infiniTV ETH 6 stops working

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
nightFever

HTPC Specs: Show details

infiniTV ETH 6 stops working

Post by nightFever » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:29 pm

I have been using the ETH 6 for a few weeks, and have had the much commented low signal, subscription needed etc issues seen so often on this board. The main problem though was that I would often get the no tuners available error while watching a show. When that would happen, I could still ping the ETH 6 and access it's GUI in a browser from my htpc, however the Ceton Diagnostics Tool could not find the ETH6, and of course neither could WMC. If I looked at the tuner on the GUI page, the show that I had been watching would still show that it was playing, from that point of view everything looked normal. I had low signal strength (-9) because of going through 2 splitters, so I decided to move the ETH6 closer to my Comcast demarc. Previously, it was plugged into a network hub along with my htpc. My signal strength improved to a general -1. Things were great for about 10 days, then all of a sudden I am getting the same no tuners available problem and the same able to ping and view the ETH6 on the GUI, but the Ceton Diagnostics Tool nor WMC see the ETH6. I run speedtest.net and get 35 mb/s on the htpc segment of my network. The ETH6 is plugged into my router, the router in turn is plugged into the Comcast modem.

Just before typing this out, I replaced the power adapter supplied with the ETH6. The supplied power supply was not warm at all, so it was not likely being overworked, but I replaced the 1.5 amp with a 2 amp/12v. We will see if that helps any.
I need to power cycle the ETH6 to get it working again after the no tuner error.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

nightFever

Post by nightFever » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:41 am

Let me add a few more items.
The new power adapter did not help, it failed again. Today it failed several times. When it did, I was only watching 1 show and not recording any. At present I only have one computer, the htpc using the tuners. I updated the ETH6 firmware today to the beta 14.10.3.163. It has failed a couple of times since, but it is now running for more than 3 hours without needing a power cycle. That is much more than usual over the last few days. The temperature is around 44 degrees. So, when it fails, all I need to do is power cycle the ETH6, don't need to restart the receiver service or even WMC. As soon as the CC starts communicating with Comcast, I get programming back.
Thanks for reading and pondering...

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:57 am

A few other things to help figure this out.....

What is your cable company?
What type of cableCARD? Moto/Cisco/etc
Do you have SDV in your area?
If you're on a Cisco Headend, what is your cableCARD FW?
(Click cableCARD on the webgui and then click the diagnostic tab and you'll see this for a Cisco card:
Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Diagnostics
H/W Model: 0800, Ver: 0012
MAC Address: 00:21:BE:A3:39:DF
SL. No: PKKWJVDQS, Mode: MMODE
Boot Time
Sat Nov 29 2014, 9:51:28 PM GMT
Current Time
Sat Nov 29 2014, 11:51:41 PM GMT
Free Memory: 1522 KB
Bldr Ver: 124
OS Ver: PKEY2.0.1_F.p.0801
Build Time: Mar 31 2014, 15:12:04
Resource Status: 00021C1F00027DBF
BFS: Received, Hub ID: 44
The bold line is your power key firware. This may not be a problem with your equipment, I've been going through sporatic problems with a six tuner pcie tuner with TWC and I don't think it is anything to do with my equipment but something going on with TWC.

When this happens, if you can get to the web gui page for your tuner there are two things you can try.

One you can restart the cableCARD (you could do this by unplugging and plugging back in the cableCARD but alternatively on the cableCARD tab you can click clear channel map which will restart the card.

OR you can reboot the tuner, to do this right click on LOG and open in new tab (so everything doesn't go away on you) and at the bottom left in the command box type REBOOT and then send. This will restart the tuner without power cycling it.

If the first item works, something has locked up the cableCARD, if the second restores operation, then something locked up the tuner. It won't tell you what but in either event it could likely be something from "outside".

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:11 pm

nightFever wrote:...The main problem though was that I would often get the no tuners available error while watching a show...when it fails, all I need to do is power cycle the ETH6, don't need to restart the receiver service or even WMC...
After you power cycle the ETH, make sure WMC sees all 6 tuners. Go into WMC > SETTINGS > TV SIGNAL > DIGITAL TUNER DIAGNOSTICS >there should be 6 tuners listed.

It's been my experience that after the ETH reboots, I have to reboot the WMC machine because it only sees 3 or 4 of the tuners. When WMC isn't seeing all the tuners, it will often cough up the no tuners available message.

nightFever

Post by nightFever » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:47 pm

thanks for the suggestions.
As quickly as this problem started, it seems to have stopped, the ETH6 has operated normally since Friday, the day that I loaded the latest beta FW on it. It did fail once or twice after updating the FW, but it has been working fine since.

Just to answer some questions that have been asked though.

Yes, all 6 tuners are recognized by WMC after an ETH6 power cycle.
I don't think that the tuner is locked up, as I can go to the gui page and see the tuner that I was watching is still playing.

I'll update this with more info if it fails again.
gobble, gobble, gobble.
cheers...