Official: No WMC in Win 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:55 pm

spud72 wrote:The idea of W10 was to get people off of W7 & W8 on to the new platform - not sure why they don't offer it free to Vista & XP users too. Due to WMC not being included a lot of people will remain on W7 & W8 - sort of defeats the plan.

Hopefully MS will change their mind - how much will it cost them to recompile and maintain - not a huge amount of money I expect - fingers crossed that the EPG carries on going.
True, this could possibly cause some level of fragmentation. Giving Vista the option would be good too but, XP, not sure about.

I also hope Microsoft will change their mind here, Windows Media Center DOES run under Windows 10 with a modification of the disc before you install it (at this point, not sure on RTM). So as for recompile, they got it running in 8.1 fine, so it should run under Windows 10 with very little issue from them.

I still see it as a Win-Win for Microsoft, charge $29.99 for it in the store, let people who want it, buy it and offer only website support for it (limiting the possible calls for support), a almost sold AS-IS product. They would not have to deal with a high level of support on it (just keeping the guide working).
ajhieb wrote:Microsoft isn't forcing anyone to do anything and as of now they aren't taking away anything from anybody.

If you need to run WMC then stick with what you have. If you want to run Windows 10, then run that. If you want to do both, then buy a 2nd PC. Microsoft isn't stopping you from doing any of those things. You have all of the options you had prior to the Windows 10 announcement, plus one more.
You are 100% right here. You can stick with Windows 7 or 8 and Windows Media Center will run forever, till they kill guide data, and even from that point it will not just stop running. When they do kill off guide data, there is some 3rd party options to hack in guide data from other sources. As long as it can be automated to run in the background, there is no need to change from how it works now besides a yearly cost (3rd party options have a yearly fee).

Why I feel Microsoft should have an option for WMC in Windows 10. Standardization of the platform across the board, if WMC was an option and it was a free to upgrade and get WMC (if you owned WMC in your past version), more people would go, this would move more people off 7 and 8.1. Even if it was a paid option

Then the possible end of life getting shortened. This could be a problem for a lot of people. Microsoft has been known to move "end of life" dates on Windows, depending on usage. I'm not really worried about 7, I am kind of worried about 8/8.1, As 10 hits, more people will remove 8.1 and move to 10. Microsoft could drop the 2023 date and drop it down to 2018, or even lower. They did it before with Vista and XP (changing dates) this could be a problem for a lot of people.
ajhieb wrote: If MS never announced Windows 10 (or Windows 8 for that matter) No one would be complaining and everybody would be happily running Windows 7 with smiles on their faces, but as soon as Microsoft gave you a choice all of the sudden some people are acting like they're getting screwed over. Grow up. Not only are some people complaining about the prospect of choosing to keep their current setup for free or upgrading to the newest OS for free they have the audacity to complain on behalf of other hypothetical idiots. (and yes, if you blindly upgrade your OS without reading any of the warning presented to you, only to discover that some of your old stuff won't work then you are very much an idiot and got exactly what you deserved).
This is human nature. Give me ANYONE on this forum that has fully read the license agreement when you installed Windows ? (not people who got OEM machine, people who installed Windows). I don't mean quickly going through it, I mean someone who fully read it and understands it. I would bet most of the people on this forum don't fully understand or just by passed it (clicked OK)

People will install it not thinking about the after effects, I agree people should do it but, most people esp non techy users wont. As long as Microsoft offers a full rollback option, I guess people could live with it.
ajhieb wrote:Somebody was complaining about the car analogy earlier... fine. Somebody come up with another analogy where you would have similar expectations from a vendor. Were people starting twitter campaigns against Denon and Onkyo when they dropped component video connectivity in favor of going all HDMI on their main receivers? Not that I saw. No, they recognized that it was the evolution of the industry and if they wanted to continue using their old component A/V devices they'd have to stick with the old equipment. But maybe if Denon and Onkyo were giving away their new receivers for free more people would have complained about it. :roll:

Is there a single aspect in life where this sort of behavior would be considered normal? I can't think of a single one.
Obviously, you clearly have an issue with Windows Media Center and Windows 10. You want it to die and for people to move on. So, riddle me this. DO you even use WMC ? Have you ? If you use a HTPC based option to watch TV etc, on your computer, what are you using ?

