512 zip code is not supported at all and if I choose another zip code close to Bird Landing, I am presented with a choice between the Sacramento and San Francisco areas, I cannot choose both. This has essentially ruined my excellent system. No matter which market I choose, it assumes I can receive all of the channels in the area, which is also not the case. Before, I simply selected the stations in each market that worked well enough to record (since they were all in the channel list) and I was good. The only solutions are (1) Modify the new guide to either allow stations to be manually selected for addition to the guide or (2) Allow selection of multiple viewing markets. Otherwise, I will have to start adding manual recordings for one of the two markets. You might ask, 'Why not just use stations for each network from one market?" Well, the problem is that the CBS station for San Francisco comes in much better than the CBS station in Sacramento. On the other hand, the ABC station in Sacramento comes in whereas the ABC in San Fran mostly does not. Everything was great until today. :thumbdown:
I would definitely goto the ms site mentioned above and list this. For me, previously I selected the Seattle OTA, but once I finally got it work (hour ago) the Seattle OTA was missing channels, but I noticed one labeled Seattle-Tacoma (about 70 miles apart from each other) and picked it, this brought in all the channels. Maybe with a poke they may provide something similar for your area.

sparkinstx

Post by sparkinstx » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:02 am

jbburlison wrote:After much frustration I was finally able to get the Rovi guide for Nashville Comcast (37209). Changing to a static DNS is what seemed to do the trick for my situation....

I was wondering if people are leaving the DNS static or going back to obtain DNS server automatically?

Thanks for your help!
I'm behind a WS2012R2 Essentials server, and using its DNS. The thing is, one of my Media Centers updated just fine (I just ran Set Up TV Signal, and changed the ZIP code), but the other won't. Very weird. I've tried searching the registry for clues, and even replaced the ehome directory on the broken PC with the one from the working one (that hosed WMC, so I reverted back to the original).

jfhrobinson

Post by jfhrobinson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:04 am

SUCCESS!! - After 2 days of reading every blog post I could find on this topic and a lot of trials, here’s what got me past the “Download Failure” and got the EPG back to my beloved WMC. Thanks to so many who contributed the bits and pieces…

1. Copy/Edit the HOSTS file: Win7 made me reboot in safe mode to copy HOSTS file located in C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/ETC and paste it to the desktop. After successful paste, delete the original. Edit the pasted file with Notepad and added the following to the bottom of the file:
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsfot.com
72.246.56.69 cdn.epg.tvdownload.mircrosoft.com
127.0.0.1 images-eds.xboxlive.com
::1 images-eds.xboxlive.com
127.0.0.1 images.windowsmedia.com
::1 images.windowsmedia.com
Copy and paste the revised file from Desktop to the original C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ETC directory.

2. Reboot Win7 in normal mode.

3. Not sure if this step is necessary but it worked for me. I have a WinTV card with dual tuners and one USB tuner. I unplugged the USB tuner.

4. Click Windows Button/Start, type CMD, right click on CMD and Run as Admin, Copy and paste the following into the command window at the prompt: %systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe –MediaCenterRecoveryTask

5. Reboot again and start WMC

6. WMC will report a serious error has occurred and to run setup again.

7. Select a CUSTOM install, follow prompts and get to the zip code. No Portland Oregon zips had previously worked for me. So I choose a large zip code in Vancouver WA. Setup breezed through. A new message appeared towards the end of Setup asking which OTA area (Portland or Vancouver) should be used. I chose Portland and after install…EPG data was displayed in the guide. About Guide shows ROVI with an end date of 8/9/2015.

I hope this works for many others. This has been so frustrating and Microsoft should be very ashamed of how they are handling this issue. I sort of gave up hope and manually entered my nightly news series. Worth the effort.

Good luck!

ipaqman

Post by ipaqman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:13 am

I have an HP Windows Vista SP2 media center (32 bit) PC with two tuner cards. It has been running since 2008 with upgrades here and there.

Suddenly, I noted that on Sunday I had no guide content. I googled this issue and noted the Zap2it to Rovi changeover.

My two laptops with the USB Hauppage tuner handled the switchover fine. They are Windows 7.

I tried most of the suggestions I found via Google. DNS, resetup tv tuners, try other zipcodes.

Then I visited here and noted the Vista success with TVPack 2008. I found the downloads via Google and installed them. I was forced to setup the tv tuners again but after it was all done, I had guide content via Rovi for my original zipcode.

