Guide Download Issues Thread - Sept 2014

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
computech

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Download Issues Thread - Sept 2014

Post by computech » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:26 am

I am in the Dallas area and have TWC. About a week ago, they made some changes to the channel lineup and everything had to be redone. So I went through the TV Signal setup (a few times) and go it going. But now, I am stuck. The guides will no longer download AND retrying the TV signal setup no longer gets the guide. I have a Ceton (got it when it first came out and haven't updated in years), but it has been working since day 1 years ago. I try not to mess with it really. Here are the symptoms.

On Get Latest Guide Listings, I get:
"GUIDE DOWNLOAD ERROR. The guide could not be downloaded. Form more information, right click the Media Center..."

On Set Up TV Signal/Downloading TV Setup Data, I get:
"DOWNLOAD FAILURE. The new TV setup data could not be downloaded. The existing data, if available, will be used as you continue through TV signal setup."

Also, if I check the Event Viewer, I see:
"Failed to retrieve EpgLineups (Error:Unable to connect to the remote server)"
I verified a valid connection to the internet

Upon various google searches, I get a myriad of things to do and I am pretty clueless at this point. What the heck should I do?

Shortcut to Quick Fix: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5#p80288 (added by TGB Staff)

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:54 am

computech wrote:I am in the Dallas area and have TWC. About a week ago, they made some changes to the channel lineup and everything had to be redone. So I went through the TV Signal setup (a few times) and go it going. But now, I am stuck. The guides will no longer download AND retrying the TV signal setup no longer gets the guide. I have a Ceton (got it when it first came out and haven't updated in years), but it has been working since day 1 years ago. I try not to mess with it really. Here are the symptoms.

On Get Latest Guide Listings, I get:
"GUIDE DOWNLOAD ERROR. The guide could not be downloaded. Form more information, right click the Media Center..."

On Set Up TV Signal/Downloading TV Setup Data, I get:
"DOWNLOAD FAILURE. The new TV setup data could not be downloaded. The existing data, if available, will be used as you continue through TV signal setup."

Also, if I check the Event Viewer, I see:
"Failed to retrieve EpgLineups (Error:Unable to connect to the remote server)"
I verified a valid connection to the internet

Upon various google searches, I get a myriad of things to do and I am pretty clueless at this point. What the heck should I do?
I am doing a new setup on a laptop (new win7 64 bit home premium) install and have the same thing occurring but haven't had time to check it out yet.
Adams Cable, very similar to Time Warner, now, I am using a HD Homerun on this machine. I have several others set up already with Ceton tuners of different types.
They all appear to update without issue. Latest test puts data out to 9-23, from 9-12.
I'll be doing a clean Win 8 pro install this weekend and will report if the same issue arises.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Any one else getting update errors? This started yesterday on one machine and this morning I see it on another machine as well. Yesterday I did a manual update and client maintenance and it seemed to work on one machine, but maybe that was just the luck of the time I did it.

All this and solar storms predicted for the weekend!

This is an error connecting to the server and not a set-up error. Looks like a MSFT side problem, save yourself the trouble of running tv set-up over and over.

For the record (if you run these, you should open an elevated (administrator) command prompt and enter the command and switches below:

-u = go out and ask the server if there’s a new package to download (even if its not the scheduled time to ask)
-uf = same as above, but when you ask the server, say you don’t have a version – so the server will always give you a package to download
-pscn N = N is a number. Trigger a scan if its been more than N hours since the last successful scan (-pscn 0 is a valid input and triggers a scan)
-dbgc = perform a garbage collection on the database, deleting rows that are no longer referenced. (This is slow)
-nogc = don’t perform a garbage collection on the database, even if it’s the scheduled time.

it may be worth manually running the following to refresh the guide details:
mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc

Here is the command I was using:
mcupdate.exe -uf -pscn 0

%SystemRoot%\ehome\mcupdate $(Arg0) just mcupdate
%SystemRoot%\ehome\mcupdate -crl -hms -pscn 15 runs scheduled twice a day

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Same issues with EPG data. Only noticed because the wife's show was recording a half hour late. We use OTA so it's not Comcrass's fault (unless they are blocking the site for the epg update.
Ran mcupdate -MediaCenterRecoveryTask
Already tried multiple instances of mcupdate.exe -uf. My system time is syncing with internet time.
Every update errors out "Failed to retrieve Directory Service" (unable to connect to the remote server).
"Failed to retrieve MCEClientUX" (unable to connect to the remote server).
"Failed to retrieve NetTV (unable to connect to the remote server).
If this is a server error, do we pester Microsoft?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Name of your lineup probably changed. Just run TV setup again and pick the new one.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:09 pm

I am also getting the same problem for OTA listings. I have rerun TV Setup , selecting a nearby zip code and now get:

Downloadable TV Program Guide listings are not available due to previous downloading failures...

MCUpdate is giving an Event 0, Failed to retrieve EpgListings (Error: Unable to connect to the remote server)

and is now occurring on all three W7 Media Center PCs regardless of whether they are OTA or TWC.

Zap2it still shows data out for 12-days, so it would appear to be a problem with the MS server.

Anyone else?

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:04 pm

mdavej wrote:Name of your lineup probably changed. Just run TV setup again and pick the new one.
Should have mentioned I have run the setup 3 times with 3 different zip codes.
During setup I get "Downloadable TV Program Guide listings are not available due to previous downloading failures..."
This smells like a MS server issue.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:12 pm

FWIW - I checked the guide data via My Media Center app here at work, which connects back to my PC at home. I have programming for channels like ESPN that go out to 11am on Sept. 24. This is 12 days, which seems normal for me.
Unfortunately, I'm not at home to check the logs on the PC to verify any download errors.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:15 pm

If the notification area update works it'll show if there were any errors, otherwise you need to go to the event viewer and applications and logs and then Media Center and check MCUpdate. You won't see anything in Media Center about this error.
Log Name: Media Center
Source: MCUpdate
Date: 9/12/2014 6:23:31 AM
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: HP-Win7-64
Description:
6:23:31 AM - Errors during the last update.
6:23:31 AM - Will retry at 9/12/2014 3:04:20 PM.