If you want it to die, great, good for you, then move on, others still use it every day, and they people have a right to say how they feel.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:10 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Why I feel Microsoft should have an option for WMC in Windows 10. Standardization of the platform across the board, if WMC was an option and it was a free to upgrade and get WMC (if you owned WMC in your past version), more people would go, this would move more people off 7 and 8.1. Even if it was a paid option
Why would you care about standardization of the platform? Don't you think MS considered that? MS almost certainly wants to maintain a certain level of standardization, but at the same time, they need to also continue moving forward. WMC isn't being developed anymore. It isn't a product that is evolving. What they've done is given you, the consumer a choice in the matter. Stick with what you've got, or move to the new version. If MS had never breathed word one about Windows 10 right now, you'd still be happily plugging along with your Win7 or Win8 setup, happy enough that it was still working. Win10 hasn't changed anything regarding that setup. It will still work just like it would have before you got any ideas about Win10 stuck in your head. Literally nothing has changed with regards to your current WMC setup yet you act like MS has doomed it.

Then the possible end of life getting shortened. This could be a problem for a lot of people. Microsoft has been known to move "end of life" dates on Windows, depending on usage. I'm not really worried about 7, I am kind of worried about 8/8.1, As 10 hits, more people will remove 8.1 and move to 10. Microsoft could drop the 2023 date and drop it down to 2018, or even lower. They did it before with Vista and XP (changing dates) this could be a problem for a lot of people.
Again the EoL is a meaningless number. WMC will still continue to run after the EoL has expired. The only thing that is a concern is guide data, and if you've read your ToS you'd know that the guide data (which isn't tied to the product EoL in any legal, meaningful away, other than lot's of people assume they must be the same) can be discontinued with notice at any time. They could announce tomorrow that they're cutting of guide data, and it has nothing to do with Windows 10. You might assume that WMC in Windows 10 will prolong the life of the product and the availability of guide data, but there is simply nothing factual to back that up. It is fantasy.

This is human nature. Give me ANYONE on this forum that has fully read the license agreement when you installed Windows ? (not people who got OEM machine, people who installed Windows). I don't mean quickly going through it, I mean someone who fully read it and understands it. I would bet most of the people on this forum don't fully understand or just by passed it (clicked OK)
That is mostly true of EULA/ToS agreements but most people I know actually bother to read the screens explaining important setup information during product setup, especially if it's the first time. Have you ever actually performed an in-place upgrade of an OS? I've done dozens of them and the setup screen that shows product incompatibility and feature deprecation is very hard to miss.

And you can't have it both ways here. You can't paint users as naive simpletons that just click "ok" a bunch, yet also claim these same people have successfully setup and maintained a WMC install without any outside help. I don't think a single person that you're trying to describe exists, let along hundreds of thousands of them. Did Newegg accidentally ship a few hundred thousand TV tuners to various people across the world, and everybody just instinctively, installed them, configured, them, connected them, contacted their cable company (as needed) for cable cards, and managed to keep everything working perfectly? Because that seems like the most plausible scenario for hundreds of thousands of people to be using WMC as a DVR while still being oblivious to the current landscape of WMC.

If you're suggesting that any idiot can just stumble into a working WMC DVR without any help whatsoever, that kinda makes your MS Media certification the most useless certification in history doesn't it?

Obviously, you clearly have an issue with Windows Media Center and Windows 10. You want it to die and for people to move on. So, riddle me this. DO you even use WMC ? Have you ? If you use a HTPC based option to watch TV etc, on your computer, what are you using ?

If you want it to die, great, good for you, then move on, others still use it every day, and they people have a right to say how they feel.
I have no issue with WMC or Windows 10 at all. Quite the contrary, I'm calling out the people such as yourself that do. I like WMC fine, and use it every day, and have for several years. I had computers running XP MCE, and I invested in a HP z565 Media PC that worked well for years running Vista MC, then upgraded to a newer hombuilt PC when the Ceton InfiniTV-4 cards became available upon which I purchased 2. Since then I've had as many as 5 extender, plus the main PC. It is currently the only source of live TV in my household. I'm as heavily invested in WMC as anyone here including yourself.

