How to actually rename a new channel

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to actually rename a new channel

Post by stevethebrain » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:03 pm

How to actually rename a new channel in W7MC new channel 12.3 grit in Montgomery, AL

new channel grit channel 12.3 grit comes in w/ my TV tuner (that's when the other channel 12s come in).weird thing is I didn’t even scan the TV for additionale channels 12.3 just appeared on the TV’s tuner.

my maganvox dvr has reconized 12.3

however when I scan the PC Windows 7 media center and my Hauppage TV tuners for more digital channels Grit channel 12.3 isn't reconized?

I even manually entered channel 12.3 then W7MC asked what the name of the channel was so I entered Grit.

what is the actualle name like could it be WSFA ????KFVS12

when I look at the other channels 12 in W7MC I see this
12.1 WSFADT(WSFA-DT)-NBC Affilate
12.2WSFADT2(WSFA-DT2)-Independent

So I attemped to rename the channel letters from Grit
Tasks/tv/guide/editchannels to
12.3WSFADT3(WSFA-DT3)-Independent

after the rename When I look at the TV guide all of this is spelled out 12.3WSFADT3(WSFA-DT3)-Independent
When I observe the other channel 12s in the guide12.1 & 12.2
I see
12.1WSFADT
12.2 WSFADT2

the W7MC TV guide has no data.
any tips I like more channels.

Thanks STB

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:29 am

Its not listed over at zap2it (any guide issues check there first)

It used to be they had a nice form to fill out for listings problems now their only contact seems to be using the feedback (at) zap2it . com I have heard they still have great response to issues like this just don't mention WMC just that you would like the listing updated to include it for your zip code (I would probably give a link to http://www.wsfa.com/category/1581/programming to show them what should be included and maybe even mention titantv seems to have it ). Within a day or 2 of the data showing up on zap2it, it will filer down to WMC as the parent of zap is who provides the data for WMC. Personally I would probably just name it GRIT until the real guide data comes in.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:31 pm

Go into the guide and right click the channel and then Edit Channel. Then select Edit Listings and see if Grit is listed anywhere in the provided list. WMC associates program listings to a station via callsign so if the listing as named Grit and the station is named WSFADT3, the two wont get associated together in the guide.

If Grit or WSFADT3 isnt listed anywhere, you'll just have to wait for zap2it to get their act together and provide the guide data.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:06 pm

signcarver wrote:Its not listed over at zap2it (any guide issues check there first)

It used to be they had a nice form to fill out for listings problems now their only contact seems to be using the feedback (at) zap2it . com I have heard they still have great response to issues like this just don't mention WMC just that you would like the listing updated to include it for your zip code (I would probably give a link to http://www.wsfa.com/category/1581/programming to show them what should be included and maybe even mention titantv seems to have it ). Within a day or 2 of the data showing up on zap2it, it will filer down to WMC as the parent of zap is who provides the data for WMC. Personally I would probably just name it GRIT until the real guide data comes in.
would you suggest that I continue to scan W7MC for additionalle channels? even though the TV and the DVR automaticalley added the grit channel?
Thanks STB

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:08 pm

dmagerl wrote: If Grit or WSFADT3 isnt listed anywhere, you'll just have to wait for zap2it to get their act together and provide the guide data.
OK I'll just have to wait, because either Grit or WSFADT3 is listed.

I'll report back w/ results.
Thanks STB

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:36 am

today I scanned for more channels and Grit showed up in the PCs tuners so I'll next update the guide.

I probablley won't even watch grit because they play the oldies but it's nice to increase the # of channels.
Thanks STB