Media Foundation when using WMC on Extenders

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Wilky13

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Foundation when using WMC on Extenders

Post by Wilky13 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:52 pm

In order for LAV Filters to take control of MP4 files in Windows 7, Win7DSFilterTweaker must be used to un-associate MP4 files with Microsoft Media Foundation (see attachment). This allows LAV Splitter to control playback of MP4s in Windows 7 and push the audio stream to LAV Audio to allow bit streaming to an AVR.

This works great on the host PC. However, by disabling Media Foundation for MP4s on the host PC, it causes attached extenders (like the Xbox 360) to not recognize the MP4 file during playback using WMC on the extender, forcing the host PC to transode the file for playback on the extender. (of note, this only happens in the WMC mode of the extender, using the Xbox Video App has no issues). The transcoded video quality is very poor.

Would it be possible for not only the host PC to utilize LAV during WMC playback but also any extenders? If not, is there a way to have Media Foundation enabled for MP4s on extenders but not on the host PC?

The link below has more background and images from this issue:
http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index. ... w-quality/
Attachments
Media Foundation Tweak.png

rfranzke

Post by rfranzke » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:24 am

I known this is an old thread, but I am also running into this same issue. Has anyone come up with a way for this to work?

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:08 am

I ended up NOT disabling Media Foundation on the host PC for mp4's in order to get quality playback on the extenders.

In order to still get bitsteaming on the host PC I use MPC-HC. It has "internal" LAV filters during playback that can be manipulated when files are played in MPC-HC only and thus do not effect the extenders. You can set Media Browser to use/open MPC-HC whenever you play a file and close it automatically when done. The only thing I don't like about MPC-HC is skip forward and fast-forward don't work like they do in WMC.