I also recognize that my wants have no impact on the discussion (though to answer your question, I don't want WMC to die) and instead of living in some fantasy world where MS is going to keep WMC running until 2050, I've come to terms with the fact that WMC has reached the end of its life, that MS is moving on, and that my wants aren't going to change that. I also recognize that MS has provided me with a product that I've found to be incredibly useful, and have derived years of enjoyment from it, but MS is under no obligation whatsoever to continue to make that product available to me. Just like in literally every other aspect of life, when something new comes out I'll have to choose between what i'm already using and what the new product has to offer me.

If MS had announce a year ago that Win8.1 was going to be the last version of Windows ever released, and they were moving away from the OS market, but they were going to still support all of their current and previous OSes as promised, would you be throwing the same sort of temper tantrum that you are now? I highly doubt it because you'd be happy enough knowing that you could continue to use WMC just like you always have. So my advice to you is pretend that MS did that very thing. Ignore the fact that Windows 10 even exists, and just carry on using your WMC install like every other WMC user and stop worrying about Windows 10. You're getting yourself all worked up in a lather over nothing.

Nobody here is suggesting that you can't say how you feel. go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10. But if you keep your setup running, like it has been, then I really don't think you have anything to be sad about, or complain about.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:36 am

@DavidinCT,
I would give you a :thumbup: if I could, and hope you continue to tinker with patching WMC into win10 ( I've been watching your thread).

I see the glass as half full here vs empty as to whether or not there can be an effect from consumer influence on the fate of our much beloved WMC. Sure it might be a waste of time, but until win10 is final and released why not see how big the WMC base is (7.5 Million i read somewhere) and how loud people can crow about it vs discourage it.

Pc World - Here's how user feedback is shaping Windows 10

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:10 pm

Another potential complication...

While it's possible we might be able to get a 3rd party hack to keep WMC running with a program guide, it's possible Microsoft could decide to remove the extender software from the Xbox 360s, in a future Xbox 360 update.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:51 pm

ajhieb wrote: If you're suggesting that any idiot can just stumble into a working WMC DVR without any help whatsoever, that kinda makes your MS Media certification the most useless certification in history doesn't it?
Ok, I agree partly with a lot of your points, you do make some valid points but, I am going to agree to disagree with some aspects. I am not crying about it, I still think there is a NEED for it. As for above back in the day, when Analog cable was the only real option, WMC was very easy for people to setup with out any help. Grab tuner card off shelf, install it, get TV working on the internal software that it came up with, Load up Windows Media Center, follow first run step by step, I think most people could get it up and running with very little help. Cablecards add a complex level but, *IF* everything is perfect (drivers are installed right, cablecard is correctly activated, etc), installing a cablecard is almost just as easy. If you run into a minor problem, Microsoft's site is pretty good with most minor issues. So it's not as bad as you kind of make it seem to be. I do agree there are some aspects with hardware that just does not work out of the box and those cases would need support.

As I work in IT as a senior systems admin, been doing it for over 20 years now, and did custom WMC machines for a few years, and even had contacts over on the ehome team at one point to ping questions on (the good old days), I know the ins and outs of it, I have actually had my hands on and used a few non released products for Windows Media Center that would make most people here in the US freak out about (this is all I will say due to past NDAs). I am very passionate about it. As you said, my part of WMC world is a lot different than yours, trust me when I say that. I know a LOT of people who still use it and almost every day.

In my case, I use WMC on a dedicated HTPC (Infintv tuners, as you do with extenders) and I share out the tuners with the other machines in my home, so I can watch live TV and recorded TV (non-protected) on any computer in the home, including my tablet over Wi-Fi, it's a great feature and it gets used a lot. My office machine is also a gaming machine (pretty beefy at this point, as I did a major upgrade about 2-3 weeks ago), so I do a lot of gaming as well as day to day things on it, this includes watching TV when I work and catching up a shows while I do something else. I NEED to go to Windows 10 on a gaming aspect, because of DirectX 12. It would be perfect and why I see a need if I could have WMC running on Windows 10, as I would get the advantages of Win 10 with the full feature set that I have been using for years.

