Recorded TV on other devices?

Bryan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded TV on other devices?

Post by Bryan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:41 pm

Assuming I don't care about the extender experience, is it possible to play recorded shows without copy protection on other devices like a Roku? Since we cut the cord, we barely watch live TV and only record a handful OTA, with Netflix being the primary video source. I'm finding the 360 extenders I'm using now aren't that great at that, especially in bedrooms where I'd rather not have something that big. I don't mind not having the interface or anything, I'd just like to be able to pull up a recorded show once in a while, without having to convert the file to something else.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Yes, it's possible, but the Roku doesn't support decoding MPEG2 encodings (most WMC recordings). You will have to install Plex Media Server on your WMC system, which has a built-in transcoder, then purchase the Plex app for Roku ($5). Once you get it all setup, it works great.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:20 pm

I've done this as well, just to see how it worked. Just be aware it takes a pretty powerful server to get smooth, high quality video.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Is there another device that would work without transcoding? The Rokus look nice but it doesn't have to be anything in particular. Plex is an option, though I would probably drop MB3 if I did that.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:57 pm

There are probably tons of options I'm not aware of. But Kodi on any platform (android, windows, linux, OpenELEC, etc.) should work fine. So Pi, NUC, whatever. I assume that you want wtv file playback AND Netflix. That's where you'll have to do some research to see what does both. Personally I use Echoes for TV and a smart TV, Roku or BD player for streaming (Netflix, etc.). I only use Roku/Plex for wtv files in a pinch. MB3 also stinks on Roku, in my experience. Pi was a nice little experiment and worked fairly well, but I still prefer WMC to Kodi, especially for live/recorded TV.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:27 am

Yeah, the goal was one device for both. I could just add a Roku Stick or similar and keep the 360, but the size and noise makes a Roku, AppleTV, or whatever more attractive. I already found MB3 won't do .wtv.

I figured it'd be a long shot, but worth checking.