Official: No WMC in Win 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Official: No WMC in Win 10

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Stole this from over on AVS Forums :
Is Media Center supported in Windows 10?
No. Persons who need to use Media Center should consider carefully before upgrading from their previous version of Windows. The Windows 10 upgrade will automatically remove any installations of Media Center.

So what are the alternatives if I need Media Center?
* Your best option is to continue running your existing version of Windows with Media Center.
* Windows 7 editions that include Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2020.
* Windows 8 Pro with Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2023.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... f4b7ed2fb9
Last edited by Ed  on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:08 pm

Yeah... tried to tell people this a few months ago.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 940#p84940

Hey, at least they gave us dates on support for windows 7 and 8. 2023 is a pretty good length of time for a new dvr to develop...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:10 pm

makryger wrote:Yeah... tried to tell people this a few months ago.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 940#p84940

Hey, at least they gave us dates on support for windows 7 and 8. 2023 is a pretty good length of time for a new dvr to develop...
Eh, while it does give people ammo to assume that's how long WMC guide data will be supported - they specifically only say that the operating systems themselves will be supported for that long; not WMC/guide data specifically. WMC is not the base OS. That, along with the EULA of WMC - gives them an out to stop paying for/providing guide data anytime before the base OS EOL. They carefully word shit like that for that exact reason. They still could nix guide data tomorrow if they wanted. Just like they removed the Sports Strip and internet TV plugins before the EOL of the base operating systems; because they didn't wanna continue paying for sports data/video content.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:14 pm

Ed  wrote:...They still could nix guide data tomorrow if they wanted....
I highly doubt they would. Worst case: third party guide, no biggie.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Their definition of "supported" is a bit suspect. They're just giving us the End of Life dates for Win 7 and 8. Whoopty do!!!
If by support, they mean that they won't kill the guide updates, then I'm cool with that. But let's not forget that they have slowly been stripping pieces of Media Center away one at a time. I actually got use out of the Sports strip that was removed over a year ago. What do they strip out of it next?
I'm sure MS is less than thrilled with the idea that they have to "support" WMC until 2023, which is why I believe they will continue to irritate the WMC population to the point where they just want to give up and use something else. How often and how loud do we have to scream every time the guide updates get jacked up? I'm not one to wear a tin-foil hat, but if you don't want to support anything anymore - you make it suck just enough to make people stop using it.

But, to be honest, I would have been stunned if WMC made it into Windows 10. We were lucky to get it in Win 8/8.1. Only thing left to say is - save us Silicondust!

Edit: I saw Ed's 2nd post after I submitted mine. We were thinking the same thing.
Last edited by UCBearcat on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:19 pm

STC wrote:
Ed  wrote:...They still could nix guide data tomorrow if they wanted....
I highly doubt they would. Worst case: third party guide, no biggie.
I doubted they would remove the Sports Strip from WMC too; until they did.

Plus, any way to get 3rd party guide data into WMC is not automated IIRC. Means you have to remember to update/integrate your guide data from the provider every so often (just before/every 2 weeks I believe). Might not be much, but still means time hunched over a keyboard having to fiddle with the HTPC every so often; with no end in sight for that. And if you forget to, or go on vacation for longer than that amount of time, you're SOL and will have no guide data/missed recordings. Not very optimal IMO.

UCBearcat wrote:Their definition of "supported" is a bit suspect. They're just giving us the End of Life dates for Win 7 and 8. Whoopty do!!!
Exactly, and as I mentioned: it's worded like that specifically to give them an out anytime they want.

Edit:
UCBearcat wrote:Edit: I saw Ed's 2nd post after I submitted mine. We were thinking the same thing.
:D :P

STC

Post by STC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:29 pm

The Sports Strip was US specific and certainly not a main component in WMC. The guide function is.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 pm

STC wrote:The Sports Strip was US specific and certainly not a main component in WMC. The guide function is.
Well, for your sake, let's hope the optimistic assumption that OS support = guide data support holds true.

As UCBearcat mentioned; once SD's solution is good enough (can't say when that will be till it's out) - I'm retiring WMC for good.
Last edited by Ed  on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Ed  wrote:Stole this from over on AVS Forums :
No. Persons who need to use Media Center should consider carefully before upgrading from their previous version of Windows. The Windows 10 upgrade will automatically remove any installations of Media Center.

* Your best option is to continue running your existing version of Windows with Media Center.
* Windows 7 editions that include Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2020.
* Windows 8 Pro with Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2023.
I fail to see what is 'Official' about a Wiki post by a non Microsoft Employee, Andre Da Costa
It is just his opinion, nothing more.