My Dedicated machine is not going to Windows 10, and yes, I know nothing will change when 10 is released, it will continue to work just like always, till MS kills guide data and even then, a 3rd party hack can enable It for a yearly fee. Yes, I know the ehome team was shut down years ago and they are not going to develop it any more, this is known (although I still would like that to change, or a 3rd party to take it over).

It's true to what I said, if there are still a lot of user of it and people say something through all the channels available these days, there is a possibility it could come back as an option. Even if a true 1% of Windows users (XP MCE, 7 or 8/8.1) user actually use live tv on it (in a global scale, I do believe it is higher, and I cant find the link I read on users as of this year), that is still close to a million or more people. Anyway you look at it, it's still a LOT of users of the product. When People attempt to upgrade to Windows 10, they will see the option that it will be removed, and I think there will be a buzz on it, not something that will change the world but, I bet there is some back lash to it.

If people want to move on, good, go for it, if you still want it in Win 10, speak up, maybe it could happen but, your not getting a new product anyway about it. I don't see me moving on till something comes out that is BETTER than WMC and nothing at this time is even close to what WMC is, even at a 5-7 year old product.
Mpgrimm2 wrote:@DavidinCT,
I would give you a :thumbup: if I could, and hope you continue to tinker with patching WMC into win10 ( I've been watching your thread).

I see the glass as half full here vs empty as to whether or not there can be an effect from consumer influence on the fate of our much beloved WMC. Sure it might be a waste of time, but until win10 is final and released why not see how big the WMC base is (7.5 Million i read somewhere) and how loud people can crow about it vs discourage it.

PC World - Here's how user feedback is shaping Windows 10
Thanks, at this point, with RTM of Windows 10 coming in a month and 1/2, I am leaning towards waiting till it hits, as anything we try now could not work in the RTM. It's still on my list and I have been trying things here and there with out luck and no updates because they are failures (I will try to update the thread more).

This is really the time for people to very vocal if they want it in Windows 10, I know MS could port it very easy, but, they don't think there is enough users so people should let them know !
bob_p wrote:Another potential complication...

While it's possible we might be able to get a 3rd party hack to keep WMC running with a program guide, it's possible Microsoft could decide to remove the extender software from the Xbox 360s, in a future Xbox 360 update.
True, I don't think MS would do that and if so, it would be one of those things where you have to hit NO every time you boot up your xbox 360 (asking to update)....

I'm sure when that time comes, there will be plenty of notice (3rd party sites even directly from Microsoft before it hits)...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:59 pm

ajhieb wrote:Microsoft isn't forcing anyone to do anything and as of now they aren't taking away anything from anybody.

If you need to run WMC then stick with what you have. If you want to run Windows 10, then run that. If you want to do both, then buy a 2nd PC. Microsoft isn't stopping you from doing any of those things. You have all of the options you had prior to the Windows 10 announcement, plus one more.

If MS never announced Windows 10 (or Windows 8 for that matter) No one would be complaining and everybody would be happily running Windows 7 with smiles on their faces, but as soon as Microsoft gave you a choice all of the sudden some people are acting like they're getting screwed over. Grow up. Not only are some people complaining about the prospect of choosing to keep their current setup for free or upgrading to the newest OS for free they have the audacity to complain on behalf of other hypothetical idiots. (and yes, if you blindly upgrade your OS without reading any of the warning presented to you, only to discover that some of your old stuff won't work then you are very much an idiot and got exactly what you deserved)

Somebody was complaining about the car analogy earlier... fine. Somebody come up with another analogy where you would have similar expectations from a vendor. Were people starting twitter campaigns against Denon and Onkyo when they dropped component video connectivity in favor of going all HDMI on their main receivers? Not that I saw. No, they recognized that it was the evolution of the industry and if they wanted to continue using their old component A/V devices they'd have to stick with the old equipment. But maybe if Denon and Onkyo were giving away their new receivers for free more people would have complained about it. :roll:

Is there a single aspect in life where this sort of behavior would be considered normal? I can't think of a single one.

This. 100% this.

