Rebuild of WMC PC killed Dolby 5.1 on Xbox 360

scoobybri

HTPC Specs: Show details

Rebuild of WMC PC killed Dolby 5.1 on Xbox 360

Post by scoobybri » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:10 pm

I recently decided to combine a file server with my WMC PC so I am not running 2 PCs when I really only need one. I've been using an Xbox 360 as an extender and over the air TV shows record and play in Dolby 5.1 through my Sony receiver. Been working that way for awhile. So in doing my PC consolidation, i decided to use my server hardware since it is a bit more beefy then my WMC PC. I backed up all current recordings to an external HD. I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate on the new WMC PC. Configured WMC and copied the recordings fomnthe old PC to the new one's recordings folder. Fired up WMC on the PC and the recordings are there are viewable. Reran the extender setup and WMC shows up with all of the recordings. But when I play the old recordings, I get only the surround sound coming through the front speakers. Sounds bound for the center channel or front right/left are gone. If i force the receiver into 2 channel stereo, sound comes from the front left/right and I can help at dialogue, etc. Checked that the Xbox is set for Dolby Digital which it was. Played a game and it is using Dolby 5.1 with sound going to all speakers. I thought that it may be an issue with the different sound chip in the server PC as opposed to the original WMC PC. Reinstalled Windows 7 on the original WMC hardware and configured Media Center/moved old recordings to the PC. Reran the extender setup on the Xbox to attach to the new/old WMC. Sound is exactly the same through the Xbox. Surround signal coming through the front left/right and nothing else.

I'm perplexed. Using the same exact hardware(or different) but with a fresh install of Windows kills Dolby 5.1 on my saved recordings. I've verified that I have that latest drivers for the Realtek soumy old chip set on the PC.

Any ideas?

Brian

scoobybri

Post by scoobybri » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:50 pm

The most humble pie is being eaten by me right about now. I voluntarily strip myself of the title "Electronics guru" that was given to me by friends, family, and coworkers who I've helped over the years. After spending 10+ hours beating my head against a wall, I found that one of the leads to my center channel had pulled off the back of the speaker. No wonder I was not hearing any dialog (or anything) through the center channel. Over-analyzing things lead me down a rabbit hole of trying to fix things at the highest level rather than looking at something simple like "is the speaker actually connected?" Duh!

Lesson learned. Now I can enjoy my Xmas. ;-)

Happy holidays to all,
Brian

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:36 pm

scoobybri wrote:The most humble pie is being eaten by me right about now. I voluntarily strip myself of the title "Electronics guru" that was given to me by friends, family, and coworkers who I've helped over the years. After spending 10+ hours beating my head against a wall, I found that one of the leads to my center channel had pulled off the back of the speaker. No wonder I was not hearing any dialog (or anything) through the center channel. Over-analyzing things lead me down a rabbit hole of trying to fix things at the highest level rather than looking at something simple like "is the speaker actually connected?" Duh!

Lesson learned. Now I can enjoy my Xmas. ;-)

Happy holidays to all,
Brian
Hey.. We have all been there.. Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked as we tend to expect the worst as it couldn't be as simple as a loose wire.. Glad you got it sorted. Happy Holidays! :thumbup: