XBOX 360 laggy guide all of a sudden

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
soapdishbandit

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX 360 laggy guide all of a sudden

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Hello,

I've been using the 2 360 extenders for a few years and they have worked great. In the last day or two, the guide started chugging and lagging whenever I input something on my remote (sometimes 1-2 seconds before responding to my input commands). Also, with TV going on and the guide on (with 2 listing on bottom), browsing channels on the guide would sort of glitch my screen. This is happening on both of my 360 extenders. Haven't tried my echo but I assume it is the same. Any suggestions? Nothing new has changed on my setup and/or network and WMC on my main PC is running fine. Things I've tried thus far:

-reset router
-unpair/repair 360 extenders to WMC
-reboot main pc

Anything I am missing? Thanks!

Here are my specs:

i5 2500k stable OC'd @ 4.0 Ghz
16GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
250GB SSD
3 TB WD HDD SATA III(where my recorded TV is directed to)
Ceton InfiniTV 6 Pci-E
Intel Gigabit on-board NIC
Netgear WNDR 3700 v3 w/gigabit Ethernet
2 Ethernet connected Xbox 360's

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:40 pm

OK,

So now many of my channels are stuttering, and I am getting digital artifacts galore! Here are my stats:

signal level: -3.3 dBmV

Signal to noise: 38.3 dB

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:43 pm

Could it be my network? I just ran a speedtest and got 112 mb/s down and 12 mb/s up, but when I ran the test the video on my extender AND on my WMC instance running stopped. It is currently running really choppy.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Your hard drive may be starting to fail. Try a different storage location or with a flash drive if possible.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:10 pm

cwinfield wrote:Your hard drive may be starting to fail. Try a different storage location or with a flash drive if possible.
I thought that might be the case too, but nope. Just did a check of all 3 (1 SSD, 1 3TB HD, and 1 3TB external). My Recorded TV is setup for the 3TB HD internal SATA 3. There are 500GB free.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:11 pm

So now, the pixelation was so bad, it kicked me off WMC on my Xbox and back to the main screen???

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:12 pm

OK, so it is DEFINITELY network related. Every time I do a speedtest.net check, the picture/sound completely stops. Network Card, or router?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:05 pm

Any recent additions to your network? Did you make any other changes to the router settings, update the firmware. Same with the NIC, any recent driver changes? do you have a switch that you can test your network on or a different router?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:09 pm

soapdishbandit wrote:OK, so it is DEFINITELY network related. Every time I do a speedtest.net check, the picture/sound completely stops. Network Card, or router?
So when your doing a speedtest it causes your network to grind to a halt. I would suspect the router, are you using a firewall and have the ports forwarded for xbox extender? Sometime antivirus causes issues as well.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:32 pm

cwinfield wrote:
soapdishbandit wrote:OK, so it is DEFINITELY network related. Every time I do a speedtest.net check, the picture/sound completely stops. Network Card, or router?
So when your doing a speedtest it causes your network to grind to a halt. I would suspect the router, are you using a firewall and have the ports forwarded for xbox extender? Sometime antivirus causes issues as well.
Yeah, it grinds down to nothing. Even opening up chrome causes a chop to happen, this is weird. I'm basically troubleshooting now. Never had this problem before.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:28 pm

UPDATE:

So, I added a cable booster to the main line and got ride of any problems with programming. Also, now I can run speedtest.net AND it isn't effecting my network stream (via Xbox 360 extender OR on my Main PC WMC). Getting 126 Mb/s down and 12 up. But I am still getting the laggy guide, occasionally. Also, I notice when browsing channels on the guide with a tv program running, I will get a slight stutter in the video (never used to do that).

Also, I bought an Intel Gigabit Pci-E NIC and installed it (thought my onboard mobo NIC might be dying). No improvements. Thoughts? Thanks!

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:25 am

I've also noticed my guide on my four Xbox 360 extenders not being as receptive or fast when using the remote. I used to be able to use the up/down arrows and scroll very quickly, now is it hangs or sticks and then jumps to catch up. I also have two HTPC's where the guide is NOT laggy using a mouse, keyboard, or remote. It's only on the extenders.

I just occurred to me this started last week around the same time as Microsoft change EPG providers. So maybe switching from Zap2it to Rovi somehow made the IR receivers not work as well in the Xbox's?

I've been following this thread below, but have not seen anyone else mention this. Maybe I'll post over there to see if anyone else is experiencing this also.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =13&t=8903

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:34 am

Same thing since switching to the new Guide provide accessing the guide from the Xbox is noticeably slower.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:54 am

is it a new setup?

maybe a file got too huge in folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome that is slowing things down?

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:03 pm

hansolo89 wrote:is it a new setup?

maybe a file got too huge in folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome that is slowing things down?
Not a new setup and I don't think a file got too big. My eHome folder is 112Mb. Is that the norm?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Willing to bet that it is the EPG changeover that occurred. It brought back channels that I had previously disabled and has caused some scheduled recording problems. Have you tried disabling any of the channels that you don't use in the guide. Also you could try to run the optimization on the WMC extenders.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:15 pm

cwinfield wrote:Willing to bet that it is the EPG changeover that occurred. It brought back channels that I had previously disabled and has caused some scheduled recording problems. Have you tried disabling any of the channels that you don't use in the guide. Also you could try to run the optimization on the WMC extenders.
Yeah, the timing is probably more than coincidence. I had a few channels brought back and had to re-edit my channel line-up just a tad. I ran the network optimizer option, if that's what you are talking about? I get full bars (ethernet and powerline to the 2nd 360 MCE). Anyone have advice on how to fix the laggy guide? I am pulling my hair out! :problem:

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:38 pm

I haven't found any fix for the laggy guide yet, but there is some plausible explanations for this new behavior in these two threads:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =13&t=8903

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... 72&t=21415

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:18 pm

I emailed Ceton to see if they knew what was going on, this was the response:

Hi Jeremy,
We would not expect a guide change to cause laggy extenders. We would suggest that you try installing the updates below, and if the issue persists, to contact Microsoft for support with their extender.

1. Install Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2679255

*** Upgrade your PCI drivers to the latest Microsoft Windows 7 RTM/SP1 hotfix. ***
The link below discusses a specific scenario, but it contains other fixes as well:

2. KB Article Number(s): 2601456 for Windows 7 SP1.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2601456

3. Finish ALL your Microsoft Windows Updates. There are several important Network and Kernel Hotfixes required.

4. Install Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2746119

5. Install the latest network driver directly from the manufacturers website. (Top 3 listed below)

-
--

6. Make sure that your NIC is not allowed to power down. Please see below:
-- Open Device Manager
-- Right click on your NIC card and select "Properties"
-- Select the "Power Management" tab; then CLEAR the "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" check box

Thoughts? Should I proceed or do we know for sure it is the EPG switchover?

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:32 pm

I run 2 Xbox 360 extenders in my house using a Ceton InfitiTV4 in my HTPC. One Xbox is wired and the other is wireless. The wireless xbox has become extremely laggy in the last 1-2 weeks when browsing the WMC TV guide. Before they were both crisp in their response. Now it is almost unusable. I thought it was the HTPC hard drive or Windows issue. I swapped the hard drive and re-installed Windows 7 on my HTPC. I still have the extreme lag on the wireless xbox. Wired is ok. We need a fix either from Microsoft of someone with some programming skills. This guide change really sucks if that is really the root cause.