UnrealNeil

Post by UnrealNeil » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:01 am

EPG... or the potienial lack thereof
I live in AUstralia and the EPG never worked in XP MCE, Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 MCE
When Australia used analog TV I paid for and subscribed to EPGSTREAM from EPGSTREAM.NET (Now closed)
I paid for their lifetime licence and was disappointed 12 months later when they closed...

...But Australia had moved to Digital TV signal.
...I still had analog tuner cards
and I grumbled.
...Then one day I was playing with a friends digital tv tuner card and was astounded to see Guide data in MCE
...the guide data came through the Digital signal!!!!!

I immediately purchased two digital tuner cards and carried on with my life with MCE
(And I stopped grumbling about EPGSTREAM going out of the TV guide data business.....)

Do you have digital tv signal where you live?
Do you have digital tv tuner cards?
Do your friends with large screen 'smart' tvs have guide data on their smart tvs?

LaoLuo

Post by LaoLuo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:00 pm

I have a Dell laptop with an AVerMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/ATSC card for television. Right now I access the television function through the WMC. Since the WMC will disappear in Windows 10, does anyone know of any alternative program I can use to access the TV function?

Talos

Post by Talos » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:01 am

I'd noticed the same thing as unrealneill. Here in Australia there is no Microsoft provided for guide data. Wmc instead populates the guide from the EIT data embedded in the digital broadcast stream. As long as this EIT data continues to be steamed wmc will continue to function as it does for us right now.

Do broadcast streams in other countries not have embedded EIT data that could be used instead of the Microsoft provided one?

paqman3d

Post by paqman3d » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:42 am

I barely post here, but I've been lurking for years, dating back to 2006 when I first used WMC with DirecTV. I recently got an actual account after I *finally* (after a ton of research and saving) built my dream HTPC that's girlfriend approved and tested. While I was upset WMC was behind a paywall in 8.1, I got over it because I needed the software to complete my vision. Running my own DVR and being 100% in control of it, from the look and feel of my guide, channel names and order, to streaming to Xbox 360s in other bedrooms, to cutting my cable bill in half (literally), has been completely awesome. It's nearly impossible to think about watching cable TV any other way. Snapping WMC running live TV to one side of the screen and snapping a browser, an emulator, or anything else on the other always impresses my guests lol. Having "one box" for EVERYTHING is so great.

Sure, the set up was a pain in the ass (I knew more about CableCARD than Time Warner several times), but it works now. I was looking forward to upgrading to 10, but the death of WMC has gutted me to the point the mere mention of Windows 10 makes me want to vomit. I'm aware I'm in the minority (we all are), but this is complete garbage by Microsoft to pull this crap. I don't think any of us would have minded them not upgrading the damn software and leaving it as is, as a paid add-on (yet again). Hell, I'd even pay for guide updates! Whatever it took to keep my HTPC in one piece and current.

To add insult to injury, I can't even use the Xbox One wireless controller adapter unless I upgrade from 8.1 to 10. Are they serious? Making me upgrade over a driver?! How about no and I'll wait for somebody to hack it? lol

Speaking of Xbox, this just stinks of it. It seems like Microsoft is nudging everyone to the Xbox brand with a heavy hand when it's the opposite of what users like us want. I game and watch TV on PC; I have no reason to even begin to think about buying an Xbox One. Heck, my HTPC even has a Xbox logo decal on the front because, to me, I have a better XB1 than the actual thing! LOL.

If Xbox One's TV feature wasn't so counter productive and primitive compared to WMC, I'd consider it. I think Microsoft is just really short-sighted trying to kill of the HTPC right now, when NOW is the best time to push living room PCs. If they put 50% of the effort they put into Xbox into Windows + HTPC features, we'd be golden.

I've been brainstorming ways I can keep WMC, but the harsh truth is, I'm going to have to move on at some point due to DX12. Hopefully by then I'd have WMC + 8.1 (or 7) running on an older machine and will just settle with streaming to a Xbox 360 in the living room or I'll find a new solution (Silicondust?) by then. I'm hoping we're all swerved and Microsoft releases a replacement program with updated features. Not holding my breath, but if they killed off WMC to introduce a new app, I'm all for it.

