WMC stutters on hyper-v

kokorib

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC stutters on hyper-v

Post by kokorib » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:23 am

I tried various hypervisors to set up a WMC based HTPC. I settled on hyper-V. I am running into an issue that drives me crazy. I am using Ceton extenders.
Live TV is perfect including protected channels. Same channels when recorded and played back stutter. A second long lapse every 20 sec or so. Very annoying.
I can't comprehend what it is that only affects recorded content (protected or not) and live channels work perfectly well. I tried saving to SSD, HDD- makes no difference.
Any ideas?

brendabryg

Post by brendabryg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:49 pm

kokorib

Post by kokorib » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 pm

brendabryg wrote:Check out this 2yr old thread

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=2095
Yes, I did. I am still at square one though.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:23 am

You need to monitor your HHD through put. The VM will need to write and that is when you get the Pause in recorded TV i would bet. The drive could be being used by the Main PC and the VM OS's at the same time the WMC recording it trying to write to it depending on your setup.
I had a VM running in VMware that i used as a WMC for a few ECHO's also. It worked ok but i had trouble with the ECHO getting corrupted when i exited without doing a full shutdown of the ECHO. I would get "Recovering echo" when i powered them back on. When i reported it to Ceton and they looked at the logs, they complain about me using a VM, and said it is not supported.

I was doing this in a VM because i had a media center PC running win 8.1 and the ceton would not work with that OS. I have now got a Win 7 PC for $200 that i use as a HTPC and for the ECHO's to connect too.

kokorib

Post by kokorib » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:17 am

I gave up on this setup and went back to ESXi. I like hyper-v a lot but this issue left me with no hair.
I tried different media including an SSD and a separate designated drive. Heck I tried a RAM-based drive- same issue. Tried emulated scsi and ide, network drives. Also, how much writing is done while watching recorded TV? Never had any problem with live TV, which is buffered on the fly, I believe, on the disk. A very peculiar issue.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:16 am

Yes ESXi will work much better, as it talks direct to Hardware and has very little overhead. You will not have HDCP issue as much either.

The writing i was talking about is not for the streaming alone per say, but for the OS running in the VM (guest) and outside (host) as it competes with the running programs Both guest and host as well as the temp files for each. If you have different drive for all then you might get better results. That is one drive for the Host OS, One drive for the VM files, and a different drive for a VM drive file for use by the VM for recorded TV. Then you need a motherboard with concurrent disk read/writes.

kokorib

Post by kokorib » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:21 pm

Thanks for everybody's input. I will stick to VMware for now. My WMC works flawlessly. I wish I could install WMC on Win Server 2012 so I didn't have to virtualize it.

docmattman

Post by docmattman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:38 am

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm having the same issue (and same amount of hair loss). I've tried on both Windows 10 Hyper-V and also a clean Unraid setup. Both do the same exact thing. It works perfectly fine for live TV, but stutters many times while watching the same things through recorded TV.

I've also tried installing onto an SSD with Unraid. Nothing seems to help or did this issue. It's driving me nuts and the wife is ready to kill me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kokorib

Post by kokorib » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:51 am

It's disheartening to see that this issue persists. I was never able to make it work in a Windows virtualized environment. I ended up using 8.1 Pro with hyper-V and installed WMC on the HOST system. It was used like that for 5 years until my switching to youtubeTV a few months ago.