What are the ideal settings for WMC for use with extenders?

lonepalm

HTPC Specs: Show details

What are the ideal settings for WMC for use with extenders?

Post by lonepalm » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:05 pm

So, for a quick run-down of my setup, I'll list it here:

1 PC not connected to any TVs
1 Ceton infinitv 6 eth tuner
2 Xbox 360 extenders used for 2 TVs
2 MoCa adapters to connect the Xbox extenders to the network

So, my question is, what are the ideal settings for "normal" or "optimal" operation of WMC? Some of the things I am looking to have answered (but would certainly love to hear more tips and tricks) are:

1. Do I need to use Away mode in order to be able to use the extenders and/or record programs successfully? I'd prefer to have my computer completely sleeping when not recording or extenders not in use. Away mode prevents my computer from fully sleeping.
2. Does MST (MCE Standby Tool) actually work or add any value to Windows 8.1? If so, what are the recommended settings?

Thanks all. As said previously, I'd love to hear any advice you have to offer either on the above questions or just on setup things in general.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:07 pm

1. Some people use Away mode to prevent someone from accidentally turning off or putting to sleep their PC via remote or power button. But I find it unnecessary and often prevents sleeping as you've discovered. I say don't use it.

2. MST works to solve some sleep/wake issues as it has many more options than native sleep related settings in Windows. But I don't need it in my system either. Only use it if you are having issues. Recommended settings are on the MST website.

Your extenders will wake your PC via LAN (if enabled in device manager), so no worries there. PC will also wake on its own to record without using Away

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:11 pm

mdavej wrote:1. Some people use Away mode to prevent someone from accidentally turning off or putting to sleep their PC via remote or power button. But I find it unnecessary and often prevents sleeping as you've discovered. I say don't use it.

2. MST works to solve some sleep/wake issues as it has many more options than native sleep related settings in Windows. But I don't need it in my system either. Only use it if you are having issues. Recommended settings are on the MST website.

Your extenders will wake your PC via LAN (if enabled in device manager), so no worries there. PC will also wake on its own to record without using Away
Thanks! So, I had previously tried to disable away mode and let the computer go into sleep. Then, I turn on the extender(s) and they don't start because they can't find the WMC PC. Perhaps waking the PC via LAN was not enabled? Would you be able to explain to me how to get there? If I just go in to device manager, do I just look for the extenders or do I look for something different (network card, etc)?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:36 pm

In device manager, go to Network Adapters, click on yours, go to Power Management, and check all 3 boxes. If that doesn't do it, you may have to change a setting in your BIOS.