Possible to port WMC from Win10 Preview builds to Final?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
DanB_DE

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DanB_DE » Sun May 24, 2015 6:02 pm

ok, running 10074 ehshell.exe on Windows 8.1 doesn’t work neither ;-)

@DavidinCT

Is your current VM Installation already recoverable with a script ?

Would be great if there would be script to collect all data from the source build and a deploy script for the current and coming builds.

Did you make detailed notes when you transfer all the Files, Reg Keys etc.. ?
This would be a great first step , so we have the same basis for testing.

We should work on this first.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon May 25, 2015 7:32 pm

DanB_DE wrote:ok, running 10074 ehshell.exe on Windows 8.1 doesn’t work neither ;-)

@DavidinCT

Is your current VM Installation already recoverable with a script ?

Would be great if there would be script to collect all data from the source build and a deploy script for the current and coming builds.

Did you make detailed notes when you transfer all the Files, Reg Keys etc.. ?
This would be a great first step , so we have the same basis for testing.

We should work on this first.
No, it was more of a dump this over, try this, and dump this over and try this. A lot of registry keys has to come over. I made some basic notes but, after a while I gave up on it.

I was planning to do it all again anyway with a fresh build. I want to see if there was a file to patch what I had, then once I see that it runs, start over using these files to test step by step to see if it works...

:(
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat May 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Update: In 10130 the ehome files are still in there (WinSxS). Makes me question if Microsoft 3-4 builds ago (a build is not just a minor update, it's a complete reinstall leaving a Windows.old folder) claims that they are no longer supporting Windows Media Center, they would of pulled all the files by this point to slim down the installer.

At least one would think.. Maybe they know they will get a lot of crap from it, A lot of people are closet WMC users, they will be vocal but, only after they install Windows 10 and find out the hard way.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat May 30, 2015 2:21 pm

Can the digital cable advisor and playready be installed? I hope that your right that they will just change their mind but a life support version is almost as bad as discontinuing it IMO. I guess you will know for sure once RTM hits which should be soon...

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Sat May 30, 2015 5:20 pm

cwinfield wrote:Can the digital cable advisor and playready be installed? I hope that your right that they will just change their mind but a life support version is almost as bad as discontinuing it IMO. I guess you will know for sure once RTM hits which should be soon...
We already sort of have a life support version anyways so I'd be OK with another life support version. : S

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat May 30, 2015 8:02 pm

I was able to find a 10130 ISO, so I am going to attempt to make a custom ISO (like Sharks showed) to see if it installs and if it still dumps in 8.1 w/mce...

I'll report back with my findings, This machine/VM does not have the cablecard tuners in it but, I still have one of the old ATI cablecard tuners sitting around, so I guess I could try it if I needed to.

Don't think I want to do that till we can port it over to a Non-MCE machine to confirm...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 pm

DavidinCT wrote:I was able to find a 10130 ISO, so I am going to attempt to make a custom ISO (like Sharks showed) to see if it installs and if it still dumps in 8.1 w/mce...

I'll report back with my findings, This machine/VM does not have the cablecard tuners in it but, I still have one of the old ATI cablecard tuners sitting around, so I guess I could try it if I needed to.

Don't think I want to do that till we can port it over to a Non-MCE machine to confirm...
I was going to try this but, someone over at MDL got it running and confirmed the files are still there and installable....

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... inal/page8

Wish someone could find a way to patch the files, and use the MAN file/files in the Winsxs folder to install WMC...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:30 pm

I have been capturing the files from each build, so even in 10130 all the files are there so it's still possible at this point to install WMC. All Microsoft would have to do at this point is enable an option to install it and it would install and work, just like in Windows 8.1...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

werds

Post by werds » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Yea, I am staying on Win7 until they add WMC to Win10 or until SiliconDust shows that it has a viable replacement ecosystem with minimal loss in ability compared to WMC... the wife LOVES the abilities and setup we have at home now, years after questioning the need and after the many times since then questioning my sanity as I updated and expanded the system to be whole home... Now she dreads the thought of losing the abilities the system provides :)

