Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
DOS4EVER

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:03 am

This is what worked for me:

REBOOT YOUR PC and type the following command from your ehome directory:

start /wait mcupdate -u (wait until the icon disappears from your taskbar before re-loading Media Center)

NOTE: If you restored Windows Media Center to factory defaults then typing the command twice should update everything properly.

JeremyFr79

Post by JeremyFr79 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:19 am

DOS4EVER wrote:This is what worked for me:

start /wait mcupdate -u (wait until the icon disappears from your taskbar before re-loading Media Center)

NOTE: If you restored Windows Media Center to factory defaults then typing the command twice should update everything properly.
Didn't work for me........Oddly enough I shared a tuner so i could setup live tv on my Win8 Laptop and it had no problem downloading the setup data, my MC machine is Win7 however.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:22 am

JeremyFr79 wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:This is what worked for me:

Didn't work for me........Oddly enough I shared a tuner so i could setup live tv on my Win8 Laptop and it had no problem downloading the setup data, my MC machine is Win7 however.
I have Windows 7 also. You may need to restore Windows Media Center to factory defaults as your database may be corrupt now.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:37 am

Wow! Almost every show now has a marquee in the guide info. I love that.

Tester

Post by Tester » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:40 am

Still not working for me, i tried mcupdate several times to no avail.
I am out of ideas.

JeremyFr79

Post by JeremyFr79 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:42 am

Tester wrote:Still not working for me, i tried mcupdate several times to no avail.
I am out of ideas.
Yeah I just wiped the machine again, just as I was wiping the drives it suddenly hit me I hand't put my windows key in......(hopefully that wasn't the issue) at any rate too late now, I'll know in a couple of hours if it's still not working (with key entered this time)

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:18 am

Tester wrote:Still not working for me, i tried mcupdate several times to no avail.
I am out of ideas.
Turn off the firewall and try again. As admin

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:48 am

Could not get it to work either. The mixed up thumbnails thing really annoys me, so I tried a different zip code (completely different, was not intending it to work) and it got the thumbnails for the first few hours, but then jumbled them all up after that.

I wanted to try a new machine, but of course TV Setup won't pull the guide info. So I tried an older machine that used to run WMC a year ago, and of course it won't pull the Rovi update (TV Setup still pulls the zap2it lineup).

I just gave up and rolled back again so now I'll stick with the auto-migrated lineup and just manually remove the duplicate channels.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:04 am

Dang. Sorry you guys can't get it working. I don't know, maybe I just got lucky but I thought for sure mcupdate fixed it.

JeremyFr79

Post by JeremyFr79 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:44 am

so an update......I have now done a 2nd fresh install on my machine, ran mcupdate (several times) I bypassed all my networking gear and went straight to my modem (to see if my firewall might be blocking something) windows firewall is completely shut down, internet access is fine, NSLookup resolves correctly for both guide domains. I am now at a total loss here, this is NOT good!

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:56 am

JeremyFr79 wrote:so an update......I have now done a 2nd fresh install on my machine, ran mcupdate (several times) I bypassed all my networking gear and went straight to my modem (to see if my firewall might be blocking something) windows firewall is completely shut down, internet access is fine, NSLookup resolves correctly for both guide domains. I am now at a total loss here, this is NOT good!
So sorry, man. Out of curiosity I restored my computer from a backup to just before I set up Media Center and after a manual mcupdate it once again was able to download the TV data, so I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble. Perhaps there is something wrong with downloading info from your region. Maybe Microsoft is still rolling out the updates. My zip code is 38117, perhaps you should try putting that in just to see if anything happens. If it works then at least we may have narrowed it down a region problem.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:04 am

still getting guide data, but ota won't switch to rovi, stuck on zap2it

JeremyFr79

Post by JeremyFr79 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:29 am

DOS4EVER wrote:
JeremyFr79 wrote:so an update......I have now done a 2nd fresh install on my machine, ran mcupdate (several times) I bypassed all my networking gear and went straight to my modem (to see if my firewall might be blocking something) windows firewall is completely shut down, internet access is fine, NSLookup resolves correctly for both guide domains. I am now at a total loss here, this is NOT good!
So sorry, man. Out of curiosity I restored my computer from a backup to just before I set up Media Center and after a manual mcupdate it once again was able to download the TV data, so I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble. Perhaps there is something wrong with downloading info from your region. Maybe Microsoft is still rolling out the updates. My zip code is 38117, perhaps you should try putting that in just to see if anything happens. If it works then at least we may have narrowed it down a region problem.
Yeah no go there as well.

