SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME - Owner's Thread

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
UCBearcat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by UCBearcat » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:47 pm

My turn to bump - Silicondust just released a new stable firmware a couple days ago. It doesn't look like they really added anything worthwhile for the Prime tuners. It looks like they're tweaking the TC model tuners. But at this stage of the game, there probably isn't much more for them to fix on the Prime.

It was hoping the new f/w had support for the previously announced 6-tuner Prime - A guy can dream, can't he?

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:51 am

I finally had some time to get back to working on my WMC system. I got a cable card from Comcast and 5 hours later I have HD again.

part of the reason it took so long was waiting on the phone, the other part is because I missed the part on running the Digital Cable Advisor. the whole process is "easy" but not very strait forward and intuitive. there is no need to run the DCA for the Hauppauge digital tuner card.

just to recap. I only have the basic digital service so I get the basic cable in SD and had been getting broadcast HD until they started encrypting the over the air stations. so now it seems like I have the basic cable lineup in HD. I wonder how long that will last. I would have been happy just to get the broadcast HD back.

one thing that I notice is that sometimes there seems to be sound drops for a fraction of a second or so and sometimes pixilation. I don't know if it is my system or signal problems from Comcast. I have notice similar thing happening at my brothers house and they use Comcast boxes and dvr.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:31 pm

gary94080 wrote:I finally had some time to get back to working on my WMC system. I got a cable card from Comcast and 5 hours later I have HD again.

part of the reason it took so long was waiting on the phone, the other part is because I missed the part on running the Digital Cable Advisor. the whole process is "easy" but not very strait forward and intuitive. there is no need to run the DCA for the Hauppauge digital tuner card.

just to recap. I only have the basic digital service so I get the basic cable in SD and had been getting broadcast HD until they started encrypting the over the air stations. so now it seems like I have the basic cable lineup in HD. I wonder how long that will last. I would have been happy just to get the broadcast HD back.

one thing that I notice is that sometimes there seems to be sound drops for a fraction of a second or so and sometimes pixilation. I don't know if it is my system or signal problems from Comcast. I have notice similar thing happening at my brothers house and they use Comcast boxes and dvr.
The instructions that come with the HD HR Prime (and the Ceton tuners) tell you to run the DCA. Read the instructions first.

Regarding your sound/picture problems, start a new thread and provide more information about your hardware (e.g. what video adapter).

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:43 pm

You also may want to reasearch "network packet loss" on SDs website/forums.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:17 pm

barnabas1969 wrote: The instructions that come with the HD HR Prime (and the Ceton tuners) tell you to run the DCA. Read the instructions first.
yes, I walked into that one. I've grown complacent in the era of plug and play.
switching between screens, scrolling up and down, holding on to the phone, it is easy to over look that section.

my tech level is probably what is referred to as "knows enough to be dangerous".
mcewinter wrote:You also may want to reasearch "network packet loss" on SDs website/forums.
thanks for the information, I will have to dig into that more when I get past more pressing issues.

now for the issues. I thought everything was working ok, but I later find that I have a couple of urgent issues:
1. my Xbox extenders can no longer access the pc I set up with the HDHomeRun.
2. when I restart the pc and start WMC I get a message that there are no tuners connected unless I rerun the HDHomeRun setup program first.

when I run the checks on the Xbox, it shows that the Xbox is connected to the network, but cannot communicate with the PC.
I have access pc to pc and I have checked the extenders by connecting to pc not connected to the HDHomeRun so it does not seen to be a network issue.
everything is hard wired, not wireless.
no video card, I am using the motherboard output.

the Local Area Connection Status says I have:
IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
IPv6 Connectivity: No network access
Media State: Enabled
Speed: 1.0 Gbps

the pc specs:
HP Pavilion
p7-1287c
Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
64-bit OS
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1

HDHomeRun program 20140604

Windows Firewall
Microsoft Security Essentials

router/modem:
Motorola/Arris SURFboard AC1800M
ISP Comcast

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:03 am

gary94080 wrote:now for the issues. I thought everything was working ok, but I later find that I have a couple of urgent issues:
1. my Xbox extenders can no longer access the PC I set up with the HDHomeRun.
2. when I restart the PC and start WMC I get a message that there are no tuners connected unless I rerun the HDHomeRun setup program first.
OK to close out on this issue, here are some of the things I tried.
1. I fooled around with the firewall and finally turned it off and this did not work
2. I rolled the computer back to before I installed the HR software, then reinstalled the HR software and installed the DCA and this did not work. I should have checked to see if I could attach the extenders before I reinstalled the software, but I didn't think of that at the time, more on this later.
3. I moved to the second pc that I can attach extenders to and just installed the DCA. after doing this I could not attach an extender. I then rolled the computer back and then I was able to attach extenders again.

so on the surface my problem does not seem to be connected with SiliconDust HDHomeRun installation.