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:13 pm

^ Aint that just the way ;)

My current endeavor is trying to persuade the missus all the reasons why it's time for a replacement vehicle.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:41 pm

werds wrote:Yea, I am staying on Win7 until they add WMC to Win10 or until SiliconDust shows that it has a viable replacement ecosystem with minimal loss in ability compared to WMC... the wife LOVES the abilities and setup we have at home now, years after questioning the need and after the many times since then questioning my sanity as I updated and expanded the system to be whole home... Now she dreads the thought of losing the abilities the system provides :)
I hear ya. I've looked over the SiliconDust software(I have watched the all the videos many times to get as much detail as I can) and I am not even close to impressed. It looks like a desktop app and would be very clunky using a remote. Then you have the other side to it, Using a PC at each location as extenders (maybe one of those raspberry devices), when anyone using WMC already has a 360 in place (or other extender). So, there is a larger cost or more complex to moving over, if it was a good option.

Now, if this is an app that can be made compatible with other cablecard tuners (I have Ceton tuners, it will only work with NEWER HDR tuners) and you can modify/build a custom theme with native plugins (add music, movie library, etc), It MIGHT be a fair option but, the extender thing might work depending on the cost for each tv. It MIGHT...but, has a long way to go before it gets to be an option for WMC users and the product is not even released yet.

Right now, I need to move to Windows 10 on my desktop/gaming PC for DirectX 12 and I NEED WMC on it, or I am going to have to dual boot for different things every day. So as of right now, with Nothing going to replace WMC at this point, and nothing even close coming any times soon, This project is still going to happen if I can.....

Update: Found an ISO of 10135 and installed it in a VM, it still has all the Windows Media Center files in it(captured)....This makes me wonder, They have said 2-3 builds ago that WMC WILL NOT be an option on Windows 10 but, the "ehome" files are still in each build (go to Windows\winsxs and do a search for "ehome"), makes me wonder if they are just keeping it there to see how the demand is after a while or they are in the process of a "maybe" type thing...

The things that make you go Hmmmmm
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:36 am

Thanks for the updates.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:50 pm

It's understandable why SD is only supporting their tuners with their DVR software - they're a hardware company - and why would they invest in software that helped sell other manufacturers' hardware?

I share your concern about SD's ability to produce a WMC replacement. While the Kickstarter campaign will provide SD some funding, it's likely not enough to hire a large enough software developers to implement a WMC replacement, plus some of the funding is likely going to pay for the hardware included in the higher reward levels. And, unless they can come up with new revenue to support continued software development, there is a risk they'll get version 1 of the software developed and then have to start reducing staff.

That's why it would be better for SD to focus on the functionality only they can deliver - and provide an API so 3rd parties can integrate the SD DVR software into their environments. The biggest problem today is the inability for those systems to play DRM-protected programs (either live or recorded) and if SD can solve that problem, and allow others to use that functionality - we could see several WMC replacements available.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:26 pm

bob_p wrote:It's understandable why SD is only supporting their tuners with their DVR software - they're a hardware company - and why would they invest in software that helped sell other manufacturers' hardware?

I share your concern about SD's ability to produce a WMC replacement. While the Kickstarter campaign will provide SD some funding, it's likely not enough to hire a large enough software developers to implement a WMC replacement, plus some of the funding is likely going to pay for the hardware included in the higher reward levels. And, unless they can come up with new revenue to support continued software development, there is a risk they'll get version 1 of the software developed and then have to start reducing staff.

That's why it would be better for SD to focus on the functionality only they can deliver - and provide an API so 3rd parties can integrate the SD DVR software into their environments. The biggest problem today is the inability for those systems to play DRM-protected programs (either live or recorded) and if SD can solve that problem, and allow others to use that functionality - we could see several WMC replacements available.
Agreed, this is going off topic here but, I will reply to it...The are not going to support 3rd party tuners, they are selling it as an option for THEIR hardware. I hope Ceton comes up with another option (or would love them to buy the rights to WMC but, that is for another discussion)

If the SD option is open source to the interface, where it could be fully modded, then we could see a true replacement for WMC. It would not be a large paid team who would attempt this, it would be a community project. This is about the only way to get this done, unless SD has the massive budget and designers to attempt to do something.

