Windows 10 is the official name for Windows 9

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
jfreiman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jfreiman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:17 am

I was not able to do an in-place upgrade from my system running Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center to Windows 10 Tech Preview. It gave me the same information that others are reporting about how Media Center is not compatible.

I then installed Windows 10 in Hyper-v, put in my Media Center Pro Pack SN and low and behold it installed! Encouraged by this, I stupidly whipped my system clean and did a fresh clean install of Windows 10 over my working system (backed up).

I was able to install Media Center, get it to see and play all my recorded television (wtv) as well as play them back on my Xbox via Media Center Extender -- this was not possible on the Windows 8.0 Preview a few years back.

However, I could not get WMC to complete installing my Ceton InfiniTV devices. The drivers installed properly and I could verify that they were working by using the http: page. However, Media Center could not validate my system for use with Cablecard(s). It kept erring out repeatedly -- I think the error was something about "fatal error?" This was not an error I have seen with other builds going back to Windows 7 Media Center.

After trying to get the system to pass the certification tests with the "Windows updated" video driver (AMD R700 Series) I tried installing older drivers which I knew worked on 8.1. I was still not able to get it to configure/install so I had to give up and go back to Windows 8.1. :/

However, I enjoyed the borderless window frames in 10 so much I scaled mine back as small as they would allow (1px). :)

I'm guessing that the new Virtual Desktop "breaks" the strict parameters set by Cablelabs and the cable industry and that the certification process will have to be reworked for 10. I was hoping to test this out by finding a "hack" to disable the Virtual Desktops, but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone else been able to get their Cablecard tuner(s) working with Windows 10? If so, how did you accomplish it?

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:26 am

^ Wow you have been busy ;)

I'd say it really is too early to do much with the preview. It is only a small blip of a preview with a core that is Windows 8.1.
I'm pretty certain Windows 10 will get a lot of changes that go deep into the APIs & kernel, and change it a lot.
This will have the nasty effect of preventing many Win8 things working such as drivers, third party apps etc. until they are brought up to date.

At that point, it's up to MS if they tweak MC to work with it and I have to think they will not.

Just my 2c.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

SpunkyAZ

Post by SpunkyAZ » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:03 pm

I posted this to the feedback forum for Windows 10 Preview today

Windows 10 Preview installation, install date - 10/02/14

PC - Acer Aspire x1301, AMD Athlon II X2 215 2.70 Ghz processor, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Nvidia HD graphics adapter. 64 bit OS x64 based processor

Upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit with Windows Media Center. This PC was my primary HTPC until I upgraded 8 months ago to a new PC with Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC. My HTPC’s are served by two SiliconDust HDHR Prime cablecard TV tuners.

Notes from initial upgrade.
Windows Update facilitated the download and installation.
Upgrade took 2 hours,:15 minutes.
Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard still work
Nvidia video drivers did not install, default display resolution, no sound
Installed same Nvidia driver which was running in Win7, 327.3 got hd res and sound
PC remained connected via HDMI cable through AV receiver to HD TV throughout the upgrade process.
Teamviewer still works
All music and videos still intact
WMP plays music fine.
WMP will not play video from TV shows recorded with Windows Media Center.
Documents folder got emptied during upgrade..
Windows Defender replaced Microsoft Security Essentials
New apps have been added to menu. So far all old apps work except WMC which was uninstalled during the upgrade.
I had to change my login to get access to the “Store” .
The “Store” offerings are meager. I want Windows Media Center.
Malwarebytes ver 2.x scanning HD OK.
Installed Cyberlink PowerDVD 14 Ultra. I was able to play WMC TV recorded files and watch live TV from the HDHR Prime tuners on unprotected and DRM channels.
Homegroup function is working.
WMP still has DLNA functionality.

10/03/14 - Assessment after one day
The Windows 10 preview is fully functional with the exception of the lack of Windows Media Center. The features and functionality are very much like Windows 8.1 Pro with an improved UI. I like the new start menu, but the tiles are mostly a curiosity for me. I have 4 Windows PC’s. None of them have touch screens and two of them are connected to TV’s.

There was no freezing, blue screen, lockups or otherwise failures during the installation and initial use. I was concerned because the upgrade process took over 2 hours, mostly unattended.

I will miss the Windows Media Center until it is restored. The DVR and EPG functionality are needed.

Thank you Microsoft for giving me the opportunity to evaluate Windows 10.

FYI SpunkyAZ

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:25 pm

theregister has a great writeup on this tech release. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/03 ... 0_preview/
theregister wrote:"According to the company’s marketing script, this preview is for enterprises to try. A consumer preview will follow early next year, and a developer preview in April, to coincide with the Build conference in San Francisco."

