Videos don't play off of new USB drive

seanbperiod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Videos don't play off of new USB drive

Post by seanbperiod » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:02 am

Having a very weird issue. Videos won't play in WMC/WMP/Plex after I transferred them from another USB drive. However, they do play in VLC. AND if I transfer a video file from one drive to another, it will play on that drive. I first thought it was a codec issue, so I uninstalled all codecs and reinstalled, tried different packs, and same results.

No official error comes up. In WMC, I just get a loading bubble, or a blue or black screen. Oddly, in Plex, videos will begin to play, but SUPER choppy, like 1 frame/sec and with no sound.

I thought it might be a permissions issue, but everything "appears" to be ok..

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:28 pm

Is the drive plugged into a USB hub or directly into the PC? Have you tried different USB slots on the PC? You could try turning off USB selective suspend and see if that helps. Are you using the original USB cable that came with the drive?
newfiend

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:25 am

Just turned off selective suspend, but that didn't seem to help. Not plugged into a hub, using original cable and tried changing slot.

If I try to play a video via MC/WMP it's like the drive just freezes. I checked taskmgr, but there's no CPU spikes or anything. I can run games off of it, and again, play the same files with VLC.

It is a USB 3.0 external, but plugged into my Mac Mini that only supports USB 2.0 I feel like that shouldn't be an issue, as the drive is backwards compatibe.

Any other suggestions?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:44 am

Latest Mainboard Bios installed? Checked for updated USB Drivers for your mainboard as well?

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:01 am

I use a Mac Mini, so there are no drivers to upgrade. It just appears like the codecs don't want to decode from that drive. Although, they do scan and read the files for thumbnails, just when playing in WMP/MC it doesn't play.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:38 pm

What container are the files in? .mp4, .mkv etc..?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Silly idea (I can't see how it could possibly help since vlc plays back OK): maybe run a chdsk on the drive?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:00 am

Already tried CHKDSK :)

The file containers are avi/mkv. Some mp4 play fine, although there is a slight delay before they actually play.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:18 am

seanbperiod wrote:Already tried CHKDSK :)

The file containers are avi/mkv. Some mp4 play fine, although there is a slight delay before they actually play.
Are you using a codec pack? and if so what one?

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:21 am

First I wasn't using a codec pack, just separate codecs for what I needed..

Then uninstalled, and installed CCCP. No luck. Uninstalled.

Installed Shark007. No luck. Uninstalled.

Installed klite codecs. No luck. Uninstalled.

Every pack had the same results. Videos play fine on all other drives, except this one USB drive.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:16 am

seanbperiod wrote:First I wasn't using a codec pack, just separate codecs for what I needed..

Then uninstalled, and installed CCCP. No luck. Uninstalled.

Installed Shark007. No luck. Uninstalled.

Installed klite codecs. No luck. Uninstalled.

Every pack had the same results. Videos play fine on all other drives, except this one USB drive.
Is this a Flash USB Drive or a External HDD with USB connection? Sorry for all the questions.. =)

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:18 am

3TB USB 3.0 External hard drive plugged into legacy USB 2.0

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:26 am

seanbperiod wrote:3TB USB 3.0 External hard drive plugged into legacy USB 2.0
Ok, this is a shot in the dark but lets check anyway.. you said the files were transferred from one drive to this new drive.. I have (from time to time) seen windows block files that came from another PC.. (or drive in this case) open one of the movie folders in windows explorer and right click the actual movie file itself and select properties.. At the bottom of the properties window on the General Tab does it say the file is blocked? If so click the button to "unblock" it.
Then try to play that file in WMP/WMC.

If it's not that post back.
newfiend~

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:43 am

Nope doesn't say blocked. I've checked permissions and they all appear to be normal.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:09 am

seanbperiod wrote:Nope doesn't say blocked. I've checked permissions and they all appear to be normal.
Ok What brand/model # External HDD?

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:13 am

seagate STDT3000100

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 pm

some more specifics. i just tried different file formats from explorer and opening them in windows media player.

MKV, M4V play fine with just a slight delay
MP4 plays, but with a much longer delay
WMV doesn't play and I get an error saying that the files are not in the correct format for the extension.
AVI freezes the player

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:49 pm

With all the codec packs you have installed/removed it is possible that the Microsoft codecs have been disabled and replaced with other codec pack codecs. You can use this utility to set everything back to Microsoft codecs and try the problem files again. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... aker).html
I usually install LAV filters and followed the setup from here http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc-tips-and-tw ... subtitles/ it works great for just about any file except files with multi channel AAC audio. Most of my files are .mkv with AC3 and DTS audio tracks and this worked great for me. The win7dsfiltertweaker will let you see what codecs are currently selected for decoding your files. Try setting them to the Microsoft decoders and playing the files again. If that doesn't work try installing LAV and following the guide from the HTPC.net and see if the files work then.

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:01 pm

Update!
So after playing around with Shark007, I got AVIs to play!
I just had to use the Gabest Splitter and disable Media Foundation for AVI.
Still can't get WMVs to play.

Thanks newfiend. I'm going to take a look at that tweaker tool. Again though, it's just super weird that the files will play fine on any other drive but this new one and only in Windows Media Player. I copy them from the drive in question to either the C drive or another external where I have movies stored.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:31 pm

seanbperiod wrote:Update!
So after playing around with Shark007, I got AVIs to play!
I just had to use the Gabest Splitter and disable Media Foundation for AVI.
Still can't get WMVs to play.

Thanks newfiend. I'm going to take a look at that tweaker tool. Again though, it's just super weird that the files will play fine on any other drive but this new one and only in Windows Media Player. I copy them from the drive in question to either the C drive or another external where I have movies stored.
Run the Tweaker tool and select Prefered decoders button.
Scroll both lists (Left is 32bit decoders for use in WMP) (Right is 64bit decoders for use in WMC)if you are using Windows 7 x64bit OS.
Check to see that decoder is currently selected for .WMV files. Change it to Microsoft if it is set on another codec for both 32bit and 64bit decoders. Then click Apply and Close then close the Tweaker tool and try playing the files again.
newfiend~