Official: No WMC in Win 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
cwinfield

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cwinfield » Sat May 02, 2015 7:47 pm

So when is someone going to post a Ceton files bankruptcy topic?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat May 02, 2015 7:58 pm

cwinfield wrote:So when is someone going to post a Ceton files bankruptcy topic?
lol :P

Gotta wonder though - what (if any) is their plan? There's no advancement/growth for them as a company (in the consumer market) if their strategy is to simply rely on the people who will remain with WMC/Win 7/Win 8.1.

I honestly believe the timing of all this - in regards to SD's DVR announcement - is indicative SD was informed/found out this was coming. You have to assume then Ceton does/did too (or they simply didn't attempt to find out - which would be worrying in itself).

Their long term and continued silence (especially on this) does not inspire much faith. That's my opinion at least.

I'm under the impression the one-two punch of the flop of the Echo (as a product line), along with the Gibson lawsuit, has done them in.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:28 pm

I still do not see anything official there. Not even definitive, except for Ed Bott's opinion.
In a private meeting this week at the Build developers' conference in San Francisco, a Microsoft executive confirmed to me that there will be no update to the company's Media Center software for Windows 10.
He was told there would not be an update for Media Center in Windows 10.
Well, there was no update for Media Center in Windows 8 either, but you are still able to install MC, and use it.

I dont even use Media Center myself, (although I do support it) but mis-inforformation bothers me.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat May 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Shark007 wrote:I still do not see anything official there. Not even definitive, except for Ed Bott's opinion.
Of course you don't. :roll:

Saying a Win exec told you/confirmed there will be no WMC with Win 10 is not opinion. It's a declaration of fact. And he didn't say this off the record. He published an article about this. If you wanna argue the wording he used to convey this; take it up with him. Him, and everyone here, knows the exact message he was conveying with this article. You are the only one here so far who thinks you can keep twisting this to support your claim/argument. The message is loud and clear. WMC is gone w/ Win 10.

I suppose this image:

is simply indicative of the installer's opinion as well; and not indicative of any confirmation from Microsoft either, correct?
Shark007 wrote:Well, there was no update for Media Center in Windows 8 either, but you are still able to install MC, and use it.
WMC was rebuilt/recompiled specifically for Win 8.1. This is evident by the WMC build number for Win 8.1 WMC vs. the build number for Win 7 WMC - along with the additional 2ft CC controls found in Win 8.1 WMC; which are not present in Win 7 WMC. That's definite proof the WMC in 8.1 was rebuilt/recompiled specifically for Win 8.1.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:31 pm

I have to say, on first blush of reading the "official" article I got the same message that shark did: that it wouldn't be updated, not that it wouldn't exist.

Of course, if the Win7 version can't simply be inserted directly into Win10, if it would require updating just to make the same functionality happen in Win10, then there's your answer.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat May 02, 2015 9:37 pm

adam1991 wrote:I have to say, on first blush of reading the "official" article I got the same message that shark did: that it wouldn't be updated, not that it wouldn't exist.
How would you explain the title of the article, or all this, as supporting the message 'it will be in there, but no updates to it'? :
enthusiasts have held out hope that the feature would get one more reprieve for Windows 10. Sorry, folks, that's not happening.
The decision is a disappointment to the small but incredibly vocal army of Media Center enthusiasts, who had held out hope that a Windows 10 Media Center add-on, similar to the one offered for Windows 8, might appear at the last minute. That's not happening.
Windows Media Center "isn't compatible with Windows 10," and it's not going to be.

I don't think you read the same article as me :P /s

noslack

Post by noslack » Sun May 03, 2015 12:48 am

Wow, the point is having a story that drives hits, and that story drove a lot of hits, but saying that we didn't read the same article as you is rude. NOBODY knows what is happening until the RTM is released and like everyone says, Win 8 was going to kill WMC and then didn't after the vocal outburst of loyal WMC fans, and taking one mans title of Win 10 WMC not upgraded to be not included is not able to be known at this point by ANYONE, including MS, as they can do the same thing as with Win 8, so please, your arrogance has no place here telling people that they can't read, or comprehend as well as you do, just stop!

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun May 03, 2015 12:56 am

noslack wrote:Wow, the point is having a story that drives hits, and that story drove a lot of hits, but saying that we didn't read the same article as you is rude. NOBODY knows what is happening until the RTM is released and like everyone says, Win 8 was going to kill WMC and then didn't after the vocal outburst of loyal WMC fans, and taking one mans title of Win 10 WMC not upgraded to be not included is not able to be known at this point by ANYONE, including MS, as they can do the same thing as with Win 8, so please, your arrogance has no place here telling people that they can't read, or comprehend as well as you do, just stop!
So, I assume you are stating that you believe Ed Bott is lying when he says this was said to him/confirmed by a Microsoft executive in that article? And he did this all for 'the clicks'?

And you are saying sbaeder's incompatibility notification upon attempting to upgrade is incorrect, or a fluke; and can't be reproduced?

Am I correct in all that?

noslack

Post by noslack » Sun May 03, 2015 1:13 am

Really Ed? A beta build notification is not proof of anything, and the God Ed Bott isn't lying, he just made a mint in ad revenue for his company from the views while not ever saying that WMC was confirmed dead for Win 10, just that "In a private meeting this week at the Build developers' conference in San Francisco, a Microsoft executive confirmed to me that there will be no update to the company's Media Center software for Windows 10." That says what in your ability to read more than we can and comprehend more than we can? You really think that what he wrote so carefully to not be a lie but get money from people jumping all over it and running to the page from Ad's, says anything that proves there will be a death sentence for WMC? Sorry Ed, Bott is not above reproach, and neither are you....

