Guide Data for Manually Added Channels

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
jdsuowner

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Data for Manually Added Channels

Post by jdsuowner » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:46 pm

I manually added a few channels since they were not automatically detected on the TV Tuner Setup, and I can view them fine and signal is fine but how can I get these added channels to have their channel data shown in the guide? All my automatic detected channels are in the guide and have info but manual ones I added say No Information Available. Any ideas? Thanks...

glorp

Post by glorp » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Right click on them in Guide. Choose Edit Channel > Edit Listings. Assign to the correct channel.

jdsuowner

Post by jdsuowner » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Problem is, there is no correct channel that the guide knows about. They weren't found on the channel scan.

glorp

Post by glorp » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:05 am

It should be there in the guide if you've got the correct guide for your area. You'd have to find the listing when assigning in Editing Listing by call sign/description rather than by channel number.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:11 am

you can try and download guidetool and then subscribe to other listings in the tool for you region, it has worked for me

CXK

Post by CXK » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:49 am

hansolo89 wrote:you can try and download guidetool and then subscribe to other listings in the tool for you region, it has worked for me
I'm having this same issue. I tried what you suggested, it works but the guide data for those channels is only available maybe 2 days out and then its "No Data Available". Is there a trick to using that program? Do you have to donate for it to unlock more guide data?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:56 pm

CXK wrote: I tried what you suggested, it works but the guide data for those channels is only available maybe 2 days out and then its "No Data Available". Is there a trick to using that program? Do you have to donate for it to unlock more guide data?
It seems to be hit or miss. Others have reported data only for a few days, for me, it works fine.

Some say the extra added data is coming from zap2it, which accounts for the short duration of the data.

Try picking a different lineup form which you got the data. Maybe it will be a Rovi lineup instead of zap2it.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 pm

Everyone has been moved over to ROVI (most users but, left over others will)

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=8903

Your only seeing a few days because it's on the left over from Zap2it on your machine, as the service is no longer being used and you cant download from Zap2it any more. Re-running setup fixed this issue for a lot of people.

If your missing guide data, maybe try a different provider in TV setup that is in your area ? Like a different cable company or so ?

To note, if you look over the guide reports on the Connect your not the only one with this type of issue FAR FROM IT, there are a LOT of users running into missing guide data for areas.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

CXK

Post by CXK » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:02 pm

When I set up the TV signal again it just doesnt include several channels. My antenna can pick them up if I add them manually but I can't seem to get the guide data for those 4 channels.

I'm not exactly sure how to change which guide data provider I use. Can anyone point me in the right direction? When I use guide tool I choose the Digital Terrestrial line up, I'm not sure if thats where I change the provider.

Edit: Is it possible I'm not getting the new guide data because I dont and havent had any Windows updates in...years? lol. I used to allow it to update but this computer does nothing but sit in a closet and record TV. I used to update it but it crapped out after an update and I had to spend 2 hours in my closet reformatting and setting everything up again.

MikeDupp

Post by MikeDupp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:36 am

CXK wrote:I'm not exactly sure how to change which guide data provider I use. Can anyone point me in the right direction? When I use guide tool I choose the Digital Terrestrial line up, I'm not sure if that's where I change the provider.
You can use any lineup that has the channel you are looking to add listed in it. I am OTA and I used both OTA antenna and Digital terrestrial to start. Neither worked so I tried an apartment complex' SD Comcast lineup and a regular Comcast digital lineup for my town. Both worked fine and got me 14 days worth of data.

This was my first time using Guide Tool and it was a bit confusing trying to figure out the correct order to do things. Here's my workflow for fixing the problem:

Manually add all your missing channels in WMC. Close WMC.
Start Guide Tool, click OK on the localhost dialog. Let WMC start. Minimize WMC.
Go back to Guide Tool and subscribe the newly added channels to new lineups. It's ok to mix and match lineups.
After you subscribe all of your manually added channels,close Guide Tool and maximize WMC again. Get latest Guide listings. Wait for notification that download is complete.
Close WMC, then restart it. Guide data should now be current.

HTH

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:18 pm

You'll have to experiment with guidetool and pick a lineup that isnt zap2it based.

You can go into About The Guide and see if you're Rovi or zap2it based. There will be multiple pages so you have to scroll through them all to see if any are coming from zap2it. If so, pick a different lineup to steal that guide listing from and see if it fixes things. Keep trying different lineups until everything says Rovi.

CXK

Post by CXK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:36 pm

MikeDupp wrote:
CXK wrote:I'm not exactly sure how to change which guide data provider I use. Can anyone point me in the right direction? When I use guide tool I choose the Digital Terrestrial line up, I'm not sure if that's where I change the provider.
You can use any lineup that has the channel you are looking to add listed in it. I am OTA and I used both OTA antenna and Digital terrestrial to start. Neither worked so I tried an apartment complex' SD Comcast lineup and a regular Comcast digital lineup for my town. Both worked fine and got me 14 days worth of data.

This was my first time using Guide Tool and it was a bit confusing trying to figure out the correct order to do things. Here's my workflow for fixing the problem:

Manually add all your missing channels in WMC. Close WMC.
Start Guide Tool, click OK on the localhost dialog. Let WMC start. Minimize WMC.
Go back to Guide Tool and subscribe the newly added channels to new lineups. It's ok to mix and match lineups.
After you subscribe all of your manually added channels,close Guide Tool and maximize WMC again. Get latest Guide listings. Wait for notification that download is complete.
Close WMC, then restart it. Guide data should now be current.

HTH
I didn't realize you could use different line ups! That fixed my problem. Thanks!