EDIT: I just install Windows 10, build 10074 with Media Center and MC functions just fine.
LINKED <--- for reference to WMC in current Windows 10 distributions
Last edited by Shark007 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Shark007 wrote:
Ed  wrote:Stole this from over on AVS Forums :

I fail to see what is 'Official' about a Wiki post by a non Microsoft Employee, Andre Da Costa
It is just his opinion, nothing more.
Fair argument to make; but do you think Microsoft would allow misinformation to stay up on their own wiki? I've edited the title until (if) confirmation for you :P But, keep holding onto that hope :D
Shark007 wrote:EDIT: I just install Windows 10, build 10074 with Media Center and MC functions just fine.
In a non-supported/non-official configuration; sure. Lots of discontinued/unsupported software can still be installed on Win 10.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Ed  wrote:In a non-supported/non-official configuration; sure. Lots of discontinued/unsupported software can still be installed on Win 10.
It may be 'non-supported' but is certainly official.
The binaries are compiled and distributed by Microsoft with the same version number as the distributed Operating System.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 pm

Shark007 wrote:
Ed  wrote:In a non-supported/non-official configuration; sure. Lots of discontinued/unsupported software can still be installed on Win 10.
It may be 'non-supported' but is certainly official.
The binaries are compiled and distributed by Microsoft with the same version number of the Operating System.
And that's not official, a 'Win 10 w/ WMC edition' product is official. Tell me then, what your Win OS edition is labeled as in Winver after installing 8 WMC? Getting Win 10 into installing Win 8 WMC results in a non-supported AND non-official configuration.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Ed  wrote:And that's not official, a 'Win 10 w/ WMC edition' is official. Tell me then, what your Win OS edition is labeled as in Winver after installing 8 WMC? Getting Win 10 into installing Win 8 WMC results in a non-supported AND non-official configuration.
The binaries are freshly compiled and distributed with each release of the operating system.
They are included in the install.wim file in any officially distributed Pro versions of Windows 10 so far.
How is that not official?
I am not doing anything nefarious to perform the installation.
I am using Microsoft provided tools and keys to allow the installation to occur.
Last edited by Shark007 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Shark007 wrote:
Ed  wrote:And that's not official, a 'Win 10 w/ WMC edition' is official. Tell me then, what your Win OS edition is labeled as in Winver after installing 8 WMC? Getting Win 10 into installing Win 8 WMC results in a non-supported AND non-official configuration.
The binaries are freshly compiled and distributed with each release of the operating system.
They are included in the install.wim file in any officially distributed versions of Windows 10 so far.
How is that not official?
I am not doing anything nefarious to perform the installation.
I am using Microsoft provide tools keys to allow the installation to occur.
What's your OS labeled in Winver after installing WMC?

For anyone who doesn't know: It will be labeled 'Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center operating system'. I'd call that a non-official configuration then for Win 10. Like I said, a 'Windows 10 Pro with Media Center operating system' product would be official. What you have is not.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:09 pm

Ed  wrote:What's your OS labeled in Winver after installing WMC?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:10 pm

Exactly - it says precisely what I said it does.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:06 pm

All this in a forum where people say "they announced today they've stopped developing it, therefore I must uninstall it immediately because it's dead and therefore has exactly zero use to me from this moment on".

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:35 pm

adam1991 wrote:All this in a forum where people say "they announced today they've stopped developing it, therefore I must uninstall it immediately because it's dead and therefore has exactly zero use to me from this moment on".
Some people absolutely feel that way.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Fri May 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Silicondust and Ceton should have been briefed by Microsoft on their plans for Windows 10.

If Microsoft decided not to continue WMC in Windows 10, for those companies to continue selling tuner products, that were primarily being used with WMC, they have 3 options - license WMC from Microsoft (and invest in maintaining it), develop their own DVR software and become independent from WMC, or shift to selling products for a different target market.

If Microsoft briefed their WMC partners that WMC was not going to be in Windows 10, then SD's new DVR project makes a lot of sense...

What's interesting with the SD product strategy is the potential for them not only to have a WMC replacement with their DVR software, but with the flexibility to run on multiple platforms, they could actually become a serious competitor to Tivo...

Of course, at this point, the SD DVR software is still vaporware - and at this pre-release stage, it's easy to assume the product will be all things for all people - and we won't really know how useful the product will be until it has been released - and people are using it... Though I've already made my Kickstarter commitment and have my fingers crossed that I can replace WMC with the new DVR software -and use it on all of my TVs - using my existing hardware (PC and multiple Xbox 360s).

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:25 pm

What I like the best about this thread is that before I posted in it, the thread title was "Its Official: No WMC in Win 10"
At least the title had been editted to be truthful.