So here's the things I've tried.

Fresh install of windows (twice complete disk wipe full retail genuine windows 7)
changing DNS (I run a domain at home and use several different providers for forwarders on my DC/DNS server)
Windows Firewall off (always off as I sit behind an enterprise firewall at home)
Mcupdate more times than I can shake a stick at with various flags(everything shows success EXCEPT "getting epg lineups package)
Multiple zipcodes both local and out of state
Connecting through a VPN (to try to hit a different akamai server on MS end)
setting up the hosts file (with multiple IP's that people had posted in various threads)
media center "restore"

and finally just for shit's and giggles I shared one of my ceton tuners on the network, and linked up to it with my Win8.1 Laptop and lo and behold my laptop went through TV setup just fine however it pulled Zap2It still.

I'm at my wits end here. Wife is about ready to strangle me or divorce me and no doubt I have some other unhappy members of the family as well right now..........

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:49 am

JeremyFr79 wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:
Yeah no go there as well.

So here's the things I've tried.

Fresh install of windows (twice complete disk wipe full retail genuine windows 7)
changing DNS (I run a domain at home and use several different providers for forwarders on my DC/DNS server)
Windows Firewall off (always off as I sit behind an enterprise firewall at home)
Mcupdate more times than I can shake a stick at with various flags(everything shows success EXCEPT "getting epg lineups package)
Multiple zipcodes both local and out of state
Connecting through a VPN (to try to hit a different akamai server on MS end)
setting up the hosts file (with multiple IP's that people had posted in various threads)
media center "restore"

and finally just for poop's and giggles I shared one of my ceton tuners on the network, and linked up to it with my Win8.1 Laptop and lo and behold my laptop went through TV setup just fine however it pulled Zap2It still.

I'm at my wits end here. Wife is about ready to strangle me or divorce me and no doubt I have some other unhappy members of the family as well right now..........
Well I went ahead and tested my procedure on a virtual machine that I already had set up and it seems I'm having the same trouble as you. I went step by step what worked for me on my HTPC but the TV data refuses to download on the VM. So I'm guessing this really must be a Microsoft issue and maybe I just got lucky at the right time. I hope they resolve this soon. I feel your pain.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:56 am

hansolo89 wrote:still getting guide data, but ota won't switch to rovi, stuck on zap2it
Same here (rerunning TV Setup will pull the OTA guide from Rovi though), but since I only have CableCARD tuners, it doesn't really affect me.

JeremyFr79

Post by JeremyFr79 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:57 am

Well I went ahead and tested my procedure on a virtual machine that I already had set up and it seems I'm having the same trouble as you. I went step by step what worked for me on my HTPC but the TV data refuses to download on the VM. So I'm guessing this really must be a Microsoft issue and maybe I just got lucky at the right time. I hope they resolve this soon. I feel your pain.
What really get's me is like I said my Win8.1 Laptop synced right up (was never setup for tv before) albeit with Zap2It, but hell I'd be happy to get zap2it for now, just seems so odd that it will connect on win8.1 but not win7 grrrrrrr ;)

JeremyFr79

Post by JeremyFr79 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:59 am

RyC wrote:
hansolo89 wrote:still getting guide data, but ota won't switch to rovi, stuck on zap2it
Same here (rerunning TV Setup will pull the OTA guide from Rovi though), but since I only have CableCARD tuners, it doesn't really affect me.
I am straight cable card as well but it refuses to pull down any EPG data.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:05 am

RyC wrote:
great I need ota data but you get it from rovi? but zap2it is only source from me, it still works so far but ota won't switch to rovi data

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:06 am

hansolo89 wrote:
RyC wrote:
great I need ota data but you get it from rovi? but zap2it is only source from me, it still works so far but ota won't switch to rovi data
Try rerunning TV Setup and the OTA guide should switch to Rovi

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:21 am

JeremyFr79 wrote:
What really get's me is like I said my Win8.1 Laptop synced right up (was never setup for tv before) albeit with Zap2It, but hell I'd be happy to get zap2it for now, just seems so odd that it will connect on win8.1 but not win7 grrrrrrr ;)
I'm sure you know this, but once you get it working and configured the way you like it I would strongly suggest you use the built-in Windows 7 backup feature to save a complete image of your OS to an external hard drive so if you ever have to restore in the future you won't have to go through this crap ever again. I was able to restore my working image with no issues.