Media Center Studio stopped working?

epayson85

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center Studio stopped working?

Post by epayson85 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:58 am

Somewhere a wmc update killed the menu changes I setup in wmc via mcstudio. It started a week ago but as long as I ran the mcstudio fix then it would be fine again for a other day. Now the fix does absolutely nothing and all the menus are resorting to their defaults. Has anyone else seen this? Anyone have a fix? Or am I one of the few people still using mc studio?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:14 am

Have you tried system restore?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:48 pm

I had this happen as well but was able to fix it by opening the Startup folder and running MCSfix from there. Was fine after that even after rebooting.

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:17 pm

Get MCE Reset Toolbox - same functionality but it actually works. I use the menu changes fix all the time. I wish I knew what breaks by menu changes all the time though. Surely they're not pushing that many WMC updates.

www.acs-digital-media.com/

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:56 pm

My menu is botched as well. Some of my modifications stuck but the TV and movie rows are back to default. I also changed order or rows and that has reverted back as well.

I'm sure reset toolbox works but so did mcs until a week or two ago. My MC is due for a reformat as my current windows install is about four years old and showing signs of it. I'll probably just avoid customizing menus next time around.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:33 am

mcewinter wrote: My MC is due for a reformat as my current windows install is about four years old and showing signs of it. I'll probably just avoid customizing menus next time around.
I believe that is a wise decission. I have tried both programs and been less than happy with permancy of the results plus I have suffered adverse effects, most likely resulting from there use.
Dump them they are not worth the candle!

Win7Demon

Post by Win7Demon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:56 am

nathagt wrote:Get MCE Reset Toolbox - same functionality but it actually works. I use the menu changes fix all the time. I wish I knew what breaks by menu changes all the time though. Surely they're not pushing that many WMC updates.

http://www.acs-digital-media.com/
Select Fix MCE Menu's on the Start Menu Tab in MCE RTB this removes any changes made by mcupdate.

This can also be scheduled to run daily/weekly to undo any updates.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:13 pm

Ok, the end all fix for this is what I used, I posted this someplace and cant find it right now. I set this up over a year and 1/2 ago, and I have never lost my settings once.

Use the MCSfix file, go into the scheduled tasks, Find the MCUPDATE, open/edit the task. Where it says (doing this off the top of my head), Action, Click add, add a shortcut to the MCSfix file, and save it. You want the MCupdate to run first, then the MCSfix right after it.

So, when ever MCupdate runs, the MCSfix will run right after it and you will never see a change, EVER.

If you cant figure it out, I'll take a look over my settings and post back with better directions.

Works flawlessly....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012