HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:51 pm

cKuR6 wrote: My setup:
TWC Cable card in InfiniTV6
2 ceton echos
2 Rokus
TWC 50/5
Netgear n750
House wired through MoCA (channelmasters)

HTPC (functioning only as DVR no TV viewing on machine):

How are you playing recorded TV stuff on Rokus? TWC copyright protects everything but the locals.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:11 pm

Mostly, my younger sons are watching the old tv shows from the local .2 channels. However, they do not lock everything as I've read many places. For example, my older son watched Journey 2 and some other movie I recorded, which were not captured from locals.
The majority of recordings are copy once though.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:44 am

The Echo has no bearing on anything here. It doesn't control how you set record settings.

The way to control record settings up front is to select the show you want to record such that the show's description is up in the big window, choose the Record item in the first screen, then go over one screen and there's where you can select how you want recording to happen.

Remember, the Echo--and any WMC extender--does nothing but present the WMC computer screen itself to you, in a special remote desktop session. You aren't controlling the Echo; you're controlling WMC on the WMC box, just like you were on the WMC box directly.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:54 pm

There are learning curves with everything. Technically what you've stated is accurate. However, I know of no way to setup a recording, without first setting it to record, then accessing the settings and changing them. There is no recording settings available from the extender, until the recording has been scheduled. Thus, if I set an I progress show to record, then change the recording settings, such as extend record time, I end up with more than one file as the recording reschedules and starts over. Not an issue any longer as I have more than enough space and generally have things set to record in advance. This was more of an issue with setting things up and remembering to record something when I saw it in progress in the guide.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:11 am

You're correct. I think what you want is to press Record and have that pop up a box where you can set the settings and then press OK. WMC doesn't work like that.

What you can do is set your recording defaults to what you want to happen for the most part, so that when you press Record those settings are applied. Then the odd times you want something else to happen are the only times you'll have to access the program's record settings and change them.

I've been doing it this way for almost 4 years now; the default settings are pretty much what I want all the time, and it works out well.