Right now, even if I had SD tuners, I don't think it's a honest replacement at this point for WMC. As I think about it more, using extenders could open the door to playing all types of media and other things, it could fit feature wise where WMC lacks.

I still want WMC in WIndows 10, as it's the ONLY product that fits with a what is needed and it still is the flagship product that every other package is compared to. Even after not being update in 5-6 year, the interface and usability cant be beaten by anything else in the market. Really shows you when Microsoft gets their crap together they can make a unbelievable product.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:33 am

rather than add MC to windows 10 is there any way to stop it being deleted when windows 10 is installed?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:26 pm

mercalia wrote:rather than add MC to windows 10 is there any way to stop it being deleted when windows 10 is installed?
If that was possible, We would have already done that. Media Center is tied to a kernel process(enabled via your key), so if you could get it to stay after you upgrade to Windows 10, it would not even run.

I tried to move everything over to a Windows 10 build, this includes all registry keys and files, I would just end up with a security error (not authorized to run)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Ok, found the leaked 10147 build, this is the FIRST one with out Windows Media Center files. They have been officially removed from the ISO.

I guess now is the time to re-look at patching WMC into Windows 10 starting with build 10147. There is still registry files and some manifest files but, No deploy packages.

This project goes on starting with the first official next released build...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

GnatGoSplat

Post by GnatGoSplat » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:13 am

Is it possible to copy the deploy packages from 10130 into 10147?

Where does Dism /Get-TargetEditions read the possible target edition choices from?

GnatGoSplat

Post by GnatGoSplat » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:05 am

\Windows\servicing\Editions\EditionMatrix.xml in the install.wim is where I think the edition choices come from.
Adding the ProfessionalWMC lines from 10130 allows /set-edition:ProfessionalWMC to attempt to work in 10147, but then I get:

Code: Select all

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10147.0

Image Version: 10.0.10147.0

Starting to update components...
Finished updating components.

Starting to apply edition-specific settings...

Error: 1168

An error occurred while applying target edition component settings. The upgrade
cannot proceed.
For more information, review the log file.
In the \windows\log\dism\dism.log, doesn't look like it attempts to look at the *ProfessionalWMC*.cat and .mum files that I copied from 10130's \Windows\servicing\Packages.
Unfortunately, this is way over my head. :(

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:27 pm

GnatGoSplat wrote:\Windows\servicing\Editions\EditionMatrix.xml in the install.wim is where I think the edition choices come from.
Adding the ProfessionalWMC lines from 10130 allows /set-edition:ProfessionalWMC to attempt to work in 10147, but then I get:

Code: Select all

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10147.0

Image Version: 10.0.10147.0

Starting to update components...
Finished updating components.

Starting to apply edition-specific settings...

Error: 1168

An error occurred while applying target edition component settings. The upgrade
cannot proceed.
For more information, review the log file.
In the \windows\log\dism\dism.log, doesn't look like it attempts to look at the *ProfessionalWMC*.cat and .mum files that I copied from 10130's \Windows\servicing\Packages.
Unfortunately, this is way over my head. :(
This would fail on 10147, this is what I posted above. The MC files have all been removed from 100147, the last one with the files was 10135, that I was able to capture. Now trying to install 10130 MC to 10147 MC, would be something that I have attempted but because the miss matched versions, it will not install. Never mind MC checks at the kernel level to see if it can run, so EVEN if you could find a way to by pass the OS version and get it to actually install, Unless it's patched (to stop the kernel check), it wont even run.

The LAST version you could of done this with was 10135...

Trust me I have already looked over this method very deeply. Still thinking but, no ideas at this point.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave