Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Rainey

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Rainey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:09 am

Well i see no difference yet, But i have not installed any Windows updates in about six months.

I assume that I would need to take the updates for this new service to get installed?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:23 am

Change is on MS's end. You should get the new data regardless.

spanner

Post by spanner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:26 am

Rainey wrote:Well i see no difference yet, But i have not installed any Windows updates in about six months.

I assume that I would need to take the updates for this new service to get installed?
It sounds like it will be in a normal guide update and not a windows update, acording to the links newfriend posted

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:20 am

Thanks guys, that sounds good to me, because i see about 150 updates in the list and i have been putting it off because everything is working great so far.
If it aint broke don't fix it, kind of thing.

harbisd

Post by harbisd » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:51 am

Hi. I'm newly registered, although I've lurked for quite a while.

This issue has just affected me (very negatively). The guide data Rovi has for my cable provider is very out of date. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just out of order and I could use GuideTool to fix the listings, but I have channels whose channel numbers didn't exist in the old guide which is all the Rovi listings have, so WMC won't show those channels to me at all, guide data or not. And it's quite a few channels, some of which I watch very frequently.

I've posted to the Microsoft Connect site, but going back and looking at some of the last issues on there marked resolved were years ago. That makes me worry that they are even paying attention to the site. I hope I'm wrong.

Is there any way to 'force' WMC to pull in all of your channels that the tuner sees regardless of what the channel lineup that it is using is? If so, I could remap them manually, and for the newer channels that are missing from the old lineup they have, I could use U-verse or DirecTV's listings to pull in program data.

This is very frustrating. I hope Microsoft is paying attention to their support portal. As far as I can tell, there is no direct way to talk to Rovi and report the error.

TVguide.com (which I believe uses Rovi listings from what I've read) also shows all the incorrect ones from my area, and I've tried all the zip codes around me and they are even worse off than mine. Some of them have channel lineups that are even older than the one I have.

EDIT: For anyone else with the same problem, I just found a workaround (albeit kind of painful). Using the GuideTool app (http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool) you can manually add channels to each tuner. You seem to have to repeat it for each tuner, but at least it's a way around the problem. Then you can subscribe the channel's data to the same channel on the Directv list or whatever other local provider you may have for your zip. I'm not looking forward to the hours this will probably take, but the wife-acceptance-factor will drop significantly if all those channels go missing. Hopefully Microsoft and Rovi will just fix it on their end.
Last edited by harbisd on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:42 am

Ok I appears I got the update, as I look at the guide information, it said Rovi & updated thru 7/27 3 am

One thing that it does look like is that I will have to go back & edit the channel guide as I'm seeing channel numbers I removed previously. From what I can tell these, most of these have a different naming convention between Zap2it & Rovi, for example Zap2it has CSPAN & Rovi has "Cable Satellite Public Affairs..."

Besides that I'm not seeing any blank spots

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:22 am

I had not forced an update & my guide says Zap2it and extends out to 7-21-2015, 7:00 PM.
Now I'm trying to do a manual guide update & WMC7 says it downloading the latest guide data but nothing is happening. The modem lights indicate no movement. Guess I'll see what happens in the morning.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:48 pm

I did a manual guide update this morning it said it was successful. However it still shows Zap2it and still extends out to 7-21-2015, 7:00 PM.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:23 pm

Just to report I am still Zap2it with guide end date: 22/07 2:00AM.

Nothing changed yet for me.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Do any of you still on Zap2It have host file DNS/IP fixes for guide updates active from the last guide problems? If so you might want to revert those. In particular cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com looks like it's been rehomed, which doesn't seem all that surprising.

I got another days' worth of data last night from Rovi extending my guide to 7/23 5pm and fully complete w/ metadata. Must be a day behind others based on my update times but seems to be working OK.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:41 pm

I have never had to use the fixes.

To confirm, you are checking who the guide provider is through the 'About Guide Listings' page?

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Yes. The lines that say "Zap2It" and "Portions of content provided by Zap2It" will switch to Rovi.

And if you're like me, a lot of the channel ID codes in the guide (those call signs on the leftmost column of the guide) will change as well.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:27 pm

I can confirm that I saw the same thing after my guide was switched over to Rovi. If the conversion goes over successfully, you will probably need to modify you channel list & re-remove any channels that "reappears"
glorp wrote:Yes. The lines that say "Zap2It" and "Portions of content provided by Zap2It" will switch to Rovi.

And if you're like me, a lot of the channel ID codes in the guide (those call signs on the leftmost column of the guide) will change as well.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:06 pm

Still getting an error updating if I remove the hosts file modifications (on the NetTV package). I still got the update though, I have a bunch of duplicate channels now that I need to go through and remove.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:33 pm

glorp wrote:...And if you're like me, a lot of the channel ID codes in the guide (those call signs on the leftmost column of the guide) will change as well.
This is exactly why affected existing scheduled recordings bork. At which point I think it's easier to rerun tuner setup and then remove channels you don't want.

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Indeed. I've checked all my active scheduled recordings to see that they are still scheduling as expected and, so far so good. But I have many that won't be active again until fall or next year. It won't do any good to delete/re-add now because they aren't in the schedule again for months. This will be an ongoing mess.

I notice the same thing I think I saw someone else mention too. Some series episodes that were already recorded on the old provider schedule are being rescheduled for recording again.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:06 pm

That would make sense as the meta string for the show would now be different. An unwanted side effect perhaps...

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I never did any of the guide fixes.

I just did another manual guide update & it said was successful. However nothing has changed.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:59 pm

removed host file fix
flushed dns
rebooted pc
re-ran wmc tv setup
same markets to choose from
setup completed
still says Zap2it through 7/22

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:52 pm

still seeing zap2it on my main win 7 pc, have a laptop with windows 8.1 that switched to Rovi :|