HDR Kickstarter is doing well, let MS know we want WMC back!

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDR Kickstarter is doing well, let MS know we want WMC back!

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:28 pm

I sent a tweet to a bunch of people. With the HDhomerun product doing well so far on Kicstarter, I think MS should know that WMC could be successful of redone...

https://twitter.com/TheCoolDave/status/ ... 8821219328

Re-tweet ! Maybe someone will read it...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Unfortunately no matter how success Silicondust will be in raising funds and selling their new DVR product, this will probably always be such a small percentage of Windows customers that Microsoft won't be able to justify putting a new team together to evolve WMC - unless Microsoft decides having this functionality is of strategic value - as part of their "Windows everywhere" goals.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:56 pm

At this point, as far as Microsoft is concerned, I'm hoping the Xbox One continues to develop tuner capabilities. At least it's an actively developed system with a lot of potential.

Woland

Post by Woland » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:44 pm

bob_p wrote:Unfortunately no matter how success Silicondust will be in raising funds and selling their new DVR product, this will probably always be such a small percentage of Windows customers that Microsoft won't be able to justify putting a new team together to evolve WMC - unless Microsoft decides having this functionality is of strategic value - as part of their "Windows everywhere" goals.
Agreed, Microsoft is currently going all out trying to grab more of the humungous phone market. I think the best concession we can hope for is that they enable Media Center (as is, and for a fee) in Windows 10. It would appease some users and get them to upgrade to Windows 10, but it wouldn't cost Microsoft a lot of effort. Maybe CableCard tuning and DVR functions will get folded into the Xbox One at some point. That would be really cool to me, as it would mean I could eliminate my HTPC and just have an Xbox One. And I suppose it could be a differentiator between Xbox and PS4. Still, I don't know that Microsoft would see that effort as worthwhile. It is just such a tiny market.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Why would I ask Microsoft? It's like asking an old girlfriend to come back to you, when another one is knocking on your door. You cry "But I love WMC!" Sorry bud. Windows. Does. Not. Love. You.

Meanwhile: companies like SIliconDust WANT to give us cablecard/OTA DVR capability. They WANT to support it on platforms like AndroidTV. Google has been working with SiliconDust for months. There is actually potential for an all-in-one device that will let us watch/record/playback OTA+copy-once cable + local media + Netflix/Hulu/GooglePlay etc.

If that comes to pass, and if anyone sells a remote that controls it and can power on my TV/turn up my receiver's volume then holy cow, it will dominate every DIY HTPC setup. I suppose we may not even call them HTPCs anymore.