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:49 am

Ed, right now noslack's statement of fact gives him more credibility than your snark little gif there.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:43 am

Exactly. If that's all you have to offer as a response, you look--to be kind--rather silly.

To be kind.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun May 03, 2015 2:45 am

Well, you feel I just look '--to be kind-- rather silly', I feel you all just have your heads in the sand. I mean, you select few won't admit it's over, or coming to an end, until the Windows flag itself personally uninstalls WMC from your computers it seems. Probably not even then.

But, just gonna have to agree to disagree I guess. Though, I can live just fine with looking '--to be kind-- rather silly'. So I don't even disagree with that :D

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun May 03, 2015 4:02 am

to be kind.

jwckauman

Post by jwckauman » Sun May 03, 2015 4:05 am

Terrible news. Microsoft makes the worst decisions sometimes. Zune had it all and they destroyed it and dumbed it down to the stone ages. Windows Media Center is a dream product. I have never seen love for a piece of corporate software like I have with WMC. And it works! If anyone has any ideas on how to bug Microsoft like they did back in Windows 8 days, please post. I'll join in on the protesting.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun May 03, 2015 4:08 am

adam1991 wrote:to be kind.
Gosh, you flatter me so <3 <3 <3 Do we got a little love connection going on here? <3<3<3 :D
jwckauman wrote:Terrible news. Microsoft makes the worst decisions sometimes. Zune had it all and they destroyed it and dumbed it down to the stone ages. Windows Media Center is a dream product. I have never seen love for a piece of corporate software like I have with WMC. And it works! If anyone has any ideas on how to bug Microsoft like they did back in Windows 8 days, please post. I'll join in on the protesting.
Yeah, I see a lot of similarity between the Zune and WMC products in community/affection for the product. Gotta wonder, how Microsoft can keep knocking it out of the park in terms of products; and yet keeps losing the game (or do they just walk out halfway into the game and never return?) :wtf:

I guess you could try twitter and their forums to voice your displeasure.

joshpollard

Post by joshpollard » Mon May 04, 2015 7:58 pm

For the record, I have a source inside Microsoft who told me a few weeks ago the same thing that Ed Bott is reporting. Windows Media Center won't be available to install in Windows 10, and upgrading a Windows 7 or 8 machine with WMC already installed will result in a Windows 10 machine that doesn't include Media Center.

http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2015 ... ia-center/
Josh Pollard
Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP
The Digital Media Zone - http://theDigitalMediaZone.com

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 pm

It really makes you wonder... As WMC users seem to be very loyal to their systems and depend or use them a lot. Wonder if MS ever thought it would be like this ?

They publicly said (forget where), about 10% of Windows 8.1 users purchased or got (free at the time) Windows Media Center Pack. This is 10%, that still is a lot of users (not all people just downloaded it because it was a free item). When you think about it, WIndows Phone sits around 2.5% of the market, yea, it's a larger share amount (8.1 didn't do that well on a global scale) but, still 2.5%, so let me guess, they are going to dump the towel on that too because it's not a huge marketplace ?

Now, when Windows 7 came out, if they put some funding behind it, really showed what it could do, promote it like the Xbox is (or even a Surface tablet), do you think it would of done well ? Do we think the market is ready ?

When it comes down to it, you don't even need a new computer, WMC can run in the background on your desktop computer, run 360's around your house, you have WIndows 7 on a desktop computer, your almost 1/2 way there..

It was never promoted like it should of been, it could of been SO MUCH more but, like other products Microsoft seems to have a knack at screwing up (over the years there as been some good ones), Media Center is another victim of this.

No matter how large MS is, there is always one team that screws it up....

F U MS...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

noslack

Post by noslack » Mon May 04, 2015 8:18 pm

joshpollard wrote:For the record, I have a source inside Microsoft who told me a few weeks ago the same thing that Ed Bott is reporting. Windows Media Center won't be available to install in Windows 10, and upgrading a Windows 7 or 8 machine with WMC already installed will result in a Windows 10 machine that doesn't include Media Center.

Again? Is this the Ed Snowden contest? Your source confirmed that a clean install would have WMC but an upgrade wouldn't on WIn 10? STOPPPPPPPPPPPP!

noslack

Post by noslack » Mon May 04, 2015 8:22 pm

joshpollard wrote:For the record, I have a source inside Microsoft who told me a few weeks ago the same thing that Ed Bott is reporting. Windows Media Center won't be available to install in Windows 10, and upgrading a Windows 7 or 8 machine with WMC already installed will result in a Windows 10 machine that doesn't include Media Center.

Josh, and your article? I just read it and you have SKU's? Really? We don't have an RTM but YOU have SKU's? Like I said, stop the BS and step up and be honest, you just want to jump on the ad revenue of getting extra hits for a patently false misleading story, Huh? STOPPPPPPP!

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Mon May 04, 2015 8:47 pm

I mean, of course something could always change between now and RTM, but if somebody wants clicks, they probably aren't going to write an article about Windows Media Center.