Guide data has stopped updating

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
webminster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide data has stopped updating

Post by webminster » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:39 am

My EPG data (Fort Collins CO Comcast Digital, guide ID 28516864) hasn't updated for about a week. Am now down to 6 days left of program data.

Internet connectivity to the media center is fine. MCupdate is running nightly, and have tried manual updates as well. Event logs show MCupdate completing without errors, and showing data "up to date". But my guide data has shown end date of 12/26 8pm for about a week.

I've opened a ticket on the EPG feedback site (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ve-stopped), but have received no response. However, 7 others have commented they're having the same issue.

Hoping to find others with same problem, or better, ideas for a solution. Or a way to wake Microsoft up. Is a sister thread for this over at Windows Experts: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 02357.aspx

-Alan
-Alan

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:19 am

Rerun your TV setup. My cable provider changed names a month or two ago and that caused my updates to fail. I still have Comcast, but the provider name in the setup changed. I think Microsoft/Whoever may be managing their data a bit.

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:29 am

I'll give it a try... I do note that others responding to the ticket above have tried this to no avail...
-Alan

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:40 am

I was forced to re-run TV setup yesterday (driver issues), and my guide (FiOS, VHO3 92647) data ends on Monday. I have acknowledged the Connect site, but I have also gone to twitter; @Windows and @MicrosoftHelps for now to see where I get.

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:20 am

Same here. Guide ends on the 26th and won't update.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:34 am

I'm on Verizon Fios in New England, and I also have an end date of 12/26 on my guide. I've done everything -- ran mcupdate as Administrator, did the Start /wait mcupdate -uf, checked the task scheduler for hiccups (no problems anywhere) -- to no avail.

I've had this HTPC (Win 7/32-bit) up and running for the last year and a half, and have never had to even think about the guide updating. It just did. Until about a week ago, when it didn't. Just stopped dead one day.

Can't be our computers -- not all with the same end date. Something must be going on at MS -- but for heaven's sake, what? It's not the end of another, um, Millennium. Ouch. :)

However, it is the end of the year, and I'm wondering now if that's just a coincidence. I just hope it gets fixed, at this point, in the next five days.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Yep, looks like guide data ends on the 26th. No errors in the Event Logs, so it looks like guide data is simply not being provided past the 26th. This is not good.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:05 pm

If you need to record a TVShow, you can use the click2record service until this problem is fixed. (or keep using it... ;))
Have a look at www.click2record.com

.Nico

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:33 pm

nothing really to update, but @MicrosoftHelps did respond back to me. We'll see where this goes.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:31 pm

.Nico wrote:If you need to record a TVShow, you can use the click2record service until this problem is fixed. (or keep using it... ;))
Have a look at http://www.click2record.com
Nico,

Set up account. Downloaded program and installed. As instructed, went to Services (as Administrator) and opened Clicked2Record. As instructed, clicked on START. Got the following message: "The Click2Record service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

Went back to Click website and programmed in something to record at 5 p.m. -- which was successfully selected and emailed to my Click account.

Went back to Services and tried to start the program (set, btw, for Automatic) ... keep getting the same error message. Will the program start automatically once 5 p.m. arrives?

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:41 pm

I was looking at this too. Is this just remotly setting up a manual recording or is there an EPG to select from? I'll have to wait until I get home to install/test.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Ack wrote:I was looking at this too. Is this just remotly setting up a manual recording or is there an EPG to select from?
No guide that I can see ... which, if true, makes this kind of a pain to use. First go to TitanTV to find a program, then go to the C2R site (apparently there's no PC program) to manually set up the recording. All this because WMC guide won't update!!!

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:51 pm

carljanderson wrote:nothing really to update, but @MicrosoftHelps did respond back to me.
And in their response they said .... ???? :)

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:57 pm

SugarFree wrote:
Ack wrote:I was looking at this too. Is this just remotly setting up a manual recording or is there an EPG to select from?
No guide that I can see ... which, if true, makes this kind of a pain to use. First go to TitanTV to find a program, then go to the C2R site (apparently there's no PC program) to manually set up the recording. All this because WMC guide won't update!!!
Well, unless I'm away from home when I see or think of something I want to record, it seems like it'd just be easier to set up the manual recordings while I'm at the HTPC.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Ack wrote:unless I'm away from home when I see or think of something I want to record, it seems like it'd just be easier to set up the manual recordings while I'm at the HTPC.
But .. um ... how can you do that without a guide? How do you know what you want to record if you don't know what's on, or when, or what channel? In other words, even if I'm home and at the HTPC, I first need to open a browser, go to TitanTV, browse the entire day's worth of programs, select the programs I want, write down the stations, time and title -- THEN go to the C2R site, log in, and for each program I want to record, type in the station, time and title.

Assuming I record a few programs a day on average, that's quite a lot of time spent for what used to be point and click. :(

winterescape

Post by winterescape » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:27 pm

same here, just checked today (12/21) and all my guide data is blank starting on the 27th. this is not looking good...

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:40 pm

SugarFree wrote:
Ack wrote:unless I'm away from home when I see or think of something I want to record, it seems like it'd just be easier to set up the manual recordings while I'm at the HTPC.
But .. um ... how can you do that without a guide? How do you know what you want to record if you don't know what's on, or when, or what channel? In other words, even if I'm home and at the HTPC, I first need to open a browser, go to TitanTV, browse the entire day's worth of programs, select the programs I want, write down the stations, time and title -- THEN go to the C2R site, log in, and for each program I want to record, type in the station, time and title.

Assuming I record a few programs a day on average, that's quite a lot of time spent for what used to be point and click. :(
Definitely agree. I have a bunch of stuff I'd have to set up and I'm just using OTA. I don't completely understand the Click2Record yet, but if it doesn't have a guide it will be the same process whether at home or away with Click2Record. At least at home I can sit in the easy chair with TV Guide or What's On or one of the TV guide apps on the iPod in one hand and set up the recordings manually on Media Center with the remote.

On a related note, I was using SageTV last year about this time and I seem to remember the EPG not updating then it started again before the first of the year and before it ran out. I'm hoping this is just an end of the year thing and it starts updating again in Media Center. I'm only a year and a half into the HTPC thing so my experience is limited.

Is there a way to use some other source for the EPG in Media Center. I have a subscription to Schedules Direct which I think I can produce an XML file; hoping I can do that (just thinking ahead and not wanting to manually set up everything)

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:42 pm

SugarFree wrote:
carljanderson wrote:nothing really to update, but @MicrosoftHelps did respond back to me.
And in their response they said .... ???? :)
They just acknowledged me. Then someone else did, but nothing substantial yet.

However, from the connect ticket - "Posted by Microsoft on 12/21/2011 at 11:35 AM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This has been escalated to our data providers. "

Also, The Digital Media Zone also just tweeted in and they are going to contact Microsoft. I am hoping they have a different way into MS. :)

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Ack wrote: Is there a way to use some other source for the EPG in Media Center. I have a subscription to Schedules Direct which I think I can produce an XML file; hoping I can do that (just thinking ahead and not wanting to manually set up everything)
My bad on Schedules Direct. It is for programs that are "free and/or uses an OSI-approved Open Source license" and don't violate their TOA.
I know I've read information on how to generate your own XML file; does anyone know if you can use it in Media Center?

Hoping for the best but planning for the worst just in case.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:04 pm

.Nico wrote:If you need to record a TVShow, you can use the click2record service
Well, it's an official 'No Go.' -- Click2Record did NOT record at 5 p.m. .... and despite many tries, the service will not run. It 'starts' but stops after two seconds.

Next.....!