WMC & Hauppaugge Remote?

JWA

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC & Hauppaugge Remote?

Post by JWA » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Having what might be small issues, hoping the collective wisdom here can help out.

By using just the WMC remote how can I exit WMC or minimize the full-screen view? I've tried pushing every button but so far I need a mouse to do either of those two actions.

Also, I want to leave my computer in a sleep mode almost constantly however when a scheduled event is over it stays on despite my having previously put it to sleep, long before the scheduled event. Is there a setting somewhere in Win8.1 Pro I'm missing?

Thanks in advance all!

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:41 pm

JWA wrote:Having what might be small issues, hoping the collective wisdom here can help out.

By using just the WMC remote how can I exit WMC or minimize the full-screen view? I've tried pushing every button but so far I need a mouse to do either of those two actions.!
Tasks> Shutdown> Close

This will exit WMC
JWA wrote:Also, I want to leave my computer in a sleep mode almost constantly however when a scheduled event is over it stays on despite my having previously put it to sleep, long before the scheduled event. Is there a setting somewhere in Win8.1 Pro I'm missing?
I've had numerous sleep problems with 8.x myself - in fact - you can find people with sleep problems all over the net on 8.x. Everything I did/looked into yielded no results. I just went back to 7. Sorry, that might not be 'the answer you were looking for :( I will maybe try going back to 8.x after the current TV season - maybe an OS update or some other info on the net by then will allow me to fix the sleep issues.

JWA

Post by JWA » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks Ed----this should let me exit via just the remote.

Kinda sucks if returning to a sleep mode isn't available reliably. Perhaps setting the sleep mode in Power Options might work, choosing an interval suitable to my needs.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:34 pm

I have 2 identical PCs, one with 7 and one with 8.1. The latter simply will not sleep/wake reliably no matter what I try.

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:46 pm

The secret to getting windows 8.1 to sleep is disable Homegroup and set your network adaptor's power management settings in device manager to only wake from magic packets

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:04 pm

wbroadley wrote:The secret to getting windows 8.1 to sleep is disable Homegroup and set your network adaptor's power management settings in device manager to only wake from magic packets
Nope, already tried/applied those settings. Still won't fix the sleep issues on Win 8.x

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Weird, I don't have any sleep issues with windows 8.1. Are you using any other programs that might be preventing it from sleeping?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Nope. And powercfg reports indicate nothing when you generate a report as well.

JWA

Post by JWA » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:38 am

My Win8.1's insomnia was induced by automatic update settings trying to function as designed. Since this particular machine will never be online there's no need to update anything, at least not daily.

WMC and an anti-virus program were the main culprits---they've since been disabled and sleep mode works exactly as I need.

Thanks again all who are contributing here---very helpful!