Gotta hold on to some hope, because this is very depressing lol.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:23 am

Sure, the set up was a pain in the butt (I knew more about CableCARD than Time Warner several times), but it works now. I was looking forward to upgrading to 10, but the death of WMC has gutted me...Gotta hold on to some hope, because this is very depressing
Why?

Why?

Why were you looking forward to upgrading YOUR DVR to Windows 10? Let me ask you this: do you look forward to upgrading the controller in your refrigerator?

Why does NOT being able to upgrade YOUR DVR to Windows 10 gut and depress you?

What would upgrading YOUR DVR to Windows 10 give you that Win8 (or Win7) can't give you AS A DVR?

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:21 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Sure, the set up was a pain in the butt (I knew more about CableCARD than Time Warner several times), but it works now. I was looking forward to upgrading to 10, but the death of WMC has gutted me...Gotta hold on to some hope, because this is very depressing
Why?

Why?

Why were you looking forward to upgrading YOUR DVR to Windows 10? Let me ask you this: do you look forward to upgrading the controller in your refrigerator?

What would upgrading YOUR DVR to Windows 10 give you that Win8 (or Win7) can't give you AS A DVR?
I understand the point of what you're saying here and agree with it (I won't be updating my HTPC PC for the obvious reason until I have a solution to replace WMC).

I also use my HTPC as a gaming machine however, and the inability to update to DirectX 12 is a pretty big downside to not being able to upgrade.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:50 pm

Hey, I have an idea...one HTPC plus one gaming PC. Problem solved. You're welcome! :)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:40 am

LuckyDay wrote:
adam1991 wrote:
Why?

Why?

I understand the point of what you're saying here and agree with it (I won't be updating my HTPC PC for the obvious reason until I have a solution to replace WMC).

I also use my HTPC as a gaming machine however, and the inability to update to DirectX 12 is a pretty big downside to not being able to upgrade.
You could always dual boot.. Game in Windows 10,
HTPC in Windows 7/8.1
Not Ideal but??
newfiend~

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:03 am

newfiend wrote:You could always dual boot.. Game in Windows 10,
HTPC in Windows 7/8.1
Not Ideal but??
newfiend~
Can't record something if playing a game, can't play a game if something is recording/is set to record.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:06 am

Ed  wrote:
newfiend wrote:You could always dual boot.. Game in Windows 10,
HTPC in Windows 7/8.1
Not Ideal but??
newfiend~
Can't record something if playing a game, can't play a game if something is recording/is set to record.
Set up a VM in Windows 10 for Windows 7 just for recording in background. Synchronize recording schedule via a service that runs on both. NO BIG DEAL. :D

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:12 am

Embiggens wrote:Set up a VM in Windows 10 for Windows 7 just for recording in background. Synchronize recording schedule via a service that runs on both. NO BIG DEAL. :D
I know you're joking :D - but no one who games would want a VM running in the background while gaming - eating up resources and degrading the game's performance. I just had to say it, lol

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:24 am

That's why rational people don't try to do everything on one hardware platform.

Use the correct tool for the job.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:51 am

Ed  wrote:
Embiggens wrote:Set up a VM in Windows 10 for Windows 7 just for recording in background. Synchronize recording schedule via a service that runs on both. NO BIG DEAL. :D
I know you're joking :D - but no one who games would want a VM running in the background while gaming - eating up resources and degrading the game's performance. I just had to say it, lol
How about a WMC emulator running off Unix inside of a VM?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:57 am

adam1991 wrote:That's why rational people don't try to do everything on one hardware platform.

Use the correct tool for the job.
Well, simply WMC running in the background (or really WMC not running and just a recording being.....recorded) isn't really resource intensive at all; so therefore if it could be done in the same OS - it would be understandable to have one machine for both in that case. It's the whole having to run a VM to run another OS, which is resource intensive, while trying to do something else resource intensive (gaming), that is the whole 'kink in the works'. Having 2 separate machines in this case is the only sensible answer - where as if for sake of argument WMC was in Win 10 - it wouldn't be feasible to buy/build/run/maintain 2 separate machines; when the functions of both could be easily done by one in unison.
STC wrote:How about a WMC emulator running Unix inside of a VM?
We've reached full Poe's Law here cause I can't tell if you're joking or not, lol - but yes, that would be just as bad.