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:00 am

I did a fresh install on a Dell Inspiron

Specs, if it matters.
PROCESSOR, I3-380M, 2.53, 3MB, ARN, K0
HARD DRIVE, 500, S2, 5.4, 2.5, 512E, ML375
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 4GB, 1333MHZ, 512X64, 8K, 204

I would like to know what is the best way to get the pro-pack and also, has anyone had any luck with slipping the pro-pack into the technical release.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:31 am

Cancel my question.
Attachments
FoundYa.jpg

Mike!

Post by Mike! » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:45 am

Crash2009 - Are you watching live TV in WMC via your Infini4 pciE card?
If so, can you provide a quick run through on how you got there? I gathered from some previous posts (jfreiman) that there was an issue with Ceton drivers.

Thanks!
.mike

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:13 am

Mike! wrote:Crash2009 - Are you watching live TV in WMC via your Infini4 pciE card?
If so, can you provide a quick run through on how you got there? I gathered from some previous posts (jfreiman) that there was an issue with Ceton drivers.

Thanks!
.mike
No, It was not my intent to mislead. This is on an old I3 Inspiron laptop. The show playing was from my HTPC's Recorded TV folder. I am unable, at this time, to test live TV through WMC. I did however, test live through Gotham 13.2, Server WMC, and the help of my HTPC's Infini4 Pcie. The result should be no surprise.
Attachments
LiveWeather.jpg

Mike!

Post by Mike! » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Ah, got it. For a minute there, I had my hopes up.

Thanks!
mike

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:46 am

Is this going to be the official Windows 10 thread?

I installed it on my old Toughbook which has a touchscreen. I did attempt to use my 8.1 Media Center key to install MC. It accepted and installed MC but wouldn't launch. It generates an automated crash report almost every time.

In the Microsoft forums MS has been receptive to the feedback regarding Media Center not working. Since it will be a free upgrade for 8/8.1 users I suspect they will make it work.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:10 am

kd6icz wrote:Is this going to be the official Windows 10 thread?

I installed it on my old Toughbook which has a touchscreen. I did attempt to use my 8.1 Media Center key to install MC. It accepted and installed MC but wouldn't launch. It generates an automated crash report almost every time.

In the Microsoft forums MS has been receptive to the feedback regarding Media Center not working. Since it will be a free upgrade for 8/8.1 users I suspect they will make it work.
So if I wanted to move to 10 MC if it works, wonder if I should go ahead and invest in an 8 Pro upgrade now. Looks like you can get an upgrade key for about ~70 bucks. Not bad if the upgrade to 10 from 8 will be free.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:15 am

kd6icz wrote:Is this going to be the official Windows 10 thread?
Yes, until the first release candidate is available. We don't need multiple threads now.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

poit57

Post by poit57 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:00 pm

Regarding WMC on the Windows 10 Technical Preview, this is what someone listed as a "Microsoft Support Engineer" had to say on the official forum:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... eddc293d09
We apologize for not catching this before we launched Tech Preview; we did not intend for you to be able to use a purchased product key on a preview build.

We do not recommend adding Media Center to Windows 10 Technical Preview as using a purchased product key will also prevent you from getting updates and future builds for Windows 10 Technical Preview.

To make sure you get updates for Tech Preview, we recommend that you download the ISO file and perform an in-place upgrade to re-install Windows 10 Technical Preview.

With that being said, I still plan to experiment with the technical preview this weekend and see if I can actually get WMC set up on a spare computer.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Lee

poit57

Post by poit57 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:28 pm

I was able to add Media Center to my technical preview installation. I can't successfully complete the Digital Cable Advisor, and the guide is not updating. I can, however, successfully tune to any of the ClearQAM channels that my HDHomeRun Prime picks up.

I have voted on the uservoice website to keep Media Center support in Windows 10.

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:26 pm

milli260876 wrote:https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/26 ... 0center%20

Uservoice, you know the drill....
Thanks for the link. Just voted. For others looking for it, it is currently sitting on page 3 with 368 votes.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:12 am

poit57 wrote: I can't successfully complete the Digital Cable Advisor,
have you tried a manual download and install of playready. Then DCA after?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Apparently if you install mediacenter it glitches back to 8.1 and you won't get any further windows 10 updates...
Lee

STC

Post by STC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:43 pm

The preview appears to be very much still an 8.1 core with a few changes to the GUI to show bits of what 10 will be like.

poit57

Post by poit57 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
poit57 wrote: I can't successfully complete the Digital Cable Advisor,
have you tried a manual download and install of playready. Then DCA after?
Playready installed just fine. It is just the DCA that is giving an error. I'm not too worried about it. I'll just wait and see if Media Center is included whenever the consumer preview is released.