Windows 8.1 System Commit Issue

ewtaylo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ewtaylo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Just a followup to let everyone know that on the August Patch cluster Microsoft released an optional patch that fixes the issues I and others have detailed in this thread. I just got around to verifying that I can not have a monitor attached to my HTPC and I can run full screen WMC on the HTPC and then turn off power to the monitor without the system commits going through the roof.

A simple wait time of 4-6 months was required to get it all functioning again.

This thread should be marked as resolved.

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:38 am

I saw this post. I've been on 8.1 since it came out and never had this issue. I have my HTPC Intel 3225 Intel 4000 graphics HDMI to Onkyo TX-NR809 and Panasonic ST60. I wonder if it's because I never sleep my HTPC. Maybe because I'm using the Geffen HDMI Detective Plus between my HTPC and my Onkyo Receiver.

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:39 pm

There are several reasons you might not have seen it:

1) When you turn off your Panasonic ST60 (Ugh... I missed out on buying one of those, do you love it??) is WMC up and running or not? If "not" then you wont see the issue.
2) Your use of the Geffen device may be disabling 8.1s capability of detecting the TV has turned off. I worked around the issue by placing a cheap HDMI A/B switch between my HTPC and the TV.
3) If you are still using a windows 8 driver which supports HD 4000 you will not see it. The issue only occurs in the 8.1 Intel drivers. I had the 8.1 versions because I have HD4600 graphics.
4) Sleep has nothing to do with the issue.

I think you lucked out by having the Geffen device in there.