Official: No WMC in Win 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
noslack

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by noslack » Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 pm

They really aren't writing a whole article now, they are rebranding Ed Bott's nightmare and then expounding on it with fluff, and the reason is that without an article, no one is going to click a link and read, which is what they want for their advertisers and need in order to get money from them. I will tell you that I have seen now, at least 15 articles spawned from that one misleading Bott article, and not only from small publications, PC World did their own spin off of the article and on and on, no pun intended, AD infinitum....

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon May 04, 2015 9:11 pm

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/595325485309005824

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profi ... ul%20[msft]

So now, I await all the 'jet fuel can't melt steel beams' people to tell me how this guy (Gabe Aul - Director of Program Management for the Windows Fundamentals team/Head of Windows Insider program) is wrong as well. *grabs popcorn*

cncb

Post by cncb » Mon May 04, 2015 9:31 pm

It is obvious to those following WMC that it was thrown into 8.0 last minute as a way to keep a few loud people (us) happy for a few years. Why does it surprise anyone that it won't be available? There are some people in serious denial here...

KevinRush

Post by KevinRush » Mon May 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Most software is not built into the OS. The poster ED and Ed Bott (who are these people?) say Window Media Center won't be in Windows 10 OS. I really do not know, but I would gladly pay $100s of dollars for a separate software with the same or more functionality.

Windows Media Center is amazing and truly a unique solution. I will be using it as long as I can and I'm continuing my plans to expand my whole house system with a Ceton 6 ETH to include two more rooms with Xbox 360 extenders resulting in 2 Windows Media Center Home Theater PCs and 6 rooms. The software works great in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, I don't need Windows 10. Some people are so spoiled, discarding perfectly fine functioning items, wanting a shiny new one. It is wasteful.

I gave input on Microsoft "User Voice" to support Windows Media Center, everyone should.

Keep a good thought. "Don't Panic!"

noslack

Post by noslack » Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 pm

KevinRush wrote:Most software is not built into the OS. The poster ED and Ed Bott (who are these people?) say Window Media Center won't be in Windows 10 OS. I really do not know, but I would gladly pay $100s of dollars for a separate software with the same or more functionality.

Windows Media Center is amazing and truly a unique solution. I will be using it as long as I can and I'm continuing my plans to expand my whole house system with a Ceton 6 ETH to include two more rooms with Xbox 360 extenders resulting in 2 Windows Media Center Home Theater PCs and 6 rooms. The software works great in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, I don't need Windows 10. Some people are so spoiled, discarding perfectly fine functioning items, wanting a shiny new one. It is wasteful.

I gave input on Microsoft "User Voice" to support Windows Media Center, everyone should.

Keep a good thought. "Don't Panic!"
Thanks for that, go to @Microsoft or go to http://www.facebook.com/Microsoft and let them know how much this means, we spent sometimes thousands of dollars on systems that were bought based on the representation that MS and Ceton and WMC were the future of HD on Xbox and all that crap, I run 6 Xboxes as extenders and have two Ceton 6 tuner cards in my MC PC, so BS, let us let them know at the public level how much we think about WMC...

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon May 04, 2015 10:08 pm

KevinRush wrote:The poster ED and Ed Bott (who are these people?)....
Buddy, I ask myself that every morning. *stares off into the abyss*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I found really interesting, was this bit of information from him:
Gabe Aul wrote:The main scenario people used WMC for was to play DVD. We'll provide another option for DVD playback in the future.
https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/595326865205817346

So, it seems (according to him - and he would know) out of the small subset that actually used WMC, it was an even smaller subset of that subset (i.e. - us) who used it for a DVR. I always knew/said - not everyone who is 'currently' using WMC uses it for DVR; but I always thought DVR usage/users were the statistical majority. Not people just using it to simply play DVDs. Like I said, very interesting.
Last edited by Ed  on Mon May 04, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:41 pm

We know that Silicon Dust is working on DVR software which will support cableCARD tuners and multiple platforms and I would certainly think that the Ceton people are working on something as well. They were well along wit the "Q" at one point and they got sold down the river by MSFT on the extender software when Win8 didn't support the Echo.

It would seem the right time for the Tuner makers to come up with a software package and extender package that works in Win7/8/10 as well as Mac and Android.

If would also seem that it's time for Cable Labs to allow unrestricted playback within a home environment for all recorded content. With Windows it could be limited to Home Group (if those still exist in Win10). But if MSFT is out, others will come in---after all Tivo did it.

noslack

Post by noslack » Mon May 04, 2015 11:24 pm

noslack wrote:Before I vomit from the subset of the subset crap, here is another place to voice your opinion, and whatever you do, don't write script lines for a perverted movie when you post on twitter like the Bot does here:).
@satyanadella

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Tue May 05, 2015 12:55 am

Well, since this topic has been hijacked enough, I'll through up this one post. Sad to see Microsoft saying WMC won't be in 10. But as other have pointed out WMC was also thought not to be in Windows 8 until a lot of people made noise over it so I would suggest everyone tear up the twitter accounts of @Microsoft, @satyanadella, & @GabeAul. To see if we can at least get a port of the windows 8.1 version.

noslack

Post by noslack » Tue May 05, 2015 1:17 am

Sharks wrote:Well, since this topic has been hijacked enough, I'll through up this one post. Sad to see Microsoft saying WMC won't be in 10. But as other have pointed out WMC was also thought not to be in Windows 8 until a lot of people made noise over it so I would suggest everyone tear up the twitter accounts of @Microsoft, @satyanadella, & @GabeAul. To see if we can at least get a port of the windows 8.1 version.
Thank you so much, let's not just be silent, do what we did before and make some noise....

