Can I pause my TV Scheduled Shows to allow Recording Movies?

ZippyTheChicken

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can I pause my TV Scheduled Shows to allow Recording Movies?

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:55 pm

hey I don't know if other people have this problem but I am on basic cable and I have loaded up my TV Scheduled Shows pretty high..

Right now I have over 150 shows in the schedule... many don't have new shows and are sitting dormant.. others might record 5 shows a day across different networks while I am compiling all the reruns of old shows... and some are just recording new shows...

So my schedule is not only completely full there are lots of conflicts that will eventually work their way out once all the old episodes of a show have been recorded....

The reason I have so many is that I started recording New and Reruns .. then i set them to New only .. then back to New and Rerun and I ended up having reruns that were already recorded .. recorded again...

If I cancel a show and re-add it my history does not work and old shows previously recorded get recorded again and thats a waste of recording time when i could be getting a show I don't have.

Why am I recording the world?.. because...

Anyway I have not been recording Movies because

Whenever I have more than 2 conflicts in a time period and I try to Resolve the conflicts .. WMC Crashes

The only way I can schedule a Movie is go in and manually select Do Not Record from my Schedule for the whole area around the movie and then add the movie...

Its really not an easy thing to do.

If I have 2 or less conflicts I can resolve the conflict normally... its WMC being buggy.

Anyway since I am mostly recording old reruns because most of the shows are ending their seasons I want to record a few weeks straight of nothing but movies.. I want to get however many I can for that time and fill the schedule with all the movies I can.

So ........ I would like to pause the shows without removing them and without adjusting the New + Rerun setting .. so once I go back to recording TV Shows primarily .. It won't record shows I already have.

Anyone with any idea on this..

I know I shouldn't have this problem but I do because WMC is buggy whenever there is more than 2 conflicts.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Sounds like the ultimate solution is to get more tuners. But for now, change the times/channels to minimize conflicts. Change ones that rerun a lot to only record at specific times in the wee hours, i.e., Daily Show. Change ones that show new on one channel and reruns on another (syndicated) to only record on the syndicated channel to effectively stop them from recording, assuming you already have all the reruns, i.e., Seinfeld.

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:25 pm

aaaaaah airtime setting...
Thanks for the suggestion I will tell you how it goes.

Welp just saw that airtime setting is only available within times the show airs.

so if it never airs at 4am .. you cant set it to 4am to turn off the recording...
you can only select one of the times that the show airs...

still might be helpful
but I wonder if altering any of those settings
will make it rerecord shows already recorded
once i turn it back to anytime
blah
dang you microsoft why did you stop development of this software

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:58 pm

I've changed it many times, and it has not lost track of what's already been recorded. So you should be fine.

You're right that you can only pick valid air times, but picking off peak times helps you spread the load on your tuners for fewer conflicts. Also comes in handy for programs where the new/rerun flag is never right, like most things on BBCA, since even new shows are marked as rerun by the time they air in the US.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:39 am

The history of recorded episodes for each series is associated with the Series record. You should be able to change the "Show type" from "New & rerun" to "New" and back again without losing that history, however if you delete the Series and then recreate it, the history is gone and it may re-record episodes you already had recorded with your old Series.

Another way you can "turn off" a Series without deleting it is to set "Channels" to "SD only" (assuming you only have HD channels enabled in your lineup, or vice-versa if you only have SD channels active). Note that if an episode is not marked as HD even though it is on an HD channel it will be considered SD, so it does not work 100% if you have SD shows on an HD channel or HD shows on a HD channel that are incorrectly marked as SD.