The update on the Dell at 11:59PM 9/11 was successful so this seems to be hit/miss on the MSFT guide servers.

computech

Post by computech » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:47 pm

I did try it with 3 nearby zip codes as well and same problem. I also got the error (as others noted) that went something like

"Downloadable TV Program Guide listings are not available due to previous downloading failures..."

I guess if it is a MSFT problem, maybe just have sit tight and wait for things to get fixed on that end?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Definitely report to MS through regular support channels. They may not even know something is wrong.

dpt17

Post by dpt17 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:27 pm

I have seen this problem too whilst trying to change zipcodes for my region setup (I moved recently). The TV setup download failed on that "ENGlist" step someone else listed in this thread. I was trying to change an HTPC to my new zipcode to get the correct channel guide and had similar problems to other posters in this thread. The issue was present at 9:30 pm EDT 9/11 and is still present at 4:00pm EDT 9/12. I was able to setup a different HTPC in my house 7 days ago just fine so I think this is a new, recent problem.

I agree with the analysis that it is probably a MS issue-- I saw many flavors of zipcode+TVProvider posted here all with same problem so it's unlikely to be provider related. FWIW, I am Comcast in New Hampshire.

If anyone sees that the issue is gone, please post back here. Thanks.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:30 pm

I had this issue last week. Only on my desktop which I had replaced/upgraded the processor. I had to scrap the Playready and start over installing the tuners (not saying that fixed the issue just was a process I had to go through to get WMC working again) but during this process I got that error a number of times. It eventually synced up.

That was on the 4th. I looked in the logs for today and there was a couple instances where MCUpdate failed today. My guess is server problems.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 pm

I started a bug report

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... iew/970453

You need to sign in with you MS account to file a bug report. You can add comments to this report so they know how widespread this is and where server(s) might be involved.

chrisdfw

Post by chrisdfw » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:46 pm

I have found a work around. With a VPN setup for Netherlands I was able to rerun the setup and only find Dallas Digital with the correct channel map and download the update. Looks like US servers still have the old upgraded listings and that data is no longer being updated.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 pm

One for erkotz to knock on a few MS doors me thinks.

If only just to get the ball rolling....
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 pm

I have complete data in Chicago, for what it's worth.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:15 am

This is what I get when I tell WMC to update the Channel Guide & the data end date & time is later then when I started.

6:10:48 PM - Testing internet connection.
6:10:50 PM - Connection established.
6:10:51 PM - Retrieving Directory.
6:10:52 PM - Processing Directory.
6:10:52 PM - Processing of Directory is complete.
6:10:52 PM - The NetworkMetadata package is not available.
6:10:52 PM - Testing internet connection.
6:10:52 PM - Connection established.
6:10:52 PM - Retrieving ClientUpdate.
6:10:53 PM - Processing of ClientUpdate is complete.
6:10:53 PM - The ClientUpdate package is already up to date.
6:10:53 PM - Retrieving NetTV.
6:10:53 PM - Processing of NetTV is complete.
6:10:53 PM - The NetTV package is already up to date.
6:10:53 PM - Retrieving MCESpotlight.
6:10:54 PM - Processing of MCESpotlight is complete.
6:10:54 PM - The MCESpotlight package is already up to date.
6:10:54 PM - Retrieving MCEClientUX.
6:10:54 PM - Processing of MCEClientUX is complete.
6:10:54 PM - The MCEClientUX package is already up to date.
6:10:54 PM - Retrieving SportsSchedule.
6:10:55 PM - Processing of SportsSchedule is complete.
6:10:55 PM - The SportsSchedule package is already up to date.
6:10:55 PM - Retrieving SportsV2.
6:10:55 PM - Processing of SportsV2 is complete.
6:10:55 PM - The SportsV2 package is already up to date.
6:10:56 PM - Retrieving Broadband.
6:10:57 PM - Processing of Broadband is complete.
6:10:57 PM - The Broadband package is already up to date.
6:10:57 PM - Retrieving EpgListings.
6:10:58 PM - Processing EpgListings.
6:10:58 PM - Retrieving EpgListing.enc.
6:11:02 PM - Extracting 38617325_ListingData.mxf.
6:11:03 PM - Processing 38617325_ListingData.mxf.
6:12:57 PM - Processing of EpgListings is complete.
6:12:57 PM - Retrieving EpgListings.
6:12:58 PM - Processing EpgListings.
6:12:58 PM - Retrieving EpgListing-2.enc.
6:13:01 PM - Extracting 189859316_ListingData.mxf.
6:13:01 PM - Processing 189859316_ListingData.mxf.
6:13:18 PM - Processing of EpgListings is complete.
6:13:35 PM - Update successful.
6:13:35 PM - Next update at 9/13/2014 7:16:45 AM.

computech

Post by computech » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:42 am

Looks like it downloaded overnight. When I tried to update the guide, it gave me an error though. So it seems sort of random.

Now that I reset the TV signal, I have to redo my recordings right? Does it record previously recorded episodes because of the reset?

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:42 am

Oh the horror! I installed a new processor, so of course I had to rerun setup and get Play Ready again, and now no guide data at all, so I cant even set my channels up. Keep getting the circle of errors. What to do what to do! :o