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:14 am

zeldar wrote:I live on a hill in Auburn, Ca. ...I was able to set my zip code to 94512 (Bird Landing, CA) and get program listings for both areas.
See my post on page 55 of this thread. I also live between two markets and had the same issue. I have it resolved now. Also note that you will need to run a channel scan immediately after setup, to find the stations that WMC does not configure from the guide data. Run the channel scan before using the Guide Tool.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:38 am

Denman108 wrote:Hi everyone!

I am having a similar problem that I'm pretty sure is due to this "cutover". I live in the Chicagoland area, zip code 60162. Last night (7/26/15) the guide ran out at 7pm. All channels from then on read "No data available". So I tried manually downloading the guide and that seemed to complete without any errors. But when I go to the guide, all channels read: "No data available". When I go into the "About Guide listings" it says Start Date:7/12/2015 End Date 8/7/2015 (Zap2it).

I've tried a few things this posted on thread like disabling WMC and deleting the ehome folder, rebooting and then setting up WMC again from the start but that didn't fix it. Whats weird is since it has all the channels back (not just the ones I watch) there are 3 channels that still have program data: 24.1 WPVNCD, 25.1 W25DWD, and 57.1 WDCILD. I don't watch any of those channels though.

I also tried using the guide tool posted earlier but for some reason won't start on my HTPC.

My problem seems to be a little different then what I've been reading because my PC downloads the data but still show "No data available" for most channels.

Please help!

My HTPC setup:
Vista SP2 32-bit with tv pack
Hauppauge HVR-1800
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
3.00GB RAM
I'm in the Chicagoland area & ran the TV Signal setup & used 60561 ZIP code & it worked for OTA channels.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:47 am

my main htpc got series recordings fix with better descriptions, No more manual recordings!!! thanks MS/Rovi, just need to add ratings back

rcrach

Post by rcrach » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:52 am

sparkinstx wrote:Microsoft completely dropped the ball here. I know they've basically given up on WMC, and for Windows 10, they don't even support playing .wtv files in Windows Media Player (I had to install VLC to get that capability, even in Build 10240). Thanks for treating us like the poor stepchildren, Microsoft.
It's all about licensing fees. The .wtv format is a wrapper for the AV files which are Mpeg encoded (decoder license fee), the native ability to play DVD's is gone because of the Mpeg decoder fee's. if the Xbox One, OneGuide didn't use Rovi data already they wouldn't be doing this for WMC because of guide license fee's. I'd be willing to bet that they even have to pay Tivo licensing fee's because some of the media center features are probably covered by Tivo patents. I think it's great that they going as far as they are now for the media center guide. There may be 7000 members on this forum and possibly a few thousand more using media center but that's not even a blip on a blip on their radar. Those license fee's had to be paid on "every" copy of windows they shipped whether the feature was used or not.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:55 am

zeldar wrote:I live on a hill in Auburn, Ca. Because I am on the west side of the Sierra slope, I can receive stations from both the San Francisco and Sacramento broadcast areas. Prior to this change, I was able to set my zip code to 94512 (Bird Landing, CA) and get program listings for both areas. This enabled me to record shows from either zone. Now the 94512 zip code is not supported at all and if I choose another zip code close to Bird Landing, I am presented with a choice between the Sacramento and San Francisco areas, I cannot choose both. This has essentially ruined my excellent system. No matter which market I choose, it assumes I can receive all of the channels in the area, which is also not the case. Before, I simply selected the stations in each market that worked well enough to record (since they were all in the channel list) and I was good. The only solutions are (1) Modify the new guide to either allow stations to be manually selected for addition to the guide or (2) Allow selection of multiple viewing markets. Otherwise, I will have to start adding manual recordings for one of the two markets. You might ask, 'Why not just use stations for each network from one market?" Well, the problem is that the CBS station for San Francisco comes in much better than the CBS station in Sacramento. On the other hand, the ABC station in Sacramento comes in whereas the ABC in San Fran mostly does not. Everything was great until today. :thumbdown:
maybe this hack can help? but seems complicated

https://pnear.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/ ... ia-center/

PhoebeAnn

Post by PhoebeAnn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:15 am

jbburlison wrote: I was wondering if people are leaving the DNS static or going back to obtain DNS server automatically?
I was succesful getting data for the Florida Tampa Bay area using Bright House's default DNS servers. Unfortunately, I need both Tampa and Orlando and some other remote areas as well, so I'm going to try the WMC auto scan next and hope nothing else breaks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:42 am

raynewman wrote:Could everyone indicate WHAT brand tuners they are using?
In every reply??
Thanks,
Ray
For those of you that are new here, a quick and easy way to add your tuners is by editing your profile by:

clicking>>> UserControlPanel/EditSignature

All your previous and future posts will be updated automatically with your tuner list.
Attachments
SignatureEdit.JPG