XBOX 360 laggy guide all of a sudden

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
soapdishbandit

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by soapdishbandit » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:56 pm

joeer77 wrote:I run 2 Xbox 360 extenders in my house using a Ceton InfitiTV4 in my HTPC. One Xbox is wired and the other is wireless. The wireless xbox has become extremely laggy in the last 1-2 weeks when browsing the WMC TV guide. Before they were both crisp in their response. Now it is almost unusable. I thought it was the HTPC hard drive or Windows issue. I swapped the hard drive and re-installed Windows 7 on my HTPC. I still have the extreme lag on the wireless xbox. Wired is ok. We need a fix either from Microsoft of someone with some programming skills. This guide change really sucks if that is really the root cause.
My 2 360 extenders are wired, and both have become laggy. :(

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:41 am

From the SiliconDust thread where signcarver noticed that the guide sped up by disconnecting from the internet, I may have found a solution:

Wireshark shows the images are being fetched from images-eds.xboxlive.com.

Adding a

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1	images-eds.xboxlive.com
entry to the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file prevents them from being fetched. Will try redoing TV setup to clear the images that have already been cached when I get a chance.

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... 72&t=21415

KevinRush

Post by KevinRush » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:24 am

I am experiencing the lag on the guide on my Xbox 360 extenders too.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:45 pm

soapdishbandit wrote:
joeer77 wrote:I run 2 Xbox 360 extenders in my house using a Ceton InfitiTV4 in my HTPC. One Xbox is wired and the other is wireless. The wireless xbox has become extremely laggy in the last 1-2 weeks when browsing the WMC TV guide. Before they were both crisp in their response. Now it is almost unusable. I thought it was the HTPC hard drive or Windows issue. I swapped the hard drive and re-installed Windows 7 on my HTPC. I still have the extreme lag on the wireless xbox. Wired is ok. We need a fix either from Microsoft of someone with some programming skills. This guide change really sucks if that is really the root cause.
I tested my wired Xbox again last night. It is laggy as well but not as severe as the wireless Xbox. HTPC guide navigation is smooth and crisp. Has anyone tried glugglug's suggestion yet? I have not had time.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:04 am

joeer77 wrote:
soapdishbandit wrote:
I tested my wired Xbox again last night. It is laggy as well but not as severe as the wireless Xbox. HTPC guide navigation is smooth and crisp. Has anyone tried glugglug's suggestion yet? I have not had time.
Haven't tried anything yet. What about contacting Rovi?

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:17 am

SUCCESS!

I found one other domain name used for some images, images.windowsmedia.com.

Adding both of these to the hosts sped things up on the extenders.

Added these lines to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts:

::1   images-eds.xboxlive.com
127.0.0.1  images.windowsmedia.com
::1  images.windowsmedia.com
The images-eds.xboxlive.com entries (and redoing TV setup) got rid of most of the show images.
The images.windowsmedia.com entries got rid of almost all the others (there are a couple that seem to have stayed cached through TV setup, or maybe they are downloaded with the guide itself?)

I suspect the slow ones are all from images-eds.xboxlive.com, as the images.windowsmedia.com images that I captured are all 267x200.

TYLSidge

Post by TYLSidge » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:56 pm

Updating the hosts file as suggested by @glugglug resolved the laggy guide issue for me. However, it appears to me that the guide is no longer updating. I wonder... if the images are being cached, if the problem will eventually resolve itself? That said, if we can figure-out how and where the images are cached, it might be a lot faster to insert a blank image into the cache

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:24 am

Tried changing hosts file. Not working for me. Still getting lag as guide has to download the image for each channel. Maybe I edited the file wrong? I added # at beginning of each line entry. Is that right?

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:15 am

Everything after the # on each line is a comment (has no effect).
You have to put the lines without #'s.

Once the host entries are added, redoing TV setup gets rid of most of the images that have already been cached.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:39 am

glugglug wrote:Everything after the # on each line is a comment (has no effect).

Once the host entries are added, redoing TV setup gets rid of most of the images that have already been cached.
Thanks glugglug! I got it working now. The lag is much better now, but still not perfect. Some of the channels are still downloading a image as you said earlier.

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:36 am

glugglug wrote:SUCCESS!

I found one other domain name used for some images, images.windowsmedia.com.

Adding both of these to the hosts sped things up on the extenders.

Added these lines to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts:

::1   images-eds.xboxlive.com
127.0.0.1  images.windowsmedia.com
::1  images.windowsmedia.com
The images-eds.xboxlive.com entries (and redoing TV setup) got rid of most of the show images.
The images.windowsmedia.com entries got rid of almost all the others (there are a couple that seem to have stayed cached through TV setup, or maybe they are downloaded with the guide itself?)

I suspect the slow ones are all from images-eds.xboxlive.com, as the images.windowsmedia.com images that I captured are all 267x200.
Thanks glug!

I added the above to my host file and did not re-do TV setup, and it eliminated most of the images. Scrolling through the guide is much better, but still hangs sometimes When I have more time, I may redo TV setup. However, I could live with it the way it is now.

@TYLSidge: I went through 'Get latest guide listings' and it did update one more day. We'll see if it auto updates.

BiscoMaloney

Post by BiscoMaloney » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:21 am

I used gluglug's fix and re-ran setup and its working for me now. Thanks for the fix! Its been a frustrating couple of weeks and I almost called Comcast to get a box in surrender.

TYLSidge

Post by TYLSidge » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Chiming in to say that the guide is updating fine now. Perhaps there was an coincidental issue

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:09 pm

TYLSidge wrote:Chiming in to say that the guide is updating fine now. Perhaps there was an coincidental issue
When did it get smooth again? Did you run the suggestions or is it just back to normal? Thanks!

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:22 pm

glugglug wrote:Everything after the # on each line is a comment (has no effect).

Just copy and paste underneath, right?

I didn't re-run the setup and a few images are popping up (all cached stuff), and it does stall during those channels/shows. If I re-run the setup, will I lose all the channel editing I've done (like getting rid of my SD channels, removing spanish channels from guide, etc...)? That took some time to do!!! Also, all of my music choice channels were all off by 1 number, so I had to manually move them, will I have to do that again? :x

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:53 am

soapdishbandit wrote:

Just copy and paste underneath, right?

I didn't re-run the setup and a few images are popping up (all cached stuff), and it does stall during those channels/shows. If I re-run the setup, will I lose all the channel editing I've done (like getting rid of my SD channels, removing spanish channels from guide, etc...)? That took some time to do!!! Also, all of my music choice channels were all off by 1 number, so I had to manually move them, will I have to do that again? :x
Yes, just copy and paste underneath the last line.

Yes, if you re-run setup you will have to edit channels again. That's why I have not done that yet. However just pasting the four lines above in the 'hosts' file sped up scrolling through the guide on xbox enough that I'll wait till I have more time to re-run TV set-up.

TYLSidge

Post by TYLSidge » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:44 pm

When did it get smooth again?
Saturday morning (7/25/2015) I added those lines back to the hosts file. Guide download worked fine.
Did you run the suggestions or is it just back to normal?
I did run set-up. Without the host file changes, I was able to do the complete set-up without issue. With the host file changes, the set-up procedure would fail to download new set-up information (which I believe is just to select which cable system I'm using). However, it just uses the selection from the previous set-up and moves on to scan the channels... which all worked fine. Running set-up did NOT clear the previously cached images so I still get some guide lag for certain programs that have the cached images. However, its not a big deal as the vast majority of programming doesn't have cached images.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:37 am

soapdishbandit wrote: If I re-run the setup, will I lose all the channel editing I've done (like getting rid of my SD channels, removing spanish channels from guide, etc...)? That took some time to do!!! Also, all of my music choice channels were all off by 1 number, so I had to manually move them, will I have to do that again? :x
Maybe, but if you run a backup with GuideTool first, it will only take 2 seconds to restore your edits. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 890#p92890

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:55 pm

Looking at some of the guide images captured on my other WMC machine without the host entry, at first I thought the images-eds.xboxlive.com ones were all 1600x1200. But actually they are pretty variable, especially for movies and cop shows. Some of them are much worse than that.

For example, why do we have 3000x2240 images (6.72 MP!) for displaying in the corner when a show is selected in the guide? The cop shows seem to have standardized on this!

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:04 am

BTW, I figured out where the cached images are stored..... they are ending up in the Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 folder like Internet Exploder cache -- clearing IE cache will get rid of the images for the current user. So to get rid of the small fraction that don't expire from cache quickly, the trick would be to clear the Internet Explorer cache for extender users. Anyone know of an easy way to do that?