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue May 05, 2015 2:46 am

Ed  wrote: What I found really interesting, was this bit of information from him:
Gabe Aul wrote:The main scenario people used WMC for was to play DVD. We'll provide another option for DVD playback in the future.

So, it seems (according to him - and he would know) out of the small subset that actually used WMC, it was an even smaller subset of that subset (i.e. - us) who used it for a DVR. I always knew/said - not everyone who is 'currently' using WMC uses it for DVR; but I always thought DVR usage/users were the statistical majority. Not people just using it to simply play DVDs. Like I said, very interesting.
That directly contradicts the information they gave in 2011 that said that TV was the most common use case, and that CD and DVD use was lower and declining: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsof ... uch-2011-9

And as I posted in response to that article and it's poor interpretation/exaggeration of "6% in July 2011" as meaning "6% ever", I believe the statistics gathered were low, because at the time I was getting frequent errors in the event log from the service that gathers the telemetry to send them failing on my WMC box.

So it seems to me far more likely that Gabe Aul does not "know" that Windows Media Center is not the same application as Windows Media Player. Nor, sadly, does most of Microsoft any more.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 2:48 am

I guess you'd just have to ask him to elaborate then, if you wanted.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue May 05, 2015 2:57 am

glugglug wrote:
Ed  wrote: What I found really interesting, was this bit of information from him:

That directly contradicts the information they gave in 2011 that said that TV was the most common use case, and that CD and DVD use was lower and declining: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsof ... uch-2011-9

And as I posted in response to that article and it's poor interpretation/exaggeration of "6% in July 2011" as meaning "6% ever", I believe the statistics gathered were low, because at the time I was getting frequent errors in the event log from the service that gathers the telemetry to send them failing on my WMC box.

So it seems to me far more likely that Gabe Aul does not "know" that Windows Media Center is not the same application as Windows Media Player. Nor, sadly, does most of Microsoft any more.
I agree 100%. There is some obfuscation as to why they are eliminating WMC. They are saying we are infinitesimally small group, but there are 3 small companies that will be damaged by this (loss of jobs), it is a ploy for their store & xbox one video streaming services, I also would not be surprised if the cable companies have backlashed due to the unwanted completion of DVR packages.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 3:21 am

glugglug wrote:So it seems to me far more likely that Gabe Aul does not "know" that Windows Media Center is not the same application as Windows Media Player. Nor, sadly, does most of Microsoft any more.
On a lighter note:

I would hope, for the love of God, they know the difference enough to not remove WMP out of Windows 10; when they say they're gonna remove WMC! Not having a native video media player in the OS would suck for lots and lots and lots of people! :lol:
Last edited by Ed  on Tue May 05, 2015 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue May 05, 2015 3:25 am

One thing that is also worth mentioning is that the native IR driver is a part of WMC. This will also cease to exist in windows 10.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue May 05, 2015 4:02 am

WMP is still in the preview builds of 10

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 4:11 am

RyC wrote:WMP is still in the preview builds of 10
I know, it was a joke :D
glugglug wrote:

Gabe Aul responded to you on twitter, asking if he had WMP and WMC confused when he said that :
Gabe Aul wrote: @glugalug No, not confused :)
https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/595437526388637697

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue May 05, 2015 4:23 am

Ed  wrote: I would hope, for the love of God, they know the difference enough to not remove WMP out of Windows 10; when they say they're gonna remove WMC! Not having a native video media player in the OS would suck for lots and lots and lots of people! :lol:
You mean like Windows 8?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 4:30 am

glugglug wrote:
Ed  wrote: I would hope, for the love of God, they know the difference enough to not remove WMP out of Windows 10; when they say they're gonna remove WMC! Not having a native video media player in the OS would suck for lots and lots and lots of people! :lol:
You mean like Windows 8?
I'm not sure what you mean; Windows Media Player is alive and kicking in Windows 8/8.1.

Oh, you mean Windows 8 irritated a lot of people :D

Yeah, some people got used to it though; with time. Some even had no problems from the start. Some people would rather die before they ever utter the word 'Metro' :!: :) It all depends.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue May 05, 2015 4:43 am

Ed  wrote:
glugglug wrote:
You mean like Windows 8?
I'm not sure what you mean; Windows Media Player is alive and kicking in Windows 8/8.1.

Oh, you mean Windows 8 irritated a lot of people :D

Yeah, some people got used to it though; with time. Some even had no problems from the start. Some people would rather die before they even utter the word 'Metro' :!: :) It all depends.
Windows Media Player is part of the same $10 option on Windows 8 Professional as WMC (It is NOT part of the standard Win8 install, and isn't available for home premium!). I doubt anyone paid the $10, because they wanted Windows Media Player, or better yet upgraded to Pro for it, when you could just download VLC for that functionality. So no, Windows 8(.1) does NOT have a media player built into the OS, unless you paid for the Windows Media Center option.