I will start a thread over on the Windows 7 sub forum.

aseries

Post by aseries » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:05 am

My new HDHomeRun Prime has been operating for a few days. The installation and setup was very straight forward. Windows Media Center can finally operate as designed. I had a long struggle with USB tuner dongles on my laptops and it was all a big waste of time. I just connected an XBOX 360 as a WMC extender with output direct to my big TV. It was a very simple, nearly automatic setup. Now I can more easily playback recorded content there. In the past I had to run an HDMI cable across the floor from a laptop.

scottfmcc

Post by scottfmcc » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Watch out for the HD Homerun Prime if you use Switched Digital Video with your cable system. There is a CONFIRMED issue with Motorola MTR700 Tuning Adapters and HR Homerun Prime's made after May 2014. The Tuning Adapter will never initalize. There is a documented thread on the SiliconDust forum about this. Techs at SD are working to resolve, but have no idea when the certificate issue will be resolved! I am on Charter and am missing many of my channels. I understand the issue affects many other cable systems as the MTR700 is widespread.scottfmcc

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:53 pm

scottfmcc wrote:Watch out for the HD Homerun Prime if you use Switched Digital Video with your cable system. There is a CONFIRMED issue with Motorola MTR700 Tuning Adapters and HR Homerun Prime's made after May 2014. The Tuning Adapter will never initalize. There is a documented thread on the SiliconDust forum about this. Techs at SD are working to resolve, but have no idea when the certificate issue will be resolved! I am on Charter and am missing many of my channels. I understand the issue affects many other cable systems as the MTR700 is widespread.scottfmcc
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... lit=MTR700

chrisdfw

Post by chrisdfw » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Not sure if you are aware but here this the beta that fixes that issue

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... =19&t=2484

PRIME Firmware:
* Solution for working with MTR700 tuning adapters running firmware with security certificate validation bug.

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:15 am

0917beta1 firmware and the Android app are working very nicely. Logos and now playing are on the new vertical guide.
uploadfromtaptalk1411384492588.jpg

leewcraft

Post by leewcraft » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:17 am

I thought I'd point out this thread here since HDHR Prime owners may be interested. I'm working on an add-in for a multi-view app in Windows Media Center for multiple channels on one screen. I find it particularly useful for sports, but others have mentioned news/weather as another application for it. Take a look if you're interested.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=8273

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:26 am

I have a setup running at my sister's house and it has been running well for 9 months or so.
just noticed that one of the tuners is no longer working. since the system was in use I couldn't do any checking.

just a preliminary question. are there instances of individual tuners going bad?

steps that I intend to try are:
1. power cycle the system
2. running the HDHR Prime setup, scan for tuners
3. if all else fails, run WMC setup

any other thoughts out there?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Mon May 18, 2015 7:24 am

gary94080 wrote:I have a setup running at my sister's house and it has been running well for 9 months or so.
just noticed that one of the tuners is no longer working. since the system was in use I couldn't do any checking.

just a preliminary question. are there instances of individual tuners going bad?

how many devices/total tuners are on the system? By default WMC has a limit of 4 tuners of each type (ATSC/CableCard/ClearQAM/NTSC/DVB/etc) unless modified by the use of tunersalad (currently can increase it to 32 tuners of each type). Every once in a while I have noticed that WMC needs to have tunersalad rerun again (especially before whenever tv setup is run)
Time is on my side.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:19 am

TeddyR wrote:
gary94080 wrote:I have a setup running at my sister's house and it has been running well for 9 months or so.

how many devices/total tuners are on the system? By default WMC has a limit of 4 tuners of each type (ATSC/CableCard/ClearQAM/NTSC/DVB/etc) unless modified by the use of tunersalad (currently can increase it to 32 tuners of each type). Every once in a while I have noticed that WMC needs to have tunersalad rerun again (especially before whenever tv setup is run)
just the one HDHR Prime. when two of the three tuners is used, WMC indicates that there are no tuners available.

side question, does the Ceton tuner require the tunersalad software to work?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon May 18, 2015 11:34 am

gary94080 wrote:side question, does the Ceton tuner require the tunersalad software to work?
The Ceton driver/utility software package automatically increases the tuner limit to 12.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:38 pm

I turned off the pc and Prime, reseated the cablecard, turned everything back on and all three tuners are back. so I have no idea why one of them dropped out.

Mystic95Z

Post by Mystic95Z » Wed May 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:40 pm

My HDHR3-CC arrived last night. Popped in my spare CC. Just one pairing call and 2 transfers. When I finally got the pairing lady, I only had to ask her once to...."Save the sales pitch and just punch in the numbers". It was midnight-they close at 1, I didn't have much time. She got even with my abruptness by forgetting to punch in the Starz codes. That's OK, I'll get them later. Looks like this little laptop plays Live on Media Player OK. HomeRunView works. Took awhile to find HomeRunConfig. The wrist rest feels a bit warm on the laptop, but it seems to be playing TV OK. Oh, Oh, I just felt the bottom of the laptop, its too hot to touch.

So, while you guys are working on getting WMC into 10, and/or waiting for the DVR Kickstarter, I thought I would try a few other things, just in case you have bad luck. Call it a plan B, C or whatever. Here is what I am going to try. Win 10, Emby Server, Emby TV, and Schedules Direct.
Attachments
HDHR3CC-Win7-I7-4GB-DellStudio-MediaPlayer.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:51 pm

I have been testing out the HDHR3-CC on the T7500 (Dual Xeon). It doesn't even break a sweat. Left the TV running for a few days. Just noticed a slight problem....I'm running out of hard drive. It appears to me that when the TV is on my User Account grows. I am using http://192.168.1.127/lineup.html to list the channels, and WMP to play live TV.

Any body know which setting I need to turn off, and how to find and delete the files?

Not sure if this post belongs in WMP or HDHR.

The 2nd Asus User Account is on a different box, and was created in 2012. Side by side with the account that watched TV for a few days.
Attachments
HardDriveGettingFull.JPG