Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:21 pm

You didn't run mcupdate.

rbh_iii

Post by rbh_iii » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:29 pm

oops...forgot to list that one... ran it with mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc

methane

Post by methane » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:40 pm

I've been lurking on this thread for about a week and gotten lots of useful info from it.

Just to let you know my experience, I'm OTA in the Raleigh, NC market (using zip 27617). I submitted an issue to the MS site on Monday or Tuesday about some missing guide data. I also sent a detailed description of my issue to the Rovi IPG support e-mail address. This morning all of my guide data is correct.

I can't speak to anything regarding recurring recordings working or not, but guide data is fine.

I know this will be frustrating for those of you who are still having issues, but I hope it's one more vote for "they are working on these issues."

raynewman

Post by raynewman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:49 pm

rbh_iii wrote:Well guys a sad and very frustrating day. Purchased HDHomerun connect and upgraded my windows 8.1 standard to 8.1 pro to get the media center, exactly 29 day ago.
Installed media center, ran tv setup and then setup my tv series recording stuff. Everything worked great, until this morning when the guide data ran out.
I have tried everything listed in this thread(Re-run tv setup, reset MC to defaults, updated host file, make sure DNS is google, turned off firewall, disabled malwarebytes and even uninstall MC feature and reinstalled)...any ideas on how to get this thing working again?
I have looked at the first run log file, it had this(Download result for package 'EpgLineups': Failed).

Also I have a laptop running Windows 7 pro, decided to setup MC on it and see if it would work.
Works great, guide updated to Rovi and all channels were correct for zip code 30277.
No hosts file changes were needed and this computer also uses google DNS and is on the same network the Windows 8.1 pro is on.

Starting to think I should contact Microcenter and see if the HDHomerun falls under the 14 day return policy or 30 day return policy
and also see if I can find a way to contact Microsoft about removing this windows 8.1 pro upgrade, since it is not needed if MC is not going to work...but I would really like to get it all back working again.
Your experience mirrors my experience.
It seems that older CPU/motherboard work fine (downloaded setup guide data). Newer CPU/motherboards, IF WMC already running before 7/7/15 continue to work but guide info & schedules are messed up.
Newer cpu/mother board when doing brand new win7/wmc install NEVER download setup guide/zipcode data. NEVER.
BUT
older cpu/motherboard computers, doing brand new win7/wmc install, ALWAYS download setup guide/zipcode data.

Same cable TV server TWC
same router (netgear R7000)
same lan network
SAME zipcode (14225)

Having said that the guide/schedule series recording of Rovi data is a mess, big mess.
BUT at least I can see some guide info and click on record for viewing later.
Some series record works but can't count on it.

Yes, I have tried EVERY suggestion put forth by many, thank you!
I am now up to 9 win7 computers tested.

Ray

wacool4

Post by wacool4 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:04 pm

How do you tell if you have switched to Rovi or not? Other than guide listing now working or not. Do you look in the Guide > About and now it says Powered by Rovi instead of Zap2it? I have Windows 7 64 Pro and all has worked fine until this change over and now no guide data. I have tried many of the troubleshooting tips in this thread and cannot get the guide to download. Except I tried a Houston zip code someone mentioned and that downloaded fine but does not help me living in Illinois.

raynewman

Post by raynewman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:15 pm

Forgot to say same:
Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH
Hdhome Run Prime (2)
Hdhome Run (2007) (2)

Working (b4 7/7/15) new cpu/mother board still has Rovi for cablecard and Zap2it for OTA
New install win7/wmc but on older cpu/mother boards has only Rovi
Ray

raynewman

Post by raynewman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:22 pm

wacool4 wrote:How do you tell if you have switched to Rovi or not? Other than guide listing now working or not. Do you look in the Guide > About and now it says Powered by Rovi instead of Zap2it? I have Windows 7 64 Pro and all has worked fine until this change over and now no guide data. I have tried many of the troubleshooting tips in this thread and cannot get the guide to download. Except I tried a Houston zip code someone mentioned and that downloaded fine but does not help me living in Illinois.
I am afraid to re-format/install win7/wmc on still, somewhat working, new cpu/motherboard computer.
I would guess it will not download making it useless.

In the process freeing up old computers to us ONLY with wmc/cable card tuners.

Easy to use a new hard drive to test but now need to swap computers.
MANY programs to install.
I want to make sure I have at least two working win7/wmc cabletv computers. :-)
Ray

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:26 pm

what are the correct ipaddresses for cdn and data tvdownload.microsoft.com???

darekd

Post by darekd » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm in Roanoke VA (Cox) and since switching to Rovi I've been having all kids of recording problems. The worst one is not recording repeating shows like local news. Also, I notice yesterday the same problems for Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption one ESPN. They all will not record because of another instance being recorded.

WaltWJ

Post by WaltWJ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:35 pm

raynewman wrote: Your experience mirrors my experience.
It seems that older CPU/motherboard work fine (downloaded setup guide data). Newer CPU/motherboards, IF WMC already running before 7/7/15 continue to work but guide info & schedules are messed up.
Newer cpu/mother board when doing brand new win7/WMC install NEVER download setup guide/zipcode data. NEVER.
BUT
older cpu/motherboard computers, doing brand new win7/WMC install, ALWAYS download setup guide/zipcode data.
Ray
This isn't right.

I've been playing with this for about a week before find this announcement about the guide information. All this time, I thought it was my WMC installation that was causing me problems with recording series. Put that aside.

I think I can help you get WMC to download the initial setup information. I had this same problem. I installed WMC fresh on my computer thinking it was corrupted, and couldn't download the setup information for my zipcode. After trying all sorts of things like changing my host file and my dns, nothing seemed to get it to work. And then I decided to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch again. Installed Win7 and then setup WMC (why do all the windows updates if WMC wasn't going to get setup anyway). I had no problems getting the setup information and setting up my tuners. I scratched my head and just assumed there was some corruption that formatting the hard drive fixed.

Well, i wasn't done messing with my HTPC and I wanted to make some other changes, so I reformatted the hard drive again, installed win7, did all of the windows updates and THEN i tried to set up WMC and it failed to download the setup data. There must be some bug introduced in a windows update that breaks this ability to download zipcode data. Try it. Install Win7 prior to the nearly 200 updates it'll try to make you download to get your system up to date, and see if it works. It worked for me.

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:41 pm

rogoued wrote:what are the correct ipaddresses for cdn and data tvdownload.microsoft.com???
I used to have some old values in hosts file - I lost those as I forgot to # save them. Now, I removed them and used 8.8.8.8/8.8.8.4 as my dns and then ipconfif flush and all I get is ping failed on data.tvdownload.microsoft.com (65.55.186.113).

Can someone in the west coast tell me the correct resolved addresses for both cdn and data?

Thanks!

raynewman

Post by raynewman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:44 pm

WaltWJ
I did the same on a few computers.
Even tried only installing service pac 1
I have way too many hard drives, some even ssd.
No help.
old/new cpu/computers is the only repeatable results I find consistent.
tried different hard drives/ssd everything I can think of.
Even tried hotfix 452157
Ray

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:49 pm

rogoued wrote:
rogoued wrote:what are the correct ipaddresses for cdn and data tvdownload.microsoft.com???
I used to have some old values in hosts file - I lost those as I forgot to # save them. Now, I removed them and used 8.8.8.8/8.8.8.4 as my dns and then ipconfif flush and all I get is ping failed on data.tvdownload.microsoft.com (65.55.186.113).

Can someone in the west coast tell me the correct resolved addresses for both cdn and data?

Thanks!
The MS servers don't respond to ICMP/ping. It's not a useful test for connectability. I've had no troubles using public DNS (opennic or opendns) for several weeks. Currently I resolve from SEA to:
data - 65.55.186.115
cdn.epg - 184.25.56.52 & x.x.x.44

I would suggest you not force an IP anymore unless you absolutely know you need to.
Last edited by glorp on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raynewman

Post by raynewman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:52 pm

I do not want to say AMD only works because while two computers with AMD quad core worked, AMD A6-5400K Trinity Dual-Core computer did not work.
:-)
Ray

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:01 pm

I have had to use a modified HOSTS file since last year. Guess Comcast DNS in Stockton CA is just no good... But the IPs I was using did not give me Rovi update, so I changed them to this and instantly got the update:

65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

mpfountz

Post by mpfountz » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:03 pm

I still cannot get my windows 8.1 media center to reconfigure using any Charlotte zip codes. I have started a case with Microsoft since I believe this is there issue (although I may be wrong). I'll post the results shortly.

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:04 pm

glorp wrote:
rogoued wrote:

Thanks!
The MS servers don't respond to ICMP/ping. It's not a useful test for connectability. I've had no troubles using public DNS (opennic or opendns) for several weeks. Currently I resolve from SEA to:
data - 65.55.186.115
cdn.epg - 184.25.56.52 & x.x.x.44

I would suggest you not force an IP anymore unless you absolutely know you need to.
Ok, well then I am hosed - I have NADA in my hosts file and I resolve to 65.55.186.113 still, and I cannot get anything to download from Rovi, Zap2 is all I get. I fear that the only alternative is to destroy WMC and retry setup from there, but that will suck hard!

WaltWJ

Post by WaltWJ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:07 pm

raynewman wrote:WaltWJ
I did the same on a few computers.
Even tried only installing service pac 1
I have way too many hard drives, some even ssd.
No help.
old/new cpu/computers is the only repeatable results I find consistent.
tried different hard drives/ssd everything I can think of.
Even tried hotfix 452157
Ray
Here's what I used,

sx900 ADATA ssd
ASROCK|H81M-ITX H81 motherboard
Intel g3220
win7 sp1 installation CD

Install the updates and it fails. Don't and it can download the data.

raynewman

Post by raynewman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:16 pm

worked everytime:
motherboard: GA-MA74GM-S2
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 processor 2.90ghz
Ram:4gb
Ray

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:18 pm

rogoued wrote: Ok, well then I am hosed - I have NADA in my hosts file and I resolve to 65.55.186.113 still, and I cannot get anything to download from Rovi, Zap2 is all I get. I fear that the only alternative is to destroy WMC and retry setup from there, but that will suck hard!
Based on the ongoing comments here I would guess using a specific IP is not going to switch your data source if it hasn't switched by now. It won't hurt to try the ones I gave you however. I just would not continue to use forced IPs in the long run once you have an EPG.